General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you ever run from the cops

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 07:34 AM
OttoWalker21
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG

....instead of running away like a little girl. No offense, but IMO it's riders like you that give us all a bad rap.
running away like a girl?? I know more girls ....who know how to bootleg from the LEO's at Deal's Gap. It's a must now since the road turned into a freggin carnival because of you T-Shirt buying retards.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Moonrider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ktm_scott
I did it as a kid on my dirt bike many times. There were too many of us riding home on the streets from the trails and we would all just split in different directions. If memory serves, none of us ever got caught. I don't have the ***** to try it these days. Outrunning a cop is one thing. Outrunning a radio is entirely different.
Ditto.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:37 AM
jarhead59
Tourer

Originally Posted by pottsy
Let's look at the facts. Title of thread - Have you ever run from the cops? You and several others think that you are entitled/required to run from cops. You aren't children, so by now you should know better. You feel those that don't run from the cops are sheep, and therefore not entitled to an opinion on the topic, because apparently obeying the law is wrong. I could go on, but I know I am talking to a dead zone. Bottom line, it appears that at least for some, they are smart enough to make decisions on how you use the roads.
I DO believe you are entitled to an opinion, in fact some of yours have even been valid.

You are only a sheep if you believe that authority is infallible and follow the rules based on that belief.

In my case the LEO made a tactical error and then I proved I AM smart enough to make decisions on how to use the roads.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:31 AM
SloChicken
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jarhead59
I DO believe you are entitled to an opinion, in fact some of yours have even been valid.

You are only a sheep if you believe that authority is infallible and follow the rules based on that belief.

In my case the LEO made a tactical error and then I proved I AM smart enough to make decisions on how to use the roads.
LOL
I respect the law, not because I agree with it, or because I feel that the law is righteous just because some powdered wig wrote it.
As a matter of fact, I feel that most politians are crooked to a greater or lesser extent. That said, on a personal level, I try to make decisions that leave a positive footprint in my wake. It isn't all that hard to live your life in a way that positions yourself so you don't find yourself running from the cops.
Just don't do **** that puts you in that position.
I have a vette, I have liter sportbikes that I take to the track (although one is a couple of tires and a taillight from street legal), I can leave a cop in a cruiser behind if I needed to - quite easily.
Thing is, I would rather pay the piper if I get caught "playing around". It gets really ugly when u get caught for evading, or worse, if you cause an accident where someone gets hurt. U don't even have to be the one that crashes into someone. Just cause one as a result of your flight, and u get to go up for those charges too.
Just not worth it to me.
And as I stated before,
you DO NOT want to be the guy that kills the child while evading ...
Think hard on that one, please ...

Regarding cops and the law.
I was a firefighter/medic for a very long time, now I am a critical care/transport RN and see the cops doing what they do - I have seen it for a long time. I have also been treated pretty unfairly by cops that get a little "inflated" by the power of their badge.
They have an incredibly hard job, and chasing you doesn't help their attitude when they see just an average joe cruising on their bike.

So, for those of us that are catching your **** for minding our own business, knock it the f off!!!

If that don't help, think on this for a bit.
When I was in the fire academy I had some fire investigation coursework. In a class once I heard this from a police academy instructor that was lecturing us about covering our asses when filling out reports.

"It isn't how it goes down. It is how it is written up."

Remember that when he explains why u got bopped in the head, or worse yet, got yourself shot somewhere all alone with a pissed group of cops after you get yourself spike stripped, or pit maneuvered, or even ran off the road.
I can see it now.
"He came right at me on his bike, so I had to shoot!"

My credo.
I stand behind cops, just not in front of them ...

Last edited by SloChicken; 11-07-2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: kan't spel two wel
Old 11-07-2010, 11:59 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SloChicken
Thing is, I would rather pay the piper if I get caught "playing around". It gets really ugly when u get caught for evading, or worse, if you cause an accident where someone gets hurt. U don't even have to be the one that crashes into someone. Just cause one as a result of your flight, and u get to go up for those charges too.
Just not worth it to me.
And as I stated before,
you DO NOT want to be the guy that kills the child while evading ...
Think hard on that one, please ...
The problem here is, you are talking about something other than the original example. You are talking about attempting to evade at high speed. Life isn't all Hollywood or Wildest Police Videos XXII!

In the original post, the cop indicated he should wait, and the OP simply did not wait. He rode away. Probably made a couple of turns. It is no more dangerous to ride away from a cop who is turning around than it is to ride for any other reason. No children are in danger of being killed. It's not evading - the cop isn't behind you with his lights on. He's not there at all.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:06 PM
SloChicken
Road Master

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
The problem here is, you are talking about something other than the original example. You are talking about attempting to evade at high speed. Life isn't all Hollywood or Wildest Police Videos XXII!

In the original post, the cop indicated he should wait, and the OP simply did not wait. He rode away. Probably made a couple of turns. It is no more dangerous to ride away from a cop who is turning around than it is to ride for any other reason. No children are in danger of being killed. It's not evading - the cop isn't behind you with his lights on. He's not there at all.
U are right, my statements don't really apply, to the OPs statement.
However, it pretty much sums up my opinion of evasion from the po. If u get lit up, and you accelerate instead of pulling over, it does get dangerous. The risk for bad outcomes increases greatly. That is all there is to it.
If u happen to see a cop going the other way, and they make u turn, and you "just happen to make a couple of right turns", well, that is another story entirely.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:11 PM
SteveB FLH
Road Warrior

As a kid we ran all the time on dirt bikes and a few times on four wheelers (thanks to the trails) and years ago a few times on my old fatboy......but that was years ago and now I will not attempt to do so, with age comes wisdom.....

Old 11-07-2010, 12:20 PM
SloChicken
Road Master

Originally Posted by SteveB FLH
... with age comes wisdom.....
Actually, and quite sadly. Often, age visits alone ...

Old 11-07-2010, 10:21 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveB FLH
...with age comes wisdom.....
Then why can't you remember why you walked into the kitchen?

Old 11-07-2010, 11:01 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Then why can't you remember why you walked into the kitchen?

Man that's low , what were we talking about ?

Quick Reply: Have you ever run from the cops