General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipe Coating to prevent bluing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006 | 04:05 PM
MobileLightning
|
Intermediate
Default Pipe Coating to prevent bluing?

I was wondering what the best coating would be to put inside a new pipe to prevent bluing. I guess my bike is running a little lean. I have purchased a new megaphone but would like to take the extra precautions.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Name:  IMG_1616-1.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  89.5 KB

Old 09-20-2006 | 04:08 PM
marcus84
Road Captain
Default RE: Pipe Coating to prevent bluing?

No idea but that's a nice looking pipe, what is it?

Old 09-20-2006 | 04:09 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member

try Kreem

Old 09-20-2006 | 04:16 PM
MobileLightning
|
Intermediate

Its a V&H Pro Pipe. I am happy with the pipe but it is turning gold in the middle of the megaphone (you can see in the photo).

I will do a search for Kreem. I was told about some coating a while back but can not remember what it was. I remember it ended with "Kote". Supposed to be pretty good.

Jeremy

Old 09-20-2006 | 04:23 PM
marcus84
Road Captain

Thanks. Why not replace the air cleaner as well and have the dealership tune the bike? That'll solve your bluing problem.

Old 09-20-2006 | 04:38 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: marcus84

Thanks. Why not replace the air cleaner as well and have the dealership tune the bike? That'll solve your bluing problem.
Correct. You have a mixture problem, your bike is not tunned. It is very difficult to blue systems like that (double wall) so, go to the dealer in order to tune you bike.

As for the blueing, some Simichrome (the smoothest metal poolish) will take it out. My Thunderheaders were blue in the megaphone also and Simichrome took care of that. Use it but don't abuse it. Remember that poolishing your chrome deposit means taking thickness.

Regards.

Old 09-20-2006 | 05:12 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member

when applying kreem to the inside of the pipes, have the muffler portion uphill so the Kreem doesn't run into the packing.

Old 09-20-2006 | 06:12 PM
blown alcohol
Road Captain

Here is something I found while searching coatings. http://www.directparts.com/static/ar...eymuffler.html

Old 09-20-2006 | 07:40 PM
ChopperHammer666
Road Captain

I used a coating on the inside of the pipe from a company called KREEM. It's called Kreem Blue Shield pipe blueing protectant. J&P part no. 440-157 ($26) You have to use it on brand new pipes that have never been used. I used it on my Santee LAF pipes on my springer and It worked great. My bike is jetted and after 4,000 miles the pipes are slightly gold near the flange.

Old 09-20-2006 | 08:08 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Ceramic coating is the best, and you will not be able to keep the pipes coming out of the heads from turning even on a correctly tuned bike, that's what the sheilds are for.

Also some pipes turn if the sheilds are too close as well. 2 into 1 V&H on my friends properly dyno tuned bike turned just like yours because of the design of the pipes, if I remember correctly where they come together there's no sheild.

Quick Reply: Pipe Coating to prevent bluing?