General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which cams should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010 | 01:52 PM
gasol1ne
|
Cruiser
Default Which cams should I buy?

I have a 2010 Road King. Vance and Hines Dresser Duals. Rinehart Slip-Ons. Stage 1 Big Sucker. Power Commander V. I want my bike to sound, as much as possible, like an older, hopped-up, carbureted bike. I want the idle to have the individual ignition pop, stumble, lope If I can get there. I want to hear and feel each cylinder fire when on flat roads or going downhill. I want it to sound like a healthy hotrod, at idle and at speed. Sound is the goal here, not performance. The bike is plenty powerful for me after what I've done. I know I'll get more performance with the cam I choose, but that is just a by-product in my case. I want lope, rumble, stumble, hi-compression sound, individual combustion sound, POP, as often as possible, as much as possible, and at as many different RPMs as possible.

So far I think the SE 204 may do the trick. I haven't asked yet here on the forum.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-02-2010 | 03:08 PM
oct1949
Club Member

The 204's are pretty good cams, son had them in his 07 Deuce and 09 NT.
They are better suited for lighter bikes but will give U a better lope than stock.

The new TC even with cams won't lope like a EVO will because they Idle faster and they have to keep the oil flowing....

If U put in the 204 straight up they will be a mild till U get her to 3200-3300 rpm's.

I will add our dealer put in lots of them BUT Always advised with the 4* advance gear to get the cam to come on around 2700 rpm's. The son did both of his that way and loved them.

He just bought a 10 Street Glide couple months ago and this time he went with S&S's 551's, I don't think they lope as much as the 204's but they are stump pullers from 1500- 4500.
With a great power curve for the touring bikes.

Old 11-02-2010 | 04:20 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Talking

Originally Posted by gasol1ne
I have a 2010 Road King. Vance and Hines Dresser Duals. Rinehart Slip-Ons. Stage 1 Big Sucker. Power Commander V. I want my bike to sound, as much as possible, like an older, hopped-up, carbureted bike. I want the idle to have the individual ignition pop, stumble, lope If I can get there. I want to hear and feel each cylinder fire when on flat roads or going downhill. I want it to sound like a healthy hotrod, at idle and at speed. Sound is the goal here, not performance. The bike is plenty powerful for me after what I've done. I know I'll get more performance with the cam I choose, but that is just a by-product in my case. I want lope, rumble, stumble, hi-compression sound, individual combustion sound, POP, as often as possible, as much as possible, and at as many different RPMs as possible.

So far I think the SE 204 may do the trick. I haven't asked yet here on the forum.

Thanks in advance!
You have the wrong motor for that lope sound.That's gone unless you get an evo,panhead or knucklehead motor.The oil pressure,comp,& firing is all different with the twin cam!!! You want compression sound then your going to have to spend some money, & get some comp.Comp will definitely give you a better,louder sound!!!

Old 11-02-2010 | 04:23 PM
Weevil
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by gasol1ne
Sound is the goal here, not performance.
Cam discussion's are much like a "what oil do you use" discussion. You're going to get suggestions all across the spectrum. As far as injected bikes go, you're probably not going to get the sound you're looking for unless you shell out some major cash for a long duration cam which will involve head work and more.
For what it's worth, my advice is to find a trusted Indy, and discuss with him how you ride, what your expectations are, and what future work you may have done (if any), and let him help with your decision as to which cam to go with. And any cam you install will better the performance of the bike. Just how much will depend on the amount of work you decide to have done.
Good luck on whichever direction you go.

Last edited by Weevil; 11-02-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-02-2010 | 04:27 PM
Gliden
Club Member

I got 255's....dont know anything about anything else.
Love the 255's.....plenty of pull...and fun to play

Old 11-02-2010 | 04:52 PM
bearhart
Intermediate

has anyone looked into Woods cams?

Old 11-02-2010 | 04:55 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bearhart
has anyone looked into Woods cams?
I have the woods 408-44 adv 4 deg sounds and runs awesome

Old 11-02-2010 | 05:04 PM
louisianaSVT2001
Road Master

Originally Posted by Gliden
I got 255's....dont know anything about anything else.
Love the 255's.....plenty of pull...and fun to play
Is it true that the 255 gets flat on power in the upper RPM's? No pull?

Old 11-02-2010 | 05:08 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master

But, who buys a cam for sound?? People buy cams for performance, not sound!!!

Old 11-02-2010 | 05:28 PM
bluegrassboy
Tourer

Originally Posted by louisianaSVT2001
Is it true that the 255 gets flat on power in the upper RPM's? No pull?
I heard that prior to getting 255's; that has not been my experience...I went from TW-6-6 in my 103 to se255's and the 255's pull better on my application (Ultra Limited Heavy bike) everywhere on the power band....

Quick Reply: Which cams should I buy?