General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

eye glasses

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 06:13 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Had contacts, but the would rip & dry out in wind - even with sunglasses. Ended up getting Bole' sunglasses frames that had "wrap-around" frame & fit inside helmet. Made the lenses prescription & they work great. No problems at all so far.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:15 AM
Fogoms
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look into contact lenses, that's what I've been wearing for 28 years. They've come a long way in that time, with the modern ones being made of silicone and fully gas-pemeable, which means you can leave them in 24/7 (up to a week or month, depending on which ones you get). I use Focus Night and Day, but ask your doc about them. And the new ones are so comfortable I can't even feel them. Then no worries about prescription sunglasses, goggles, etc.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:51 AM
zjones
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have worn glasses for years and have found that I can only wear contacts for short periods, so I go the prescription sunglass route....
I recently found a company called Rx Safety.com who carries many different primary brands of sunglasses as well as in-house brands. Their lens menu is very affordable and they have a wide range of options. (I do not have any interest in this company other than being a satisfied new customer). I would encourage you to very strongly consider the frames with foam inserts and try different styles to ensure a close fit - for me, the wind problem at 40mph is problematic without foam inserts - I wear a half-helmet with no windshield. I like the transitions lens idea but opted for two different frames - one with clear lenses and one with polarized because I decided that I wanted polarized lens over the other options available.
Shop the frames/fit carefully because you will be using these glasses for some time - it gets expensive to change styles every year. There are also many frames available that have modular components that allow them to convert to goggles.
Good luck!

Old 10-31-2010, 09:33 AM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The best advise it to talk to your optician about the different options. My wife is a certified opthalmic ***., a COA can do what ever an optician can as long as a opthalmologist sponsors them. As far as Lasik is concerned ask your self why the vast majority of Doctors will not get it done? As far as transitional glasses go you are makeing a compromise, it is better to get a pair of clear and a pair of sunglasses. Doctors like them because they are a big money maker. All this being said I wear contact lens and wear a good pair of sunglasses and carry a pair of clear glasses so if I am out after dark I'm covered. If I am going to be gone on an all day or longer ride I also carry Rx glasses as back up. A good quality set of glasses with high impact scratch ressistant lens is not cheap.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:59 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lou1
Went to the eye doctor and discovered I have to get glasses in order to ride. It's been getting hard to see for a while now but didn't want to face the truth, My question is What do you guys that wear glasses to see use? i don't use a helmet so no face shield, and I don't have a wind shield. I can get Rx lenses in my glasses bu I'm concerned about scratching the expensive lenses. Any ideas will be appreciated,
thanks
Lou
I got a pair of "sport goggles" through my eye dr. Black nylon frames with the foam gasket and they work great. They are safety-glass grade lenses and will stil scratch, but they came in a foam "clamshell" case.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:20 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by scottwilliamson
As far as transitional glasses go you are makeing a compromise, it is better to get a pair of clear and a pair of sunglasses.
I'm curious why you would recommend this. The early transitions years ago were indeed a PITA because it took them a long time to transition when you went inside a building. The new ones react quickly though and that is no longer an issue. I have been wearing transitions for a long time now while riding and have been out in bright sunlight and into night with no vision problems.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:21 AM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
I just picked out some decent wrap around style frames and got prescription sun glasses. No windshield or helmet.
Same for me! I do have goggles,but don't wear them much.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:30 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I switched to contacts about 5 years ago. Now when I wear glasses for a day, I can't stand 'em.

It took me a while to find the right sunglasses to wear for riding, but most wrap-around styles work well.

Contacts also make it easier when I wear my full-face, when I ski (goggles), etc.

Last edited by faber; 10-31-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:31 AM
beerguz
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Oakly wrap around rx sunglasses. I have found if you wear just normal glasses with no wrap, the wind could blow them off if you turn your head. Plus , the Oakley lenses are way better than transitions. I have a yellow pair of rx goggles for night.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:33 AM
JimBob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read on this forum a few years ago about the Walmart option. Haven't regretted it. They have "Sport" frames with the foam lining and I have found them to be quite comfortable. I have a polarized set (bifocals) and a clear set for night rides. I chose polarized over tinted or transition lenses to help cut down on glare. (Getting older, and glare is more of an issue.)

Quick Reply: eye glasses