Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Belt or Chain drive, what are you running with?
Belt drive
92.81%
Chain drive
7.19%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Belt or Chain

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 08:48 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how did you do 4 belts in for years ? i was a bit concerned about belts as id never had a bike with one before and everyone bar you , say the same thing , keep the guard on and apart from the very occaisional risk of a sharp stone splitting it they will last forever , 2 years warrenty on the new one fitted on the bike and an easy replace by popping one shock off , or is everyone lying to me ?

Old 11-13-2010, 09:10 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

harley's are about 90% looks (form) and 10% function (maybe moreso on the baggers)... it's surprising to see so many people like belts more than chains given harley's niche in the market. the chain looks about 100 times better than the belt i think most people would agree with that, the belt cheapens the look of the bike IMO.

like i said earlier it's not worth it to me to convert the bike now, but maybe if i bust a belt i will convert to a chain.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:51 AM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MADDOG187
how did you do 4 belts in for years ? i was a bit concerned about belts as id never had a bike with one before and everyone bar you , say the same thing , keep the guard on and apart from the very occaisional risk of a sharp stone splitting it they will last forever , 2 years warrenty on the new one fitted on the bike and an easy replace by popping one shock off , or is everyone lying to me ?
they are ignorant. that may help get the belt on the wheel pulley , but how do they propose to get it on the front pulley ??

they do not last forever , not even close. I 've had one go at 22,000 easy miles,had a buddy's let go on a bike he bought new and babied at 6000. got another friend who runs the **** out of his and never had an issue with clos to 90,000. thats the problem , ya never know

Old 11-13-2010, 11:37 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,973 Likes on 17,895 Posts

Originally Posted by WRAITH
TwiZted Biker, I've got 10,000+ miles on my current chain and sprockets. They are showing minimal signs of wear. I am using heavy 530 chain which lasts a lot longer than 520. HD switched to belt to meet noise pollution standards. If belts are better than chain, Why don't they come stock on sport bikes? I switched to chain because belts weren't lasting. I destroyed 4 in 4 years. The cost of replacing the belt and pulley ($580 Cdn) is very expensive, when compared to a chain system.

Hey if that's what works for you and your riding style it's all good . Chains and I have a long history of not liking each other . With the 520's I was going through 2 - 3 a years depending roads trip and the happy hand . Even using $200 + Tsubaki high end 530 O-ring ones lasted less than 20,000 with expensive sprockets

I ride my bike hard so I worked things to limit sometimes and over a few . When I went to 88" it just got worse ate em like candy , moved to Ca. with yr round riding and I spent $800 on chains and sprockets in 1 yr. Now add the the vibration factor , on a shovel if your running 70+ mph regular everything shakes hard it's not a fun ride for distance .

Harley didn't go belt for any EPA noise crap they were trying to solve a number of outdated design problems including the constant oil spot under the bike . Belts made riding one a nice comfy clean low maintenance experience , part of the draw to pull in new sales . Harleys were a pain in the *** for anybody not mechanically inclined , smart marketing on their part .

Belts been WAY less headache for me and I abuse them about as hard as it gets . Launched a locked throttle burn out and banged second no clutch belt did fine , spun the output shaft in the flywheel ( gave out 3 days later ) . 130' of rubber & smoke with a hell of a dog leg in it from a 38 yr old bike .

You went through 4 in a year there's a problem that hasn't been found yet . Harley is cruiser bike so belts make it nice , rice rockets are beat on hard so chains makes sense for them . Apples and Oranges guy .

Old 11-14-2010, 09:17 PM
sirash
6th Gear

So where did everyone who's running a chain get your conversion kit or what are your sprockets off of that work on a 99 softail?

Old 11-17-2010, 06:17 PM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TwiZted Biker, That's 4 belts in 4 years, not 4 in 1 year. The cause is, the sand and gravel used for traction on winter roads. I'm not saying chains are better than belts. I've said previously belts are fine for most Harley owners. As you said "what works for you and your riding style it's all good".
MADDOD187, Belts are not covered by your warranty.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:58 PM
mech-a-nic
Tourer

My King has a belt looks dont matter you cant see it on a Bagger.

But on my 87 sportster I had I changed over to a belt drive and it cut the Vibration bout in half! what a upgrade. Proble the best $ I ever spent on that bike.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:39 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 189 Posts

I just checked my 2010 Ultra. It has a belt. Had to get down real low to the ground to see it. Chains look better???

Old 11-17-2010, 09:56 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,973 Likes on 17,895 Posts

Originally Posted by WRAITH
TwiZted Biker, That's 4 belts in 4 years, not 4 in 1 year. The cause is, the sand and gravel used for traction on winter roads. I'm not saying chains are better than belts. I've said previously belts are fine for most Harley owners. As you said "what works for you and your riding style it's all good".
MADDOD187, Belts are not covered by your warranty.
Ya your road conditions are going to eat belts and sprockets fast and regular I can see that . I was going to pm you anyway about the specifics on what happened . As a mechanic I'm constantly looking for the hows ans whys of stories like yours to add to the knowledge base . Thanks man .

Old 11-18-2010, 03:49 AM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rmatt34
Like I said before, I can cut through a belt with my kid's safety scissors... but they won't cut a finger... would you use a final drive made out of fingers ?
Sounds like an investment idea, Belt drive, Chain drive, Finger drive. Could catch on.............

Quick Reply: Belt or Chain