General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lesson's learned from motorcycle accident

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010 | 11:23 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by bama6977
[FONT=arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=black][FONT=arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]... "t-boned" a pick-up truck that pulled in front of me. He never saw me and I was 20 feet from him when he pulled out...
went over handle bars, flipped over hood of his truck and landed about 20 feet from impact on my back...

1. DOT HELMET PROBABLY SAVED MY LIFE...

2. CARRY MORE INSURANCE... I have USAA...

4. HIT THE GYM TO STAY IN SHAPE...
Glad you're on road to recovery! I had a very similar accident in March '08. T-boned a pickup with my almost-new '08 FXD, I flipped completely over the bed of the truck and landed flat on my back in the highway. Bike was totalled, but I got up and walked away; later discovered one broken bone in my right hand. I was wearing a new FF helmet (first time I'd had it on!), and it had some scary gouges afterward. I can't say that I always wear FF, but I do usually wear it on road trips.

Luckily for me, the truck driver had good insurance (Allstate) and they paid promptly. I've been a member of USAA since 1972, but my coverage has for years been thru Progressive. The coverage USAA offers (at least here in LA) is actually thru Progressive anyway; I checked when my Progressive policy came up for renewal and the rate quoted by USAA was higher.

I also frequent the gym regularly, and the medics noted that was probably a factor (along with luck!) in my minimal injuries.

Old 11-09-2010 | 01:02 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member

Glad you are ok and recovering. I understand completely about the insurance thing. Dumb Biotch that hit me only had the SC minimum of 10k property and 15k personal injury. My State Farm picked up and paid the rest.

I never ride without a DOT lid now, even around the block. I also slow down at intersections and cover the brake and clutch.

Old 12-10-2010 | 07:08 PM
bama6977
|
Road Captain

IT'S BEEN 3 MONTHS. OUT OF MY AIR BOOT AND ONLY NEED WALKING STICK FOR ASSISTANCE . LEFT FOOT AND RIGHT FOOT FREE...SHIFT AND BRAKE....FXDL IN GARAGE...I'M READY TO RIDE

Old 12-10-2010 | 07:23 PM
justanotherjim
Road Master
From: kingman AZ. We aren't in hell, but you can see it from here!!!

Well, congratulations!! Hope the weather down there is good enough for you to get a ride in tomorrow!!

Old 12-10-2010 | 09:21 PM
madden23
Road Master

Good post and glad your ready to ride again, it's been a while since my accident(August Friday the 13th), plates won't come out til January. All I have to add is if you ever see an old guy with a hat on, that can barely see over the dash, coming toward you in a Buick, slam on the brakes and pull over, because that "too old to be driving" SOB is gonna turn in front of you at the last minute, with no blinkers, because he is totally oblivious to the world around him. Between young drivers talking or texting on cell phones and senior citizens driving with zero awareness and the reflexes of a 30 yr old that just consumed 12 beers, it's down right dangerous out there. Be safe out there.

Old 12-10-2010 | 09:28 PM
Lindsey141
Road Master

thanks for the post.
glad your going to make out ok.
had a near, similar incident,(came within a inch of a broadside)
and took a few lessons from that.
get well soon

Old 12-12-2010 | 09:29 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Lightbulb

I, too, had a t-bone accident one night in 1995 on my '84 Goldwing. I hit him just behind the right front wheel, and I launched over his car, flipped and landed on my back. My helmet did its job, but I was bruised from the neck down from the impact.

I guess my comment is that no matter how long you've been riding (I was in my 34th year then) you can still be victim of another's actions. I constantly look for distracted drivers 'cause that's where they don't see motorcycles. Also, I don't like riding at night anymore because very often, our lights blend in with other traffic, and I find people change lanes without seeing me a lot.

One thing I learned from my flying days is the concept of "situation awareness" where you always stay vigilant for something to go wrong, and you always know what happens next.