General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perhaps Harley Has a Wobble Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 08:55 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gruamach
That's the problem with settlements....you never really learn what's really the truth and/or cause of whatever the problem is.
And while lots of companies will settle because it'd be cheaper than even a winning lawsuit, everyone tends to go "If they weren't wrong, then they wouldn't settle" and automatically assume they know what's up.
Often that is the case, the defendant concludes that it is cheaper to settle rather than be involved in protracted litigation. The fact that Harley made the decision to “after” the trial rather than pre-trial, leads me to believe that they thought they had winnable case and a settlement was just an expedient economic decision.

However, cases are settled pre-trial because often the defendant conceders a signed non-disclosure agreement more important than the money. When safety of the product is in question; non-disclosure agreement are often a disservice to the unsuspecting consumer.

Companies keep on making numerous out of court settlements for decades on the same reoccurring problem and continue to sell the faulty product without ever fixing the problem. I think that should be criminal.

Jim

Old 11-07-2010, 10:01 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We should expect any 'stock' vehicle to operate reliably through out its complete performance operating range. Another words, if I take my stock Harley to its top speed, I should not have to worry about front end wobble that could cause a wreck. Based from what I've experienced and other feedback, many Harleys have a problem and a HD liability issue.

However, once we perform mods that extend the stock performance operating range, HD's liability issue could end, especially if mods contributed to causing the wobble.

I've had that wobble happen once, never want it to happen again.

Last edited by geargrinder; 11-07-2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-07-2010, 01:07 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Some of you guys act the wobble is a new thing. All pre 2009 HD touring bikes have a serious design flaw. The wobble as killed / maimed a significant number of riders. The MOCO is lucky / skillfully that it has never become a class action.
Just google "Harley wobble" or do you think every single incident was operator error?
I love my bike, but that doesn't mean that the MOCO has never had an engineering screw up.....

Old 11-07-2010, 02:12 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Any number of reasons can set off a sudden wobble or worse the dreaded " Tank Slapper " . The last is a real joy the handlebars literally go stop to stop so violently they are pulled from your hands , this one your going down hard been there and still have a few marks from it .

Biggest cause of high speed wobbles are all the crap baggers have hung on the front of them to make riding your bike like sitting on a couch with a lite breeze . Redirect that air flow badly and you pay for it with much lower safe operating speeds . MOCO isn't the blame here people we the consumer are like it or not . We want everything and don't want to hear that it might not be a good idea and god forbid we can't ride it at 90 mph when we want too .

Old 11-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Fnortner
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '99 Road King TC 88 had a wobble at speed in corners. I thought it was some fluke til now. Anyway the guy I sold it to reported no wobbles. It only did it to me twice, at like 65 in harder corners. I learned to slow down more. But the wobble was there.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:42 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Like PFWiz said, this is a very old subject. For as long as Harley has denied it, it's very surprising they gave in on a suit

Old 11-07-2010, 04:09 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Woooooobbbbbbblllllleeeee

My Dyna had a bad one that came from the MOCO at no charge. I took it in for warranty work and they lowered the front wheel air pressure and called it fixed. I really didn't like that fix because of the change to the contact patch but I learned to live with it.
The next change was putting some raked trees and a new headlight (bigger) on the new trees...Wobble came back with a vengeance..I've tried different things to change the air flow over the front but was never fully successful.
Finally changed the stock bars out for touring (?) bars and the problem went away. Hopefully for good this time. I like the riding position better than with the mini apes anyway.
Lots of folks mount a steering damper to fix the problem. That was to be my next step. It's not cheap, but cheaper than hospital bills or a funeral.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:57 PM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a 08 or eairlier touring HD you need a Glide-Pro. I installed one and the wobble is gone. Worth every penny and a much better system than bagger brace.

http://www.glide-pro.com/stabilizing-system/