General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lesson's learned from motorcycle accident

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010 | 09:21 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior

Glad you are on the road to recovery and for the very thought provoking info.

Bwana

Old 11-06-2010 | 09:30 PM
daleg3556
Cruiser

A couple of things...I grew up in Huntsville, Al in the 60's and 70's and am a huge Bama fan. Would love to give a Roll Tide but they looked like **** tonight. I am happy you made it through your accident as well as you did. As a physician working in an urgent care center I see everything you can imagine. I for the life of me can not imagine riding a motorcycle without a helmet. If your story convinces one or two riders to wear a helmet your post was worth while. Roll Tide. Dale

Old 11-06-2010 | 09:35 PM
daleg3556
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hdub2k
Glad your doing well Bama6977! In michigan, wearing a helmet is the law, but since my accident, I upgraded to a full face.

Can't wait unitl my leg is healed to get out and ride. ...it's been 15 months since I got creamed by a 19 year old girl.

Stay healthy.
There must have been a cell phone involved in here somewhere?

Old 11-07-2010 | 08:24 AM
hdub2k
Novice

Originally Posted by daleg3556
There must have been a cell phone involved in here somewhere?
Ding ding ding ding ding! Your a winner daleg3556. There was a cell phone involved.

Don't get me started, i'd rather not hi-jack this great post, but I think cars and personal communication technology have evloved together to a degree that is unsafe for everyone that shares the road.

WHAT I AM TAKING FROM MY ACCIDENT - Get a loud F*&KING horn and use it often!

Old 11-07-2010 | 09:30 AM
Scarz
Road Master

Two Sunday's ago I was out for a short ride and decided to end it with a stop at deLuna Park to watch any boats that were out and those that were fishing. I turned on to S Jefferson St which has parking lots on the right side. I watched a truck pull into the parking area but just as quick he did a U-turn back out into the street. He was half way out into my lane before he noticed me. Fortunately he stopped and I was able to swerve around him in the left lane. I finished my ride peacefully. IT made me think, though, about how protected I was had things gone worse. I always ride with boots, jeans, helmet (half or 3/4) and a jacket over a t-shirt. I'm now thinking about getting a full helmet and a better jacket than the hd mesh jacket than I've been wearing.

Old 11-07-2010 | 11:23 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...
1) All other drivers are out to kill you
2) Roadways are not track prepped.
3) So assless chaps, t-shirt, beanie and fingerless gloves anyone?

Old 11-08-2010 | 03:52 PM
Russ Brown Motorcycle Attorney
Former Sponsor
Default Motorcycle Accidents

I agree!!! Protect yourself and make sure you are covered both with insurance and proper clothing and protective gear. When I see pics of barely dressed motorcyclists I cringe.

Old 11-08-2010 | 04:32 PM
bbach
Cruiser

Ok skip it. I was going to get into an argument about helmets but it just ain't worth it. I'm glad you are ok and I do hope you understand that riding is risky and I'm rather happy that you had a choice to wear a helmet or not.

Last edited by bbach; 11-08-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-08-2010 | 05:05 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior

I always wear a helmet, it saved me. You can't beat USAA for insurance I have had them for over 25 years. Glad to see that you are healing and at least he had some extra insurance. Here in Oklahoma you are lucky that anyone has insurance my daughter is finding that out now.

Old 11-08-2010 | 05:21 PM
GMbagger
Road Captain

Is that picture of your bike taken at Raven's Roost?

Originally Posted by crackercap
glad to hear you are on the mend, the missus and I took a bad spill a year ago. It has taken over a year to feel back to almost normal. You are right, you have a lot of time to go over and over the accident, what happened and what could have happened. We are back to riding and hope you will be up and riding again soon.

Quick Reply: Lesson's learned from motorcycle accident