General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

24 Degrees F.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010 | 09:39 PM
dotcom2000
Tourer

triple digits here today, upper 90's yesterday. i'm about 100 miles n.e. of san diego and if the freakin' tree hugger libs would move out , this place could be great.

Old 11-03-2010 | 09:47 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by dotcom2000
triple digits here today, upper 90's yesterday. i'm about 100 miles n.e. of san diego and if the freakin' tree hugger libs would move out , this place could be great.
Now there's no need to gloat!

Old 11-03-2010 | 09:48 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by fat_tony
Why chaps? Over pants are just as easy to put on over jeans and are a lot warmer and protective. IMO Olympia gear rocks quality wise, have their jacket and pants, lot better than Tourmaster, Joe Rocket and others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhhz5...layer_embedded

Not pimping for Revzilla, they just have good videos.
i don't know that i could rock these metric overpants to be honest... i would need to expand my ascot collection greatly and trade my fatboy in for a bmw sport tourer...

j/k i actually like sport tourers...

these look good but the price is high and i only have a schott perfecto leather, would look a bit odd together. if i come into money though i can invest in real decent cold weather gear like this. i've always just winged it, but i must be getting old because today i was friggin cold and i need something more...

Old 11-03-2010 | 09:51 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by krusty1
Babalu (I propose a truce, my fiesty young friend, and no doubt a fine Marine in your day...despite your obvious and arguably justified disgust with the more odious aspects of the Marine Corps)...a pair of leather pants are far more versatile than chaps for riding in all sorts of weather....select a size that fits over your jeans...to some extent they work as well as rain gear, and with a little care will provide many years of service. Yes, they might appear almost as gay as chaps, but only in seedier venues in San Francisco. A good pair 'wear like iron'.
i have nothing but love for the marines i just knew it would get you going.

i'll take a look at the leather pants to fit over my jeans, gay or not, i'm friggin cold...

Old 11-03-2010 | 10:04 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by babalu
i have nothing but love for the marines i just knew it would get you going.

i'll take a look at the leather pants to fit over my jeans, gay or not, i'm friggin cold...
That you did! I have no doubt you were never a brown-noser, and some of the finest marines I have ever known served a single enlistment, and turned down promotions out of contempt for office pogues and REMF's. Ride safe, young brother.

Old 11-03-2010 | 10:23 PM
lakeman
Tourer

.... Faber has it right .... took a 3 day survival course and there were 2 instructors

1. an American jet pilot that flew recon over the arctic
2. eskimo that worked a commercial trap line in the arctic.

Layers and more layers. Staying comfortable is a matter of adding and subtracting layers. No need to run hot .... or get cold.

Temps reached 50 deg F today, wife rode her rebel for an hour, your all crazy .... no, no, I meant to say, 'hats off to all of yah',... I hate it ... but we have had an exceptionally nice fall in the Cdn. prairies.

Last edited by lakeman; 11-03-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-03-2010 | 10:31 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by lakeman
.... Faber has it right .... took a 3 day survival course and there were 2 instructors

1. an American jet pilot that flew recon over the arctic
2. eskimo that worked a commercial trap line in the arctic.

Layers and more layers. Staying comfortable is a matter of adding and subtracting layers. No need to run hot .... or get cold.

Temps reached 50 deg F today, wife rode her rebel for an hour, your all crazy .... no, no, I meant to say hats off to all of yah,... I hate it. .. but we have had an exceptionally nice fall in the Cdn. prairies.
Multiple layers are indeed more efficient at trapping heat than a single thick insulative covering....and the layers (modern synthetics beat any of the old materials) must be covered by good windtight material....and leather does that well, while still offerring abrasion protection if you take the big slide over the pavement.

Old 11-03-2010 | 11:16 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master

I went for a ride tonight when I got home from work. It was still over 80 when I left at about 6:30 in the evening. I got back home about 8:30. Still in the low 80's. I never even put on a jacket. I know I'm a weather wimp, but I like to ride all year long and SoCal allows year round riding. We'll have to see where I go when I retire and leave California.

Old 11-03-2010 | 11:33 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

I absolutely refuse to live where water can actually turn solid (or so I've been told) if it's left outside overnight.

Weather update . . . . It's 9:30 PM and it is presently 76 F here in the LA area. Of course I'm near the ocean here in Long Beach, so it's a bit cooler here than other areas.

I spent a decade one year in Detroit, so I know from cold . . . riding a bike in March . . . in 20 F weather . . . just because . . . never again!

Old 11-04-2010 | 07:06 AM
jstew
Cruiser

We got a cold front last night, first time the hi is below 80 (77 today) since March I think. Another cold front moving through tonight, hi tomorrow is near freezing! 62F. Brrr.

Quick Reply: 24 Degrees F.