General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I get a Sportster for $3500 MAX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

I don't know where you live. Here's one in my area for $3750.

http://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/2046051754.html

Old 11-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Save your money and get a Dyna. They are not that much more than a Sporty and much easier to ride. I've owned both and look at my sig as to what I prefer.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:32 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not to be a ******* but you would look silly on a sportser buy a metric

Old 11-07-2010, 08:02 PM
CRASH69
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Old 11-07-2010, 09:55 PM
HD&CUMMINS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the size you said you are I would suggest staying away from a sportster. Do you want to buy outright? $7k down on a HD is a good amount. I have seen used SG,EG,Deluxes,RK, etc go for decent prices.

If you want to buy outright than keep saving, If dont mind payments than youre set.

Dont buy what you can buy what you want. Even If it takes just a little bit longer.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:31 AM
papaseven
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Harley fever

I'll probably get flamed for this but here goes.

I've been riding harleys almost exclusively for 40 years so I feel like I'm qualified to make these observations.

1 Harleys are overpriced. Period!!

2 There's no bike that require more maintainence than a harley.

3 For almost any cruiser style bike there is a jap clone that will have more power, less weight, better mileage, more reliability and cost half of the harley

4 Harley's are never the best bike to start off on because of the higher weight and relatively low power compared to a like jap bike. Power can and does provide a measure of safety in some situations.

5 Because of the weight and frame geometry of harleys they are slower handling and less forgiving at slow speeds.

6 Most jap bikes require less frequent and cheaper oil changes because of the better oiling and filter systems and liquid cooling.

7 Harley is still using 1930's technology in engine and transmission design

8 Almost every diehard harley rider got that way because we started riding them when we kids because they were cheap to buy, easy to fix, and most importantly we thought they instantly made us bad asses . " wrong assumption in most cases"

9 Most of us old harley riders envy the other bikes when we have to pull off the road in heavy traffic to keep from cooking the oil we paid so dearly for and are legs are wore out from holding 1000 pounds of motorcycle up

10 Dealer support for good dealers is top notch but god forbid the MoCo decides against your warranty claim because you modified something on your bike like exhaust or programmers and didn't have it done at the dealer.

With all that said I must say Ive owned and rode hard 13 harleys over a million miles in the last many years and have nothing but fond memories of every single one.
Not a single one has ever wrecked me because it did something unexpected like a wobble or engine seize. One Kawasaki 900 put me on my lid because of a wobble and a suzuki gsxr put me on my lid because the brakes were too good.

The most important thing is to ride. Don't give up years of wonderful trips and great rides because of a brand name or exact exhaust sound.
Get the best you can afford, make sure it's safe and maintained and hit the road.
The best time to ride is when you want or need to get from one place to another.
And when you see the Grand Canyon or a giant Redwood on two wheels it really doesnt matter what name was on the tank.

Gene