General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shriner Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 02:54 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by krusty1
The Shriners, who do many good things (and for whom I have the greatest respect, having a grandchild who has directly benefited from the efforts of Shriner's Childrens' Hospital treatment), are suffering from the end of 'fraternal lodge activity'...the same problem that afflicts the Elks, Eagles, Moose, Sons of Norway, and all sorts of other fraternal organizations now dying a slow death. The world has changed. Who has time for that stuff when we're all involved in an economic rat-race to survive (and I do not mean the statement in a derogatory sense to the Shriners or any other group).

We've come to rely upon government, rather than each other. And sometimes government has its own best interests at heart, rather than the interests of its citizens. Maybe it's time for me to wear the Shriner's fez.
Our Lodge membership has actually been picking up the last couple of years. Mostly people in their 20s and 30s.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:57 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tx-skydiver
This is an unfortunate fact that fraternal groups such as this are losing members du to the reasons stated above and it is up to all of us to keep these organizations alive. All (most) of them are very active in the communities and do many wonderful charitable works.

To be a Shriner, you must first become a Mason. I am a Mason, but not a Shriner. I have not stepped up to that degree as of yet...but do my part as a Mason to assist in Shriner charities.

Folks - I highly recommend joining any one of the fraternal groups out there that fits what you believe. If we don't do it, the gov't will continue to step up and insert themselves. If that happens, everyone loses.
I am a Mason but not a Shriner as well. Part of the reason why is that I am on the "fast track" to become the Master of my Lodge, so I am spending too much time studying the necessary proficiencies. To give you an example of what I mean by "fast track"....

I was Sr. Steward of my Lodge for 4 months before being appointed to Sr. Deacon to replace a fallen Brother; I had only been a Master Mason two months before being appointed to Sr. Steward. I was elected Jr. Warden of my Lodge at the next elections. I held Jr. Warden for two years due to work commitments. This year I was elected to Sr. Warden. I joined the Fraternity in 2007.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:58 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by fladawg01
One of the other factors facing them is that they rarely let outsiders in, thus shutting out some who may have wanted to be part of the organizations.

Simialr to Eagles, VFW's and other similar orgs, there haven't been world wars like WW1, WW2, Korea, Veitnam, and just in the last 20 years the Gulf war, Iraq and so forth.

These recent ones are a whole different breed of people with not much in common other than the fights on the battle field. Age differences keep many away from the older groups.

I too always enjoyed seeing the Shriners and there go carts and motocades of cars and Full Dressers. But then again how many parades are there any more as well?
Where do you get this misinformation junk that we "rarely let outsiders in"?

Old 11-18-2010, 03:00 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dortiz
The days of mom staying home and cooking for the family are long gone. With that goes the mens clubs. Now mom gets home as late as dad and both are worrying about dinner, kids homework and who will still have a job tomorrow.
By the way I am also open to Mom making enough money so I can stay home and cook. Then she can join the Shriners. Either way would be nice.
Nope... "Mom" can't join the Shriners. In order to become a Shriner, you must become a Mason. A woman cannot become a Mason in a regularly recognized Lodge of Masons.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:01 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Brewers_Fan
That's a sad state of affairs. My son has also benefited from the Shriner's hospital in Salt Lake. He was born with a club foot (luckily not too severe) and a friend of mine who is a Shriner sponsored him in. When he was born we still lived in Wisconsin and he was initially seen at Mayo Clinic where they did a great job on starting his treatment but after we moved we started taking him to the Shriner's Hospital. They have been absolutely great to work with and my boy is now four years old, with the only sign of the club foot being that his right calf is slightly skinnier than the left. Any of you who are Shriners have my heartfelt thanks for your contributions of time, money and effort.
All Masons contribute money to the Shriner's Hospitals, not just Shriners, so on behalf of my Lodge (I'm not a Shriner yet), I accept your thanks and humbly say that you are welcome.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:35 PM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ftanner
I am a Mason but not a Shriner as well. Part of the reason why is that I am on the "fast track" to become the Master of my Lodge, so I am spending too much time studying the necessary proficiencies. To give you an example of what I mean by "fast track"....

I was Sr. Steward of my Lodge for 4 months before being appointed to Sr. Deacon to replace a fallen Brother; I had only been a Master Mason two months before being appointed to Sr. Steward. I was elected Jr. Warden of my Lodge at the next elections. I held Jr. Warden for two years due to work commitments. This year I was elected to Sr. Warden. I joined the Fraternity in 2007.
Square, you are indeed fast tracking. As long as you are proficient in your craft I say good for you.

2BE1ASK1

Old 11-18-2010, 05:27 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bald1der
Square, you are indeed fast tracking. As long as you are proficient in your craft I say good for you.

2BE1ASK1
I am busting my *** to ensure that I am....hehehe

I have already Initiated and Passed brethren from start to finish minus the Lectures. Next year I will be Raising at least one Brother and giving at least one Lecture.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:53 PM
driv3rx
Road Captain

my grandad was a shriner,he played bass drum in the drum and bugle corp for 60 years yes 60 years he stopped after passing out in a parade in lubbock texas when he was 80 years old then he became a photographer for the shriners after that untill he was 97 when he passed away.i remember every year as a kid traviling with him and watching him march in paradwes all over the country and the shrine circus every year also.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:25 AM
4 inch pistons
Road Master
Received 142 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by shortride
I would imagine a few special edition models you see on the road are second hand and are not ridden by Shiners, etc.
I will attest to that.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:17 AM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Unfortunatly our lives have become so fast paced that most feel that they do not have time for brotherhoods of any type. Also, the mis-information that has been applied via the internet keeps a lot of people away.

I decided a year ago to slow my pace down and become a mason. I was raised in May and appointed a Junior Deacon in the June elections. I plan on going to the Shrinners after I become a past master as I want to learn and become proficient in all aspects of my lodge before I venture out to the other avenues.

In the past year we have had several come in and go through the EA initiation but about 1/2 have not returned for various reasons.

We do a lot of charitable work with the Shriners as well as Scottish Rite Hospital and York Rite.

I would strongly reccommend anyone making the time to get involved in one of the fine orginizations that are out there.