General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipe Coating to prevent bluing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006 | 10:57 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default RE: Pipe Coating to prevent bluing?

ORIGINAL: cutacroshorty

It's interesting this subject came up because JET-HOT which is a company that ceramic coat exhaust systems inside and out is a very good product. The big name drag racers like John Force and many others use this service.

I restored a '65 Ford truck with a performance built 5.8L engine using JET-HOT coated exhaust headers.

The coating is a dull silver color but with the chrome heat shields, it wouldn't look bad.

The real advantage to the JET-HOT ceramic coating is that it improves the exhaust flow. With the ceramic coating inside and out the exhaust doesn't get near as hot.

If I could afford it, I would be doing the stock exhaust pipe on my '03 Ultra Classic. The chrome heat shields would have to be removed.
I have heard of them, what kind of money are you talking about, and are they able to coat pipes that have been previously run?

So far the ones we coated inside have done well, it is messy to do as you have to plug the ends, if you do the do it yourself just make sure you do it outside.

Old 09-21-2006 | 11:13 AM
cutacroshorty
Road Master

It's been a while but I think the set of Ford shorty headers cost around $269.00 to have them ceramic coated inside and out.

I just called JET-HOT and they quoted less than $200.00 for an average set of Harley Davidson stock exhaust pipes. They also said that the coating reduces exhaust pipe temperature by 300 degrees.

Believe it or not, you can hold your hand about 1/2 " from the headers while the engine is running and it's not near as hot as it would be normally.

The cost is base on the size and the amount of material they use. I don't know if they can do long pipes or not.

One other thing. I think the chrome that is on our exhaust pipes would have to be stripped and JET-HOT does that as well.

Yes, they can coat used pipes. The headers I had coated were 25 years old and had surface rust on them.

With the later model engines with management systems, I wonder how the improved exhaust flow would effect back pressure which some engines depend on. Maybe with the adjustable ECM, that wouldn't be a problem.

Old 09-21-2006 | 11:55 AM
Delmar
Advanced

I was concerned about pipes blueing also when looking to replace the stock pipes on my FLSTC.
I went with Hooker step tuned pipes because they are ceramic coated on the inside and the price was about the same as V&H.
Havent seen the first sign of any blueing so far.
I use ceramic coated headers also on my car (82 Vette) and they look just as good as the day I installed them.

Old 09-21-2006 | 06:52 PM
MobileLightning
|
Intermediate

I have used jet hot before as well. They are excellant. The problem with my setup is that there will not be a heat shield over it. Jet hotting is well worth the money but it only looks good under the hood (or behind a heat shield).

I want to say it cost me about 500 bucks to do a set of custom headers for a 351 Cleveland. They will jet hot used pipes but there is no warranty (i think). New pipes will carry a warranty.

Jeremy

Old 09-21-2006 | 07:05 PM
MobileLightning
|
Intermediate

I just called Jet Hot. They have nothing that will coat just the inside however, they are working on a product that will do just that. The salesman said that it would not be available for 6 months to 1 yr.

Jeremy

Old 09-21-2006 | 09:19 PM
cutacroshorty
Road Master

What would be great, is if Harley Davidson would offer as an option on special ordered bikes to have the stock exhaust pipes coated inside and out. I have been calling the service that JET-HOT offers ceramic coating but it's actually what they refer to as Sterling Coating. That's what I have on the headers.

Old 09-23-2006 | 10:47 PM
surv1
Road Warrior

JetHot ceramic coating....