General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

24 Degrees F.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010 | 06:37 PM
1996_tourglide_ultra_classic
Intermediate

rode northwest ohio 30 miles thismorning. 24 degrees. got to the shop and thought i hit some powder or something on the way into work. nope frost on my steel toed workboots! gotta love ohio weather... snow? possibly tommarow forcast 60 by next wed!

Old 11-03-2010 | 07:04 PM
razorback84
Road Master

It's suppose to be a high of 90 tomorrow here in San Diego.

Old 11-03-2010 | 08:16 PM
SMF
Banned

Gotta love Cali

Old 11-03-2010 | 08:33 PM
85RoadsterXLS
Road Master

Hate cold weather! I will ride in to work (about 30 miles) as long as it is at least 50 degrees. I have no windshield and wear a half helmet. My ears hurt for a few miles, but I guess they get numb after that. Only protection is leather jacket and gloves.
I can't even imagine riding in 20 degree weather without a windshield , at least a 3/4 helmet and more layers.

Old 11-03-2010 | 08:51 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by simpkinst
When I left for work this morning in Northeast Ohio. What is the wind chill at 65 MPH at 24 degrees?

Answer: Butt-*** Cold.

I'm thinking those heated grips may not be such a bad idea after all.

Good news its supposed to get up to 53 degrees for the ride home. That will feel like a tropical heat wave.

Not too many nice afternoons left here in Ohio - figured I needed to get a few in before it starts snowing.
Friend has BMW with heated grips and still went out and bought heated gloves. Heated grips allow you to use summer gloves when it cools off but are still less than ideal in really cold temps. I have Rev'It winter insulated gloves which are great at slightly milder temps but riding today at 32F my hands were freezing. Its the back of my hands and finger tips that freeze. Probably will end up with heated liner jacket and gloves. I would say if you can afford the slight extra cost go with electric gloves over heated grips. With a temp controller you can still use these at milder temps right up to 70F.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fVLD...layer_embedded

Last edited by fat_tony; 11-03-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2010 | 09:10 PM
BuckeyeMan
Road Captain

Know what you mean about the Buckeye weather. I have a 30 mile commute. I look at is as keeping me from getting soft. Was nippy out this AM though.

Old 11-03-2010 | 09:14 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

yeah it's officially cold... frost every morning and just famn cold. i went witht he FF helmet today and it helped but my legs are freezing. as gay as they are i'm gonna have to buy a pair of chaps...

Old 11-03-2010 | 09:18 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by babalu
yeah it's officially cold... frost every morning and just famn cold. i went witht he FF helmet today and it helped but my legs are freezing. as gay as they are i'm gonna have to buy a pair of chaps...
Why chaps? Over pants are just as easy to put on over jeans and are a lot warmer and protective. IMO Olympia gear rocks quality wise, have their jacket and pants, lot better than Tourmaster, Joe Rocket and others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhhz5...layer_embedded

Not pimping for Revzilla, they just have good videos.

Last edited by fat_tony; 11-03-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2010 | 09:28 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by babalu
Babalu (I propose a truce, my fiesty young friend, and no doubt a fine Marine in your day...despite your obvious and arguably justified disgust with the more odious aspects of the Marine Corps)...a pair of leather pants are far more versatile than chaps for riding in all sorts of weather....select a size that fits over your jeans...to some extent they work as well as rain gear, and with a little care will provide many years of service. Yes, they might appear almost as gay as chaps, but only in seedier venues in San Francisco. A good pair 'wear like iron'.

Old 11-03-2010 | 09:32 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

Hey, Ebigfish!!

You'll have a blast. And hopefully that batwing will keep the birds from blasting into you. (Maybe the birds should work on staying hydrated, too.)

A road trip this time of year is pretty crazy, but so is riding around on half a car, says my wife. (She rides, too, and is crazy herself. She actually understand the voices in my head )

Seriously.....yes, frequent stops to get the circulation back in the extremities and good hydration will keep your core temperature up. Cold is cold, and a few simple measures can help a lot. 12 years of working outside 8 hours a day at high altitude has taught me that the simple things help the most in the cold (layers, breaks, hydration).

Have a good ride!

Originally Posted by ebigfish
hey Faber!!

Ok... I'll do it!

I always have a water bottle on board, Didn't know how big a deal it was.

If I drive speed limit, i can enjoy a swallow or 2 in route... speaking of the route; the last time I rode a bike to West Point, NE a bird hit me in the upper chest... BOOM! this time, i got the batwing to protect me.

Can't really complain about the weather... like my brother said, "it's crazy; even thinking about a motorcycle trip in November..."

Rock on and enjoy the journey...

(ps... I'm 57 years young)

Quick Reply: 24 Degrees F.