General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Ever Break a Drive Belt?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 01:53 PM
rmatt34
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by obonaventure
My Brother in Law's broke in his driveway. Talk about lucky!

Wow, that is lucky !!! (about as lucky as breaking your neck at the hospital..)

You are obviously an optimist !!!

Never broke a chain in all my years of riding and racing (bikes with well over 150 Hp )

weird how all the big horsepower race bikes aren't running belts if they are SO reliable...

Old 11-07-2010, 02:14 PM
BigBen
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have experienced 2 broken belts on my 05 sportster 1200C. The first was at 5,000 miles about 6 months after I bought the bike new. The second was at 55,000 miles. In both cases there was no sign of wear on the belt, the sprocket looked good, and the belt fibers weren't strung out. It was almost like someone cut through the belt.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,432 Likes on 5,023 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
Don't forget about having to drop the swingarm as well.
On the Softail you only need to remove the center tube of the swingarm, although once you are that far, you might as well remove it, and clean it up. That area can get pretty grungy.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

A fellow broke a belt today in a rather public fashion in front of Neptune's Net on PCH at the LA/Ventura County Line while attempting to put a bit of tire rubber on the pavement. Unfortunately the belt broke cleanly and in the process removed his left rear turn signal. Otherwise none the worse for wear but I'd imagine that story will haunt him for a few years . . .

Old 11-07-2010, 09:06 PM
glockholiday
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Broke a belt under hard acceleration on a dyna with a 113" S&S and thought it was due to abuse but while removing the swing arm I noticed a bolt missing from the belt guard where it would have fallen right onto the belt and then I found thread marks smashed into one of the teeth on the pulley so it obviously ate the bolt. And yes it would be an expensive repair at a dealer. The swing arm, outer and inner primary had to come off. It took me most of the day to put the new Gates Polychain on it. But yes, a chain conversion will be on my mod list when I get another bike.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:29 PM
rmatt34
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glockholiday
Broke a belt under hard acceleration on a dyna with a 113" S&S and thought it was due to abuse but while removing the swing arm I noticed a bolt missing from the belt guard where it would have fallen right onto the belt and then I found thread marks smashed into one of the teeth on the pulley so it obviously ate the bolt. And yes it would be an expensive repair at a dealer. The swing arm, outer and inner primary had to come off. It took me most of the day to put the new Gates Polychain on it. But yes, a chain conversion will be on my mod list when I get another bike.

Amen brother !!! buy that man a beer ... (when he does the conversion, of course...)

also, what the hell happened to the gun forum ? I haven't been on for a couple years and it seems like it is non-existent now ... ???

Old 11-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Not E'nuff Harley
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I broke my drive belt at 5500 due to rock damage. I asked here if it was a problem and was told if it was in the center, not to worry about it. A week later I backed it into the garage and heard a snap. Didn't think much of it. Next morning I fired it up, dropped it into first and went nowhere. Never broke a chain 'cause of a rock. In fact, I've never broken a chain. Never paid $180 for a chain. Belts suck. Looked for a chain conversion with no luck. Asked about it here. No luck. Read several posts looking for them here. No luck. If someone can tell me where to get one for an '08 FXD and an '08 FXDL, I'll do 'em both this weekend when I do the SE211's on the wife's ride this weekend.

Last edited by Not E'nuff Harley; 11-07-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:22 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Just google Harley chain drive conversions. There are several that sell them. I bought mine from a local indy and don't even know where he got it.

Here is a link to one of the vendors that has them. The kit is at the bottom of the page.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/nightrider_parts.htm

Old 11-08-2010, 01:44 AM
Jpdyna
Intermediate

I just broke mine the other day. Shifting into second and all the sudden gone. Going to replace it tomorrow.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:11 AM
glockholiday
Cruiser

Hey Not E'nuff Harley got any more pics of the girl in your avatar? WOW

Quick Reply: Anyone Ever Break a Drive Belt?