General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Belt or Chain drive, what are you running with?
Belt drive
92.81%
Chain drive
7.19%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Belt or Chain

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 12:14 PM
adamsthephoneguy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

belts have a 75000 mile service length,quieter and alot cleaner.i will stay with belt drive.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,248 Likes on 5,624 Posts

I am riding one of the last factory chain drive bikes...with a modern o-ring chain there is no real maintenance....doesn't last as long as a belt but takes 10 minutes to change

Old 11-08-2010, 12:51 PM
red69camaro
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an 84FXST for over 20 years. After I picked up a belt drive I can say no comparison. The chain always made the bike a mess and the 10 minute took a lot longer when you had to change out the sprockets too. No carrying chain oil on vaca either. Can I chatter the belt.. Sure but I try to take it easy from a dead stop. Somethings gotta give either the clutch or the belt.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:08 PM
rmatt34
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red69camaro
i had an 84fxst for over 20 years. After i picked up a belt drive i can say no comparison. The chain always made the bike a mess and the 10 minute took a lot longer when you had to change out the sprockets too. No carrying chain oil on vaca either. Can i chatter the belt.. Sure but i try to take it easy from a dead stop. Somethings gotta give either the clutch or the belt.

or the tire ....

Wooohoooo !!!!!

with 90% of people favoring belts it proves my point that chain drive is better !!!

Just look at top forty music and the most popular television and then ask yourself..."do I really want to be in the majority ?"

So you guys can keep your belt drives.... and your "Jersey Shore"...

Last edited by rmatt34; 11-08-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:45 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=rmatt34;7508775]It's cheaper to do a chain conversion than to replace a belt (most of the time...) seems like a no brainer to me... My streetslob is the only rig that I have a belt on, BUT as soon as I break it (and I will break it..) I am converting this thing too...

Like I said before, I can cut through a belt with my kid's safety scissors... but they won't cut a finger... would you use a final drive made out of fingers ?[/QUOTE]

I TOTALLY would....... how badass would that be????

Old 11-08-2010, 02:23 PM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had chain drive all my life, starting with my bicycles. My current twinky is the first belt driven bike I got. And I like it. Come on, that white chain grease on the rims, the sprocket wear, the adjustments, trying to fool around with the belt clips when the chain breaks on the side of the road, and so on. I had a scottoiler on my Kawa, worked just fine, but was a bitch to install.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:56 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Had too many chains. Belts for me from now on. Unless of course I pick up an old scoot.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:19 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd take a belt over a chain any day. And I don't watch Jersey whatever

Old 11-08-2010, 05:03 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,231 Likes on 4,776 Posts

I'm runnin a chain. I actually like having to lube and adjust it from time to time. Makes me feel like I'm still involved with the bike beyond just riding it.

I understand that most shine and polish but to me that's not interacting with the machine.

I think that those of you that have been riding Harley's for a long time can relate to what I'm saying. Those that can't.....I feel sorry for you in a way.

These new maintenance free bikes are good I guess but we've lost one of the things that in my opinion made owning a Harley fun. That was the associations that we had with other riders that went beyond chrome and clothes. Some of the best riding buddy's I had I met on the side of the road when they or I were broke down and one of us stopped to help the other.

I have some very fond memories of sitting in someone's garage or carport or living room. Drinking beer, listening to music and working on our bikes together.

I guess it's one of those "If I have to explain you wouldn't understand" things.

Even though I miss those days I don't miss them enough to start riding a Pan again. I do still enjoy a little tinkering but gettin to old to be doin major repairs on the side of the road anymore.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:31 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

A big bad Harley can be stooped dead in it's tracks by a pebble no bigger than a pea.......That don't make it a big bad Harley to me, It makes it quite delicate.......like when the wifes vacuum sucks up a doily and snaps a belt......GIVE ME A CHAIN!.....a big bad chain........

Quick Reply: Belt or Chain