General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ear plug blow out ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Robmitch49
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep my mouth shut and they stay in.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Danny D
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Did someone say try a banana?

Did someone say try a banana? That sounds uncomfortable and I think they would fall out too, unless you push them waaaay in.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/catal...sku=sku1707466

I use these. They work well and are easy to install and reinstall. I think the foam plugs are a real pain to get seated just right.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Andjh123
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When inserting try twisting them like you were "screwing" them into your ear, this definitely helps them get in there deeper and not expand back out before you can get them in there all the way. This technique may be useful for other tasks as well...

Old 11-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Dino M
Advanced

The cheap foam ones clean up nice if you leave them in your jeans pocket when you throw them in the washing machine. I know they're cheap enough but this makes em last even longer.

....red locktite.... now that's funny!!!!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up Wash and plug

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
The disposable foam ones work fine for me. Roll them up tight and put them in. They're only good for about a couple or 3 uses and then they don't roll up like they do when new. I get a box of 50pr at HF.

There may be ones out there that last longer but these are fine for me. Wouldn't do me to get an expensive custom pair because I'd lose them in a day.
"Requistioned" several pair on Range Day of the green ones with the cords attached. Just cut the cords leaving about a half inch to pull them back out with. Roll them up tight and stick them in before they expand. You can reuse them indefinitely by rolling them in warm water under the faucet with some hand soap and then rinse real good with clear water and pat dry in a towel (they get nice and fat again). I have one ear that's deeper than the other one and one day in a restaurant my girlfriend was trying to pull a plug out of my ear that didn't have the cord on it. You should have seen the looks on the kids' faces in the next booth.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Oldtigercub
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used Hearing II plugs from Cabella's for shooting with no problem. They never fall out, but they are uncomfortable after a while.
I would never wear anything that would impair my hearing while operating any motor vehicle, though....I want to not only see what is around me, I want to hear anything that might alert me to danger as soon as I can.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default What'd ya say?

Originally Posted by Oldtigercub
I have used Hearing II plugs from Cabella's for shooting with no problem. They never fall out, but they are uncomfortable after a while.
I would never wear anything that would impair my hearing while operating any motor vehicle, though....I want to not only see what is around me, I want to hear anything that might alert me to danger as soon as I can.
Dude, the roar of the wind in unprotected ears will destroy your hearing just like shooting without ear protection will. The human ear was not designed to have wind roaring past/into it at 70 mph all day long. After a certain speed, say 50 mph or so, you can't hear **** anyway over the roar of the wind.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:27 PM
DeepDiggerWV
Novice

I use foam and have never lost one. I wear them daily at my job as well. A note on inserting them: 1st roll them tightly. 2nd reach over your head with your free hand and gently grasp the top of your ear, pulling up slightly. (This aligns the ear canal better) lastly, after quickly inserting, hold light pressure against it until you can feel the plug making a seal. (otherwise, as the foam expands, it tends to push the plug back out of the canal) Also you can check the package for the NRL(Noise Reduction Level) as there are many different levels available. I wish I knew these thing when I was attending rock concerts in the 70's and 80's, I am sure I would be hearing much better today.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Spaceteach
Intermediate

I use the same technique as DeepDigger and I've never had one fall out yet. Some of the foamies are better than others. I've Found that HearOs brand works well for me.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:47 PM
TxCowboy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Dino M
The cheap foam ones clean up nice if you leave them in your jeans pocket when you throw them in the washing machine. I know they're cheap enough but this makes em last even longer.

....red locktite.... now that's funny!!!!
True on both counts!

Quick Reply: Ear plug blow out ?