General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power supply for heated Glove liners....

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 11:18 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts
Default Power supply for heated Glove liners....

I'm ordering a set of heated Glove Liners this week. I decided to go with the hard wired liners vs. the battery powered liners based on the boards overwhelming preference to the hard wired gloves and liners. Here's my question. I have so much junk already wired to my battery such as my GPS, cigarette outlet plug for my wifes MP3 player, pigtail for my battery tender and of course the motorcycle cables them selves that I'm running out of room to hook another set of wires to the dang battery!!! So my question is, can I use any of those plugs already hanging on the bike like the battery tender pigtail or the cigarette lighter plug to power my glove liners? If so, what brand liners or gloves use these plugs? If I have to put more wires on the battery, I will, but it sure would be nice to use a plug thats already hanging on the bike. Opinions please.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Spurrs
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

You will just plug in to the battery tender pigtail. Gerbing gloves or liners are the ones to go with.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to use the tender cable but be sure to check the fuse in that wiring before using it for your gloves to ensure the amperage is appropriate for what your gloves will draw. I think HD even offers a converter to go from the round connector to the tender type connection.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:02 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

If you check the Gerbing web site, you will find that the harness that LOOKS like the gloves can be hooked into the tender harness. This harness is made to allow you to hook up your tender to the Gerbing pigtail. I dont think the wire size of the tender is heavy enough to power the Gerbing items. Take off the tender pigtail, put on the Gerbing pigtail and hook into that with the tender when charging.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another option would be to add an auxiliary fuse box. This would have one connection to the battery so you would remove all the extra cables except one.

The one I've seen recommended by other riders is shown below in the link. It allows up to six accessories and also allows you to set them up as switched (on only when ignition is on) or on all the time.

You would need to find a good place to mount it and then just hook all your accessories directly to it.

http://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php

Old 10-29-2010, 12:41 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Here's a few more aux fuse block options.
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...fuseboxes.html

Old 10-29-2010, 01:35 PM
10ring
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Powerlet.com

Pashnit.com

Old 10-29-2010, 01:51 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by cdestuck
If you check the Gerbing web site, you will find that the harness that LOOKS like the gloves can be hooked into the tender harness. This harness is made to allow you to hook up your tender to the Gerbing pigtail. I dont think the wire size of the tender is heavy enough to power the Gerbing items. Take off the tender pigtail, put on the Gerbing pigtail and hook into that with the tender when charging.
Thanks everybody for the fast replies. Yeah, the gerbing liners are what I believe I want. People seem to like them the best. And being able to just swap my existing tender plug in for the heavy one seems the simplest way to go. 5 minute jobs are my favorite ones. The fuse box probably would be ideal, but I'm thinking the thicker pigtail might be what I try first....being the lazy type and all.

Question.....What do the liners come with? Is there a heat controller? Is there an on/off switch? Is there just a "Y" that plugs into the tender plug and the wires just hang in your coat? Please advise.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 10-29-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts

Here is another site for cables. I bought the single controller from these people
http://cozywinters.com/shop/wg-dcjk150sae.html

Old 10-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

You can use the pigtail that comes with the gloves. When you want to connect the tender, just add this 6 inch converter...This will allow you to run only one pigtail and easily switch from heated gear to battery tender, simply by adding this piece

adaptor plug

Quick Reply: Power supply for heated Glove liners....