General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much time to spend cleaning a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 10:28 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How much time to spend cleaning a bike?

I gave my boss a lame excuse as to why I need to wear jeans to work tomorrow and not the normal suit and tie. He must have been distracted because he said OK. Anyway, it will be in the mid 90's tomorrow so I'm riding the Road King to work. At home I park the bike in the garage, but it was still a little dirty.

I try to limit myself to one hour of bike cleaning every two weeks. This works for me. I like to ride, not clean.

I went out to the garage tonight and cleaned the bike in 55 minutes. This included polishing the bike with Lemon Pledge. The bike looks good. Well it looks good enough. It looks like I ride a lot, but at least try to keep it up.

Two or three times each year I spend maybe 4 hours on a Saturday morning detailing the bike. I take off the bags, seat and windshield, and take my time cleaning everything. I've done this for years with my bikes and no one has ever said my bikes are dirty. Except when we are on road trips and everyones bike is dirty.

How much time does everyone else spend cleaning their bikes? This does not include maintenance. I do like to waste time in the garage working on and maintaining the bike.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:39 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

30-60 minutes tops

Old 11-04-2010, 10:59 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,661 Likes on 2,538 Posts

As long as it takes. I enjoy detailing my biotch as much as I enjoy riding the mufuh. Now that I'm down to 1 sled (sold the RoadKing last month) I can spend more time on Pearl,my Fatty. My favorite thing to do is to go out to the garage late at night after Family Guy & Robot Chicken, when there's nothing on TV except crap (come to think of it, that's 24-7) put on a CD, and detail the hell out of the chrome *****. I polish that **** till she shines like a diamond in a lightening bolt. Everything on my steel concubine is chrome, and it takes a lot of elbow grease to keep her looking like she was just given life.

"This is my Harley. There are many like her, but this one is mine! Without me, my Harley is nothing. Without my Harley, I am nothing".

Old 11-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Detail a couple times a year. Complete wash once every month or so unless I get caught in the rain. Lemon Pledge touch up in between.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:32 PM
razorback84
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like cleaning my bike... no wait I like the way it looks when I'm finished cleaning my bike. So I do it about once every 2 weeks

Old 11-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

It takes a couple of hours. Add another hour if I clean all the spokes and detail the rims.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:34 PM
shovel13
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"How much time to spend cleaning a bike?"

about ten to fifteen minutes a couple times a year works for me. Like was said before i would rather ride than clean.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:40 PM
EHLTB66
Tourer

Your suppose to clean these things ? Oh crap.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:46 PM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
As long as it takes. I enjoy detailing my biotch as much as I enjoy riding the mufuh. Now that I'm down to 1 sled (sold the RoadKing last month) I can spend more time on Pearl,my Fatty. My favorite thing to do is to go out to the garage late at night after Family Guy & Robot Chicken, when there's nothing on TV except crap (come to think of it, that's 24-7) put on a CD, and detail the hell out of the chrome *****. I polish that **** till she shines like a diamond in a lightening bolt. Everything on my steel concubine is chrome, and it takes a lot of elbow grease to keep her looking like she was just given life.

"This is my Harley. There are many like her, but this one is mine! Without me, my Harley is nothing. Without my Harley, I am nothing".
+2,

Bro i feel like such a douche bag, i spend hours on my scoot. if there is a ride im going to, i will spend at least three to four hours, going over every nut and bolt, making sure she is the cleanest scoot on the block. i really enjoy spending the day doing nothing really, just cleaning and turning bolts.

PTSD gave me a retirement at 45 and i use to go crazy just sitting around. bought the Scooter a year and a half ago, best thing i could have ever done. i can sit for five to six hours in the man cave with polish rags. its all worth it when we are at a event and i see people standing around my scooter commenting on how clean she is.

my wife calls my scoot "The Red *****," because i spend every free minute and all my money on my scooter.

we went to Vegas for Bike week and i made sure my scooter was in every pic. pissed her off, but she has gotten over it now... so she tells me

Old 11-04-2010, 11:51 PM
du510
Tourer

Sorry, I am with the other guys here. 15 minutes every couple months...

Quick Reply: How much time to spend cleaning a bike?