General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel balancing

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 11:13 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Harbor Freight has an inexpensive balancer and a couple of sizes of wheel weights. IronAss is right that is how I did them for years.

Many times I got by without needed balancing tires by indexing them. I can be quick but sometimes takes awhile.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:36 PM
Stubby3492
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the Dyna Beads. I was skeptical at first, but I put the beads in through my valve stems and peeled off all my wheel weights. I've gone about 5,000 km now and it is smooth as glass at all speeds.

My aluminum Fatboy wheels are much easier to polish now without the wheel weights stuck on there.
I'm sold on them.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:12 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

+2 for Dynabeads, they work as advertised and no fugly wheel weights.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:26 AM
BigLowRider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R_W_B
Thanks Old Fender Guy, I looked these up, sounds really great, but how do they work with tube tires ? I have spoked rims.

Dyna Beads work fine in my tube tires with spoke rims.

Be warned that once you start using dyna beads you will probably also consider installing your own new tires, rather than having a dealer do it for you. You will soon start ordering your tires off the internet and using dish soap and tire spoons to manhandle them onto your rims. This will result in some frustration but you will save a couple hundred dollars each time you need new tires.

Before using Dyna Beads, the requirement to have the wheel balanced at a tire shop always kept me from doing the job myself. I figured that since I had to take the wheel to the shop to get balanced, I might as well have the tire shop do all the work. Not no more!

BigLow

Old 11-01-2010, 09:38 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Dyna Beads in both tubeless & tubes for me. No problem. As for them getting stuck or gummed up just spin your wheel by hand when it's on a stand & you will hear them slide in the tire. No noise, Houston, we have a problem.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:14 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to all of you for very complete info on all accounts. I exchanged email with the beads people and they said just to make sure I had no water in the tire (or tube) since it can cause the beads to stick together and lump up.
So I have the following questions:

If I decide to balance my own I sumrise you either have the stick on weights or the clamp on, and each are not fool proof at staying on correct ?

If I use beads and also decide to try mounting my own tires I suspect with a tube it's non issue but if I ever went to tubeless wheels and I used a soap solution (like Crok) to mount the tires that might affect the beads.
I used to change auto tires on a manual spinner block many many years ago when I worked at an old gas station, but I have never done a bike tire and wonder what sort of mounting blocks or holders there are?