General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Rear Ended By A Texter

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 09:57 AM
rscalzo
Road Warrior
Received 126 Likes on 77 Posts

We had a fatality here in southern NH on Monday. A driver didn't want to wait and decided to pass a truck on the right as it was a No Passing Zone. Cutting around on the right, the right side of the car dropped off the curb. Overcompensating he cut back to the left going over the double yellow line. All while talking on the cellphone. His last words to the person on the other end was "Oh ****", then a crash and the call dropped.

The car went head on into a garbage truck. Took the top of the car right off and he tried stopped by hitting the brake pedal so violently both boots with what was left of his legs were still embedded on the pedal. the car was unrecognizable as the Saturn it once was before the mva. Nine hours later after the investigation the roadway was reopened.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:01 AM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 24,082 Likes on 5,310 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry1955
Every time I stop at a light I pray that some ditsy idiot rear ends me while texting destroying my bike and leaving me with just minor injuries. That's the only way I'm gonna get my new Roadglide Ultra the way I see it. By the time I get done suing the stupid (well, you know) I'd be able to afford a new bike and a new house!
That might work out for you in Illinois. Here in L.A. with my luck the guy who rear-ended me would be an illegal south-of-the-border immigrant with no driver's license, much less insurance, in a white pickup truck with four guys in the front seat, gardening equipment hanging all over it and black smoke coming out the tailpipe.

This is, by the way, another reason why, with all its faults, California is great for motorcycle riders. It's one of the few states, if not the only one, that recognizes the danger to a motorcyclist of sitting in a long line of traffic and allows them to filter up through lanes to the head of the line at traffic lights. I've often done this right behind a CHP motor cop. Slightly risky, yes -- but a lot safer than sitting there waiting to be rear-ended by some oblivious jerkoff in a huge SUV.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:14 AM
BugDr
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cell phones without bluetooth devices and texting is illegal here in Oregon as well, but it is not decreasing, on the contrary, I see it more now than before the law went into effect. People are just trying to hide while texting instead of stopping. They put the phone below the level of the window and are constantly looking down - I see it every day on way to work. With cell phones, they are just constantly being vigilante and looking around for LEO's. Nothing is going to change until distracted driving is treated the same as a DUI.
I know, but the secretary of transportation is so concerned, he is holding hearings on distracted driving, as the number of accicents caused by it is increasing rapidly. It's not being inforced, in fact in most states it is not a primary offense. The only way I can see that it will ever be addressed with concern by the states and local municipalities, is if the feds withold federal funds unless it is enforced. I know, here comes big brother again, but how many times do we see one more case of accident, injury, and death caused by distracted driving, and no one does anything. Ok, rant over, but I still don't feel any better, and I will never pull up to a stop or approach an intersection the same way ever again.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:43 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fastest way I see the cell phone/texting while driving debacle ending quickly is when some rocket scientist goes after big money deep pocket corporations like Verizon, Sprint and RIM (Blackberry)and LG to name a few in a huge class-action lawsuit costing them Billions. Their combined cell phone technology is costing thousands of lives lost yearly as well as hundreds of Millions dollars the insurance companies are forced to pay out. When they are finally held accountable and partially to blame for these deaths, they will be forced to take action and prevent cell phones from operating while driving.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:45 AM
Avwrench
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, gotta love California, at least for the lane splitting. LOL You'd be surprised how many people don't know it's legal.
I agree with the others,lawyer up,and see a doctor to be sure nothin's screwed up.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:46 AM
farmerstu
Road Captain

it's getting worse all the time. idiots mistaking their car for the living room. heated seats, cup coolers, dvd players,gps, etc. people don't seem to grasp the concept of DRIVING anymore. I'm starting to think all cars should come with loose steering maby that would make concentrating on driving a little more important.
to the OP glad to hear you're ok. sue the b****.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:48 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot
That might work out for you in Illinois. Here in L.A. with my luck the guy who rear-ended me would be an illegal south-of-the-border immigrant with no driver's license, much less insurance, in a white pickup truck with four guys in the front seat, gardening equipment hanging all over it and black smoke coming out the tailpipe.
I see that guy ALL the time driving here in Las Vegas!

Old 10-31-2010, 10:51 AM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheMo
All this welfare talk reminds me of a great bumper sticker I've seen:

"Work harder. Millions on welfare depend on you!"
Funny and scary at the same time because it's to true.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:02 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMo
All this welfare talk reminds me of a great bumper sticker I've seen:

"Work harder. Millions on welfare depend on you!"

~ seen this bumper sticker dozens of times, but NEVER on a car that also has a "CHANGE/HOPE" sticker as well....

Old 10-31-2010, 11:04 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot

This is, by the way, another reason why, with all its faults, California is great for motorcycle riders. It's one of the few states, if not the only one, that recognizes the danger to a motorcyclist of sitting in a long line of traffic and allows them to filter up through lanes to the head of the line at traffic lights. I've often done this right behind a CHP motor cop. Slightly risky, yes -- but a lot safer than sitting there waiting to be rear-ended by some oblivious jerkoff in a huge SUV.
Amen Brother

Quick Reply: Got Rear Ended By A Texter