General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooooooold Weather Riders.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 10:34 AM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 494 Likes on 196 Posts
Default RE: Cooooooold Weather Riders.

The coldest I ridden this year was 38 degrees.

Last year I rode to work on a regular basis with temps in the low 20's and was fine but I used a full face helmet.

I just got one of these and it works great:

J&P Cycle Balaclava

When temps get down into the lower 30's and below I use a pair of fleece pants over my jeans and under a pair of chaps. When I get to work I just take off the chaps and the fleece pants.

Cabela's Polartec® 200 Pants

Old 09-26-2006, 01:53 PM
scubabike420
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the T-10. I was a part-timer in the, don't laugh, PA National Guard during the late 80's early 90's. We had several guys that came off active duty from the 82nd but most were from Ranger Bat. Wasn't your typical guard unit.

Old 09-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Sporty12C
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: SC_Compact

The coldest I ridden this year was 38 degrees.

Last year I rode to work on a regular basis with temps in the low 20's and was fine but I used a full face helmet.

I just got one of these and it works great:

J&P Cycle Balaclava

When temps get down into the lower 30's and below I use a pair of fleece pants over my jeans and under a pair of chaps. When I get to work I just take off the chaps and the fleece pants.

Cabela's Polartec® 200 Pants

sweet SC... thanks a lot man. glad to hear the fleece pants worked out.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:13 PM
Alaska Bobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are my Alaskan Brothers and Sisters...I won't even tell you how cold I have riden in. You wouldn't believe me. But for all you that commute from Palmer/Wasilla into Anchortown, I was that guy on the Suzuki Intruder....lol

Get a snowmachine suit. Made for cold weather and High Wind. I also use a snowmachine helmet. Gortex is your friend.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:16 PM
saidin43
Cruiser

I'll just paste what I typed in another post

"When I had my Sportster, I had a hard time staying warm with a leather jacket, chaps and gloves in cold weather (below 45 degrees), and I had a windshield.

I ended up purchasing a gerber heated jacket liner and a pair of synthetic overpants, along with some nice snowmobiling gloves. Heres the theory behind it:
The core of the body is the torso and the head. If you start getting cold there, then your body shuts down flow to extremities, and they get cold, but preserve the core. Note that you don't nescessarilly have to be cold for this to start happening, your body simply has to sense that it has to keep heat production up to maintain your current temp.
If you keep the core warm, then more blood will flow to the extremities, and all will be warmer.

So when I get cold, or run in cooler weather, I turn on my liner, get all toasty, and combined with the better gloves and leg coverage, I'm ready to ride in really cold weather. Besides, a heated liner I find is more versatile than the heated gloves or grips for this reason. So I say try the liner 1st and some good gloves. If its still too cold, then do the heated gloves, or grips."

BTW, the pants work great...don't feel the wind at all.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:29 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Alaska Bobber

Where are my Alaskan Brothers and Sisters...I won't even tell you how cold I have riden in. You wouldn't believe me. But for all you that commute from Palmer/Wasilla into Anchortown, I was that guy on the Suzuki Intruder....lol

Get a snowmachine suit. Made for cold weather and High Wind. I also use a snowmachine helmet. Gortex is your friend.
Right here. Yep, it's kind of fun to listen to the folks from waaaaaayyyyy down South whine about the cold. The posts should be restricted to riders from Alaska, Canada, Scandanavia, and Russia.

Don't use any kind of heated gear myself. Just go with layers. Make sure near the outer one you have a windproof layer. Trapped air is the name of the game.

The nice thing about the extra layers is that it don't hurt as much when you go down on the ice.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:20 PM
sjhsc
Cruiser

I ride year round. I have some Olympia heavy insulated gauntlet gloves and wear liners under them. I have First Gear Killamanjaro Pants and Jacket. I layer a sweatshirt, shirt and long sleeve undershirt under the jacket. The only thing that gets cold are my feet and hands. My Heritage's windshield really helps, too.

I've ridden in single digits, but it's only about a 40 minute ride. I've also ridden 90 minutes in 20 degree weather and my feet and hands were killing me.

GC

Old 09-28-2006, 09:29 AM
beltfedM60E3
Cruiser

Pay attention to the weather report!

Use a facemask, gauntlet gloves, warm boots, layers, polypro.

Eastern Mountain Sports at the Park City Mall in Lancaster has some good cold weather gear; watch for sales.

When it gets down to 25 I put the windshield on.

You will find the airleaks very quickly! LOL

Ice and cinders are your enemy!

See you on the road!

Old 09-28-2006, 09:37 AM
Sporty12C
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: beltfedM60E3

Pay attention to the weather report!

Use a facemask, gauntlet gloves, warm boots, layers, polypro.

Eastern Mountain Sports at the Park City Mall in Lancaster has some good cold weather gear; watch for sales.

When it gets down to 25 I put the windshield on.

You will find the airleaks very quickly! LOL

Ice and cinders are your enemy!

See you on the road!

Park City Mall.... where are you from? I get down to park city from time to time, never thought to stop in EMS.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:21 PM
beltfedM60E3
Cruiser

I live in Manheim.

EMS is a good store...good gear and the run some really good deals.
I ride a '04 FXSTI...California Kid paint...lowered...apes...V&H pipes.
I have over 25k miles on it...may have seen me out on 30.

Keep up the great work! York Plant makes the best model!

Quick Reply: Cooooooold Weather Riders.