General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving to Memphis,Tn

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 08:30 AM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone for the responses. We leave tomorrow for Memphis. I have the guns packed!

Old 11-10-2010, 10:41 AM
smokehiker
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Memphis put up new signs to tell you where the bad parts of town are...they say "Memphis city limits"

Pretty much sums it up!

Old 11-10-2010, 10:49 AM
rodnock
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by smokehiker
Memphis put up new signs to tell you where the bad parts of town are...they say "Memphis city limits"

Pretty much sums it up!
I got a good laugh out of that one too.
Basically every large city in the US has bad parts. Some more than others. Detroit held the title of Murder City for more years than anywhere. NOLA holds that title now. I tend to always keep my eyes open for anything out of the ordinary and avoid situations that could be toxic.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:16 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rodnock
Thanks everyone for the responses. We leave tomorrow for Memphis. I have the guns packed!
From all I've heard about Memphis, I'd pack extra ammo - but I still wouldn't mind visiting there some time.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:37 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I grew up in Memphis. Moved to Little Rock in 2007.

Bartlett and Germantown decent placed to live. Arlingoton is another. Stay away from Whitehave, Southhaven, Orange Mound, West Wood, Frayser, Millington, and well dare I say it.. Midtown.
I grew up in Midtown, but it has changed, and not for the better. When I go back to visit friends I hate going through the old neighborhoods. They have not been taken care of very well.
Most of my buddies live in the burbs now. We were rocking, clubin, trouble makin' fools when younger.
I have a buddy that rides out to LR to ride with me. I ride to Memphis, but it is flat there. 2 hours west is Little Rock, and it starts getting nice. I have a couple routes here that are really nice. An 11 mile, 22 mile, 43 mile and 88 mile routes here. I can also be on the Pig Trail in about 2 1/2 hours.
You might want to look into Marion, AR for a home, but then you have to pay AR State taxes. Marion, AR use to have really good schools.

Good luck. Stay off 240 :-) Unless you wanna do 85 mph and a lot of weaving.

FYI -
The hang out is a bar called Side Car on Whitten Road. It is next to Bumpus Harely. Bar tender there is very cool, and an acquaintance from my Best Friend. Bike night is on Wed.
Then some go to Joe's Crab Shack for a gathering.

Last edited by editbrain; 11-10-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:40 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,230 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Don't speed through Germantown!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-10-2010, 06:04 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry to hear that send wife and you stay do you work

Old 11-19-2010, 01:06 PM
rodnock
Road Warrior

Well, after a week and 2 trips from Michigan to Memphis we have moved. Hauled the trailer and some household stuff last Thursday and arrived noon on Friday. Left Sunday to go back and get another load including the bike. Drove straight through yesterday and got here 9pm last night. The living quarters are kinda small but serviceable for now.

Editbrain......Bumphus is about 3 miles from me.

wideglidebob.......she works I am retired.

carlgrover.........I am never in a hurry anymore, I take my time and enjoy myself. This adds frustration to the lives of those following me....

so far wife likes job, dog likes going out and not freezing his *********, I need sleep!

Old 11-19-2010, 03:31 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

3 miles from Bumpus sounds more like Bartlett than Raliegh

Bwana

Old 11-20-2010, 05:39 AM
Machen
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah Memphis is a little messed up, but, Make freinds with the locals and make sure you go to Beal Street and other attractions, just not empty handed.
All towns have there shitty areas, but Memphis is a great place to check out, JUST DON'T DO IT EMPTY HANDED, give it a few months then update us

Quick Reply: Moving to Memphis,Tn