General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did anyone get good deals on helmets etc. when buying a brand spankin new bike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 05:32 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by onfloat
The dealership I bought from gives 10% off parts for a year as part of the purchase. So, I got 10% on my helmet, I still have 10 months to get more out of it.
Don't you get the same any time as a HOG member (and free 12 month HOG membership with a new bike)? I think any dealer will give that.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:34 AM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to pick any helmet I wanted, knocked a percentage off accessories, and installed for free. I just added a windscreen and backrest but should of got the stage one and pipes too but I gotten all the cash I could from the wife at the time.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:42 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They threw in a couple helmets at 50% off for my wife and me.

We chose the HD modulars.

A month later, my helmet rolled off the seat of my bike onto my driveway and the whole face section popped off. My wife and I went to the Kawi shop and bought Arais right after that.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:02 AM
jstew
Cruiser

Call around. Don't limit yourself to a single dealer. I found my bike for $500 cheaper at another dealership a couple days after I bought mine. Call and ask what their "best price" is. They'll ask you what you're looking to spend, just tell them you're looking to get the best price. Get their name and whatever number they give you and call the next store. Once you have the 2 numbers, start playing them off of each other. "Joe at such and such HD said he could do it for $11,999." If he beats it, start taking into consideration how far away they are and all.

So, the other place is cheaper, but they're farther away? Ask the closer dealer to sweeten the deal. "Such and such HD is $400 cheaper than you, but they're a bit more of a drive, can you do anything to sweeten the deal, like throw in some riding gear, 50% off accessories, or something?" If you're patient enough to wait til June anyways, start calling in May and don't be afraid to play 3 or 4 dealers off of each other. Your out the door price should be right about at (or below) MSRP.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:05 AM
JoeTag
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I got a $ 50 store credit toward the purchase of a new helmet. Not much.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:14 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Iamlegend21087
Hey all,
I am currently in the obsession stage about riding looking up everything from helmets to jackets, first time riders course and exhaust. The safety equiptment can add up real fast and I don't want to skimp if I buy (hopefully) my forty eight in june. Did any one get a helmet thrown in to the deal or maybe a discount on a riding jacket? 10K is alot of money for a bike let me know if you had some positive experiences or even tips on how to get a deal on helmets and what not. Thanks for the help this forum rocks!

Adam
I bought an '08 SG in April '10 and the dealer threw in a $200 helmet. Of course, I had to ASK for it. Also threw in a couple of shirts for my son & me.
My suggestion... just ASK the dealer to throw in a helmet or jacket or at the very least, to give you a discount.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

They took the price of the Rider's Edge course off the cost of the bike because I bought it before the class. BUT.....I didn't get a t-shirt!

Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 AM
The Ground Truth
Cruiser

got some off the bike and a free leather jacket. Not a bad deal IMO.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:01 AM
MilsurpShooter
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,842 Likes on 6,376 Posts

I got a free Motorcycle. Only had to buy a $16,000 T-Shirt.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:31 AM
will227457
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

free helmet thrown in for me....but it is what you make of it.

Quick Reply: Did anyone get good deals on helmets etc. when buying a brand spankin new bike?