General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I get a Sportster for $3500 MAX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 02:33 PM
BGAndrea
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I get a Sportster for $3500 MAX?

Hello,
Some of you have may have seen some of my posts. My wife and I are kind of all over the place as to where we are with our first bike purchases. We both love Harleys, but have a combined amount of $6500-$7000 MAX for our first bikes. We are saving up for our dream Harleys, but want to get something cheap for now so we can at least get out on the road and ride. I have been primarily using ebay and craigslist for my search. I was going to get her a 2009 Honda Rebel, and myself a 2002 Yamaha V Star 650, but the idea of not riding a Harley is bothering us. Also, many of you have said that with my weight (260lbs), I will not enjoy riding the 650. What I am asking is, is it possible to get a decent (no rust, mechanically sound, etc...) Sportster for $3500. It seems that the ones on ebay that end at that price do not meet reserve.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Harleyriding77
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont think your going to be happy with a sportster. They are excellent bikes but I dont think its going to fit with you well. If your really itching to ride buy some metrics cash money and then start saving for that HD you really want. My first bike was a 06 suzuki boulevard C50 (800cc). Im a big guy at 6'2" and 340 lbs and it fit me alright. When it was parked next to my Heritage that I got later they had almost the same dimensions. That 800cc got me around just fine and it was a super dependible bike. For any reason that I cant have a harley I would have another metric (I would be dead on the inside) but I would still be riding on 2 wheels and that is what counts.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:04 PM
chrisangie
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 650 vstar im 5-11 210 and it got me around fine and seemed to b a good bike.The only thing i didnt like about it was at about 65-70 they have a buzz to them that will put your body numb, after a few hours. My wife has a sportster and i feel a little cramped on it but man it is a blast to ride. I wouldnt hesitate to buy the vstar if it was in my budget againand i kept it until i decided on what i realy wanted to invest in, which ended up being a Heritage. Good luck to you all and enjoy what ever u decide.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:07 PM
sh57
Elite HDF Member

I also do not think you will be happy with the sportster, with that being said, i took my time and found my wife a nice low mileage 2000 883 for $3200.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:08 PM
BB4xl
Road Master

There have been some Sportsters on Craigs here in The Cleveland Oh area for under 4 grand. At 260lbs Height ? you might be alright considering your wife will be on her own bike. 2 up might not work to well. Why not pick up 1 used Hd and get her a cheaper used metric untill somthing else comes along. Seem like there are alot of bikes for sale. Go to dealers (all makes) and sit on some and see how different ones feel. With winter coming I would take alittle time ,save a little and shop a lot. Good luck.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:10 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought this Sportster back when Harley's were still selling like gold. Paid $3700 for it and it was 8 years old. I have seen them cheap every once in awhile. I have had a Fatboy and now a Street Glide ever since and I still loved riding this around.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:11 PM
Bike-R-Mike
Tourer

What about using the full $7000 to buy ONE older but bigger Harley ? I know for sure that down there in the U.S. you guys get WAY better deals on used Harley's then we get up here in Canada and I have seen a nice 85 Electraglide going this fall here for an asking price of $7500 . You should be able to find one down there for your set amount and even if you have to ride it alone for a bit to get used to it , you'll still have a nice Harley for you and your wife to ride together once you are comfortable handling the bike . Then you can save up for 2 newer bikes , but still have a nice Harley till you get there .

Old 10-30-2010, 04:01 PM
wyld3
Advanced

The best thing to do is:

Decide what you are using it for; long rides, short jaunts, round town?

Next; set goal for dream bike.

Plan on spending lots of money.

There is an abundance of sportsters available, due to the trade up offer a few years ago. i would make an offer, even if 3500 is less than the asking price. Most dealers are not going to offer much more than this on a trade. If that is your short term plan. or put down a nice down payment on your dream ride. Just dont get in a situation that takes the joy out of what you are trying to do. What ever the decision, keep it safe!

Old 10-30-2010, 06:12 PM
jstew
Cruiser

I don't think you're gonna find a Sportster at a dealer for that price, but you should be able to get one on Craigslist easy for 3500-4000. Now, you may have to buy one, and then the other a bit down the road, but it shouldn't take long at all.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:27 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

If you are bent on paying cash, keep saving and do without for now. Then, you'll have your dream Harleys sooner. Or, do what somebody else mentioned above and put the whole $7k on an older big twin, keep saving and buy the other one later.

Quick Reply: Can I get a Sportster for $3500 MAX?