General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start up procedure after stop on chilly day....carbed bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:39 PM
MGN54
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Start up procedure after stop on chilly day....carbed bike

Wondering what a good start up procedure is to follow after stopping a while on a rather cold day? Full choke? Part choke? Twist of throttle? On warmer days I follow the crack the throttle/no choke and she always fires off. Today is a rather chilly/windy day here I had a little more problem finding the right mix....this after pulling my carb and doing some cleaning after my "raw gas out exhaust" issue. Don't want to flood the sucker.

FWIW, the bike smells like it is idling pretty rich. I can come off full choke on initial start up after only about 10 seconds or so. I'm going to pull the plugs and see how they look. I put in new ones when I did the carb work. I have not tried adjusting the idle mixture yet though.

TIA!

Old 11-05-2010, 01:43 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I start with a full choke, then as the engine warms up, I'll ease the choke off. If the engine balks, the choke is pulled back out.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:53 PM
DMas
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kinda what Doc said- if the engine has cooled down alot on a cold day- I pull the enricher out full and ease it in as she warms up.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Captain Chaos
Road Master
Received 939 Likes on 363 Posts

Pull out choke (full) twist throttle between 1-5 times (depending on just how cold and how long it's sat) push "start". Fires right up within 1 revolution every time. After 5 seconds or so I can back the choke off enough to let the idle speed drop a little (1/2-3/4 choke). After that, 1-2 miles of riding (55mph backroads- I live outside of town) and it'll run fine w/ no choke at all. I imagine a few city blocks will accomplish the same thing.
I spent a lot of time getting my jetting right so I'm sure that plays into it. Mine is very easy to start, cold or not.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Full choke, rotate the throttle all the way twice, release all the way, hit the starter. If it is a cold day, grab a little throttle for 15 seconds until she settles in.

Works like a charm.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:15 AM
MGN54
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions! Looks like most use full choke again. I did pull the choke out after she didn't fire with the throttle cracked and had to play around with that a bit. Maybe I didn't get it pulled out all the way. It was kinda chilly yesterday and the wind was blowin like a momma so I'm sure she cooled down pretty good while I was eating lunch as I hadn't traveled too far at that. Probably have another opportunity today to try it again!

Old 11-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Panthers65
Tourer

I typically only full choke in the morning. ride to work, and at 5 I give it 2-3 throttle twists and it fires up, for the first mile or so I just listen and let it rev as low as possible without letting it die

Old 11-06-2010, 06:56 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Some said to choke, then throttle. That's backwards to me.
Make sure petcock is set to fuel on. I have always twisted 3 times on a cold start. Then pull choke. Semi-cold one twist then choke.
Shovel with S&S.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Dragon Rider
Cruiser

YA,YA - unless you have an S&S

Old 11-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I NEVER give more than ONE pump to the throttle, because that's a lot of fuel from the accelerator pump and extra is just wasted, puddling around in there.
Each bike will have slightly different characteristics of it's own when it comes to cold, lukewarm and hot starting. A rider should experiment to find what works best with the least choke in a given situation. You'd want the starter to work the least , so air filter, intake integrity and so forth should be up to par.
What works perfectly on mine might be door number 3 for you.

Quick Reply: Start up procedure after stop on chilly day....carbed bike