General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lesson's learned from motorcycle accident

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010 | 05:29 PM
GMbagger
Road Captain

+1 on ALWAYS wearing a helmet. It's stupid not to wear one.

Don't give me that "freedom" crap.

Old 11-08-2010 | 09:10 PM
Stranger
Advanced

Glad you are doing better. Wish you the best in your healing.

Old 11-08-2010 | 09:39 PM
lownslow
Road Master

After watching pavement roll by under my face shield during the last accident, I kinda like my helmets now. Kinda glad my nose is still attached also. I tend to over due the gear but it's all I got between me and everything else.

I usually give a certain look to people I see texting or talking on the phone at a light these days. Probably why I like getting on the back country roads.

Glad to see you're mending and not ditching the riding. Heal well, ride long!

Old 11-08-2010 | 10:04 PM
Nick1
Road Captain

Best of luck to you.

Old 11-08-2010 | 11:27 PM
Avmech97
Road Master

Glad you are around to tell the story. In late August I had a cager make an unanounced lane change into my RG causing 8 grand in damage to it. I never imagined that a bike could take such a hard hit and not go down. Events like that will deffinately grab your attention. Hope you are back on 2 wheels soon.

Old 11-09-2010 | 04:20 AM
Stubby3492
Road Captain

Glad you're healing well. Accidents really suck.
Last summer a friend of mine riding a brand new softail springer got cut off by a car and t-boned the car in the rear quarter panel. This is the amazing part..... he flew over the car doing a summersault, and landed on his feet standing up. What's the odds of that happening? There was $17,000 damage to his bike.
The insurance refused to write it off, so he was without a bike all summer while it was getting fixed.

Just thinking, if he was in the Olympic Gymnastics, he could have got a perfect 10 score for the dismount. lol
Actually, I'm not trying minimize it or make lite of it, because an accident is never funny, but he was one lucky dude.

Old 11-09-2010 | 05:26 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member

I just looked at a web site with state liability minimums. Looks like it's not much - if you get hit in Florida, the minimum required insurance won't cover a broken leg and a totalled Sportster.

Old 11-09-2010 | 06:38 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by hdub2k
Glad your doing well Bama6977! In michigan, wearing a helmet is the law, but since my accident, I upgraded to a full face.

Can't wait unitl my leg is healed to get out and ride. ...it's been 15 months since I got creamed by a 19 year old girl.

Stay healthy.
Prolly texting,no doubt!

Old 11-09-2010 | 08:02 AM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ridewva
Certainly bikes with crash bars and hard luggage should be more protective in slide-outs. I doubt my FLHT's front crash bar could have offered quite the same protection as the BMW's cylinder but the FL's rear bar and hard bag would help at least as much as the BMW's bag.
I'm glad to see you will be ok and hopefully riding again soon.

I had a similar accident, T-bone, flew over hood, etc...

One thing to note regarding the crash bar is that although it may not be a complete protection device, it does allow the rider to launch off of the bike (in many cases) before the leg makes contact with the vehicle. Thats how it worked in my case anyhow.

Old 11-09-2010 | 10:29 AM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior

this is a very usefull post BTW. I am not a big fan of the death threads but a thread of lessons learned from an accident are worth while.

Quick Reply: Lesson's learned from motorcycle accident