General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you ever run from the cops

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 07:38 PM
bruder
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sure did,for three long years,had them chase me across country,got caught though and cost me 8 years.hate the cops for they are not what they use to be,now just a bunch of punks on a power trip.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes and unlicensed dirt bikes on pavement were involved. Just a flick, back to the woods and long gone. But in a small town they knew me and Mom and Dad anyway - so victory was short lived.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:44 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Nope, never did try the flee thing....

Old 10-30-2010, 07:45 PM
racerdj
Club Member

Definately not and no plans in the future to do so.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:07 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Some of us are happy to be missing the opportunity to be on "World's DUMBEST Drivers."

Old 10-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Nialfire
Advanced

If he drove away from the scene without flashing his lights or siren then it's his loss, now if he was behind me with lights flashing then that's a different story.

That is now, but in the day they never even bothered to try and stop us. YZ80's & 250's eat cop cars for lunch.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:18 PM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I got bagged last year. I was doing at least 90 on a back road and had just passed a very slow car (good view of road ahead...) in a NO passing zone when the chief of police of the next town over came by the opposite direction...I saw the lights go on immediately and knew he was headed back my way...I VERY seriously thought about pulling a hard right and hitting some back roads I know and I a PRETTY sure???? it would work...I thought better and pulled over, off the road and waited for him. He gave me the eye a little and said it took a while to catch me...BUT, he cut me some slack and wrote me up for half the speed/amount...better than jail...or it was until the wife found the ticket in my pocket...

Old 10-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Gunfighter13
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Inspector 12

Let's see, risking a felony eluding rap over loud exhaust, do the math. Doesn't add up in my world.
+1 here, this is a no brainer.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:05 PM
BDX2
Advanced

Great Read Man. You guys have some good stories.

Last serious chase I had started a block from my house. I was 21 (25 years ago) and on my Honda XL500 street/trail. The sirens went on and I went into auto pilot. I stopped for all the signs, made it into the woods and stopped for a smoke. They decided to come in from the other side and the chase was on again.

Seemed like the whole neighborhood knew what was going on. They kinda helped me out, signaling as I went by. I made it home. Within 10 seconds they were asking my neighbor if she saw me roll through. She said no and by then the bike was in the backyard out of sight. All he had to do was look at the sidewalk, the wet tire tracks were clear. Luckily he didn't.

The goofy thing about that chase was if I had just stopped, I would have been OK. I was registered and insured, my plate was just torn off.

After that one I did some serious thinking. I never want to get slapped with 'Eluding', as a legal adult, so my behavior changed.

On the Harley I don't think I break the law much, just a quick blast and let it settle back in slow. I'd never attempt to outrun on the HOG.

On the quad if I have to take the roads, I often run right with traffic. I always know where I'm headed and no one is gonna make me go faster than I would anyway. I'm not gonna hurt myself or anyone else for fear of a fine or worse. Calculated risk. Until they start riding quads or get a copter . For the most part they seem to look the other way unless you get right in their face around here.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:05 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Yes. All the time. Bike or car. I am usually speeding. Once a cop is behind you with his lights on, too late to run. ... but, if they are going the opposite way and pass me, I watch my mirror. If I see brake lights and know they are turning around, I try to be gone by the time they get to me. Sometimes, that's not an option, but when it is.... turn, turn, turn. Maybe park behind a building if I can, get out. Take a walk.

Quick Reply: Have you ever run from the cops