General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

eye glasses

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 09:06 PM
lou1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eye glasses

Went to the eye doctor and discovered I have to get glasses in order to ride. It's been getting hard to see for a while now but didn't want to face the truth, My question is What do you guys that wear glasses to see use? i don't use a helmet so no face shield, and I don't have a wind shield. I can get Rx lenses in my glasses bu I'm concerned about scratching the expensive lenses. Any ideas will be appreciated,
thanks
Lou

Old 10-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Lasik .... the BEST money I ever spent on myself.

http://www.lasikplus.com/locations-d...FcFk7AodkHjWiQ

Old 10-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Fossil
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get goggles that fit over your glasses or even RX goggles. They are advertised in most magazines especially the free ones you get from the dealer. Listen to you optometrist on the care of the lenses and be up front with him on what you are going to be using the glasses to ride your bike. A tip for your RX lenses is to always wash them with clean water before whiping them off. You may look at impact resistant lenses and use an elastic strap on the stems over your ears. These are available also. Good Luck!

Old 10-30-2010, 09:45 PM
mustasz
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I use prescription glasses together with cheap Walmart sun glasses, also I have a wind screen. You have to compromise,otherwise contacts or operation.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:50 PM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have worn glasses since the 8th grade. I have a Windshield ,so i just wear my glasses and Px Shades. I go to a private owned Optometrist. He is alot cheaper than the chains like Pearl, Lenscrafter, etc. My Dr tell me find what I want, get the frame # and I will order the frame and fit your Px. Now there are lots of options you can go with. Google "prescription sun glasses" there's alot out there. Your eye Dr can write your prescription and measure your eye if you want to order on line. Get sun glasses that are Polarized they really cut sun glare. I have to face the facts that Bifocals are in my future. My Old lady used to wear contacts on the bike. She said that she would always get dirt in her eyes and end up taking them out. Now she just wears her glasses or Px shades. I never have tried contacts. They seem like a hassle to me. At one job I had we were not allowe to wear them for saftey reasons.

Last edited by BB4xl; 10-30-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

I'd get something with transition lens. They will darken enough to be comfortable in the sun and lighten enough to ride at night. Take care of your lens with a good lens cleaner and soft cloth and they should last a long time without scratching. Don't grab a kleenex or your handkerchief and try to clean them with spit or no lens cleaner or you really will scratch them. Likewise paper towels and shop rags are a sure bet to ruin some expensive eye wear. I've had good luck with riding glasses from the local WalMart optometry shop and they usually have several styles to choose from. Whatever you do don't go the el cheapo route. Get good ones and they will last a long time.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:20 PM
rocknrick
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 transition, impact resistant Rx glasses. Just find frames you like and go with it. Uh, get the ones with foam inserts and you wont have any wind issues either.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Leather Hqs sells goggles called Global Vision Eliminators for 15.99 a pair. They fit over perscription glasses and don't look too bad. They also cut the wind completely and don't fog up. I bought a tinted pair and a clear pair. 32 bucks beats getting a pair of transitions glasses just for riding.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:16 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I just picked out some decent wrap around style frames and got prescription sun glasses. No windshield or helmet.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:56 AM
Lambo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use **** Sport glasses which kind wrap around, they are my perscription and they are transitional as well. Must admitt I love them!

Quick Reply: eye glasses