General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103 pwrpac w/ Woods 555 – 10.5:1 Pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 04:52 PM
greglal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 103 pwrpac w/ Woods 555 – 10.5:1 Pistons?

Hoping to get advice from those who have experience with similar builds.

I have a 2011 SG with the 103 power pack. From what I understand this means 96 smog cam, 9.6:1 compression, automatic compression releases, SE clutch spring.

I am adding/added V&H Monster Ovals, V&H Power Duals, RSD Turbine intake and a PCV from FuelMoto. I know, I know… the SERT is so much better, but I did the SERT on my 07, had in dyno’d and it ran ok. But anytime I wanted to tweak it I had to do it myself by getting advice on the forum. With the PCV and FuelMoto I have the support of Jamie/FuelMoto behind my fuel management and that means a lot to me.

The Woods TW-555 seems to be the best cam choice for me, a good all around power maker for a cam only mod especially on a light touring bike. Good TQ building low enough to roll on the throttle from down low and HP to keep me near the front of the pack on those occasional WOT rides. The numbers posted for the 103 pp have been very good to say the least.

My question is, will this be a good cam choice to up the compression to 10.5:1? Is this the right mod with this cam to further enhance the power? Or are there other bang for the buck mods that would get me further for the same or less $? I always run high test and I have the compression releases so upping the compression seems prudent. Without head mods what will the new pistons do for me, earlier/higher TQ/HP?

So if new pistons are the right next step with this cam, is there an SE piston right for the job… part #?

Any real advantage adding the Woods directional lifters?
Am I wasting money on the pistons without head/valve/rocker mods?

Good advice appreciated
-Greg

Last edited by greglal; 11-04-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:34 AM
greglal
Cruiser

No Advice?

Old 11-05-2010, 07:31 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

call Bob Woods and ask him he knows what will work with his cams

Old 11-06-2010, 06:35 AM
mps1168
Tourer

Call Jamie at Fuel Moto. He has a LONG LOnG thread on here under the "Touring" header someplace and did exstensive dyno testing with the 555 and posted all the results.

In short, the 555 cam is the hot ticket for what your describing.

mps

Old 11-06-2010, 10:08 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Why don't U go to the Dyno thread in the touring section and look at all the builds the membership did close to what U want to do.... them compare or send a couple PM's to them...

Old 11-07-2010, 04:35 AM
greglal
Cruiser

Good advice all, I have read tons on this forum about the 555 as well as the other top 5 cams. I have read through the build and dyno threads and that is what has led me to the 555. But I did not find a 555 with 10.5:1 compression without additional work.

Some cams perform well as a cam only but don't necessarily keep increasing with additional mods. I don't think that is the case with the 555 as evident with FuelMoto's 107 kit. Maybe the full kit is the best way to go but I'm set on keeping the HD jugs and using HD pistons. I'm really just trying to get an idea of what to expect from the increased compression using that cam.

I'm also hoping to find what HD pistons (part#) will get me there and if they are bolt in replacements without valve clearance issues.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:58 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Please keep us (me) informed how this works out, what choices you make...ect.
I am allready starting to think about what comes after stage 1 on my bike...

Old 02-13-2011, 01:02 PM
N-gin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by greglal
Hoping to get advice from those who have experience with similar builds.

I have a 2011 SG with the 103 power pack. From what I understand this means 96 smog cam, 9.6:1 compression, automatic compression releases, SE clutch spring.

I am adding/added V&H Monster Ovals, V&H Power Duals, RSD Turbine intake and a PCV from FuelMoto. I know, I know… the SERT is so much better, but I did the SERT on my 07, had in dyno’d and it ran ok. But anytime I wanted to tweak it I had to do it myself by getting advice on the forum. With the PCV and FuelMoto I have the support of Jamie/FuelMoto behind my fuel management and that means a lot to me.

The Woods TW-555 seems to be the best cam choice for me, a good all around power maker for a cam only mod especially on a light touring bike. Good TQ building low enough to roll on the throttle from down low and HP to keep me near the front of the pack on those occasional WOT rides. The numbers posted for the 103 pp have been very good to say the least.

My question is, will this be a good cam choice to up the compression to 10.5:1? Is this the right mod with this cam to further enhance the power? Or are there other bang for the buck mods that would get me further for the same or less $? I always run high test and I have the compression releases so upping the compression seems prudent. Without head mods what will the new pistons do for me, earlier/higher TQ/HP?

So if new pistons are the right next step with this cam, is there an SE piston right for the job… part #?

Any real advantage adding the Woods directional lifters?
Am I wasting money on the pistons without head/valve/rocker mods?

Good advice appreciated
-Greg

From what I have read around here about the noise, Reusing your stock pushrods will produce a ticking noise. If you go with a thinner head gasket it might help but from what I read the base circle is .020 smaller on the wood cam so you will need adjustable pushrods to get it quiet. Dont think you need to worry about lifters but probobly a good idea to have a better set then factory. As I have heard that stock lifters arent the best quality and what the hell you have it appart anyway right??
As far as compression if you have a 103 I will get cast flatops. Then fine tune the compression by utilizing different size head gaskets or machining the surface of the head. Im thinking high comp pistons will give you a headache. Besides why would you need forged not like your constantly in high rpm. Besides surface area is shorter on flatops so flame travel will be better. I believe you will be at perfect comp with .030 HG and 103 flatops.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:32 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

have U seen this thread, woods 6-6 vs the 555's....
done by Fuel moto... has all the dyno's and is probably what Ur looking for..

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...el-moto-3.html

Old 02-13-2011, 09:13 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just threw money down on a 2011 RK. I asked, they do not come with ACR's. Looking at SE-255 cam for it or a 254E

Quick Reply: 103 pwrpac w/ Woods 555 – 10.5:1 Pistons?