General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you ever run from the cops

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 08:53 AM
Trucky911
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

Yes, back in 1971 I was in my 1965 mustang going through the gears from a 20 roll on stretch of road with no traffic late one night. A police officer was sitting in a parking lot I flew by and lit up his lights. I was quite a ways ahead of him so I ditched into the neighbor hood I lived in and thought I lost him. WRONG, he was sitting in front of my house waiting for me. It was my girl friends cousin, he was laughing his head off. Asked me if I wanted to spend the night in jail? Told him no. He laughed some more told me to slow down and left. I got lucky that night....When I became a firefighter in the same city he was a cop he came to visit me at the station I was assigned to and of course he had to tell the guys this story...

Trucky911

Last edited by Trucky911; 10-30-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:54 AM
ArizonaPhil
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.azcentral.com/community/m...dly-crash.html

For all you runners. Congrats,you have something in common with the Ahole in the article.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:27 AM
an Uncouth Barbarian
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

I did once when I was young, stupid and drunk. I wouldn't even consider it now. I have too much to lose.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by pottsy
The level of stupidity in this thread makes me laugh. If thinking that running from a cop is stupid, makes me a yuppy, well so be it, I am a yuppy.

So, you stick around and maybe get a ticket for what? An equipment violation? Probably get out of it pretty easy. Or you run, and if you get caught face a felony charge. Now tell me which of those seems like the smarter choice off the 2.
It doesn't make you a yuppy. It makes you a sheep. You don't get a felony for not understanding what he mouthed from his car. I would have done the same as the OP. If he would have chased me, with his lights on, I would have pulled over. If he asked why I didn't "stay right there". I would have said " I though you were saying "nice bike".

Old 10-30-2010, 10:33 AM
BugDr
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krusty1
I haven't RUN from cops but I've taken evasive turns when I've thought they were interested in me....like when you see them pulling a 'U-turn' in your mirror. Trying to outrun them is flat out stupid....as one poster mentioned, 'felony eluding' could turn a minor ticket into a license losing, bail, and attorney-paying nightmare.

Ancient years ago in my youth (young and stupid) I was on the way to a wedding, where I was part of the grooms entourage. I had been delayed getting on the road thanks to Uncle Sam and calculated that at an average of 90 to 100mph (200 miles away) would get me there on time. I was screaming down an eight lane freeway in a 1965 Mustang when I noticed a statey on the frontage road that kicked it into high gear and hit the lights. I immediately pulled over into the slow lane just as the road went over a rise and down a fairly steep grade. The statey went flying by me as I was sequestered in a group slow moving vehicles. I pulled over at the next exit and called to say they would have to get someone to take my place at the wedding.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:07 PM
dustinn3
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I wouldn't exactly call what you did running. If he didn't have his lights on and wasn't following you, you could easily say you didn't hear him over your pipes

I would never run when a cop was chasing me, but I have happened to take the next exit a few times when they had to go a long ways to turn around and couldn't see me turn. If they followed me I would have pulled over and I wasn't speeding after I turned off so I wasn't a danger to myself or others. Could have easily played off that I didn't see them and had to turn there anyways. Plus, if they're not behind you with their lights on how do you know they're after you?

A couple of my buddies in high school learned you can't out run the radio the hard way. They ended up face down at gun point in the middle of main street. Cost him about $5k and his license for a year.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:10 PM
pottsy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shaved Ice
It doesn't make you a yuppy. It makes you a sheep. You don't get a felony for not understanding what he mouthed from his car. I would have done the same as the OP. If he would have chased me, with his lights on, I would have pulled over. If he asked why I didn't "stay right there". I would have said " I though you were saying "nice bike".
Yuppy, sheep, you can call me whatever you want. At the end of the day, it was still a stupid thing to do.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

I was drag racing a GTO one evening in my 69 Chevelle 396 SS back in 1969. A state cop saw us going to the local hwy we all raced on and followed us with his lights off. I had just put a set of 456 gears in the rear end and even though I blew the doors off the GTO, I realized I could not get away from the trooper. I pulled over and lost my license for 90 days.

Later after I became a Deputy Sheriff, the trooper laughed his A$$ off telling everyone about it.
I also pursued several who thought they could out run my police car. Some could some couldn't. My department has since adopted a policy that the officer can terminate the chase if he deems it a greater probability that an innocent person could be injured as a result of the pursuit. So for all you bad boys riding those bad bikes maybe...just maybe the officer has called off the chase and you ain't so fast after all. lol just saying.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I used to do it all the time on my RD 400. If they weren't close enough to ID me, I was "gone"
Now if they were any kind of close, I pulled over so fast it usually surprised them.
First year on a street bike, and I had a dozed plus tickets. Most were for insufficient crash bars, or no helmet. Only one true moving violation. Now the number of times I did elude them escapes me. Lets just say, (Lots) Lol :-)
Last time I was over Twenty-one, and only once in my car. Shooop, I was gone then too! May not have been faster than Motorola, but quicker/smarter! I never got caught if I ran.
And of course I wouldn't dream of doing it any more.
To old and brittle!

aka Bob

Old 10-30-2010, 07:25 PM
DevilDoc357
Intermediate
Default Great Job!

I would have done exactly the samething. Just the other night I was cruising down the street and came up next to another bike, a softail, he hit the throttle and so did I, the next thing you know we were doing over 80 in a 45. Sure enough a ,let's say cop out of political correctness and the weiners that like to whine alot on this board, passed and immediately did a u-ee. We hit the intersection he went one way I went the other and I took back streets home. I took the money I saved from the ticket I would have gotten and bought me a really nice T-Bag for the bike. Oh yeah, just cause you get away doesnt make you wrong! Its the pu#@ies that just sit there and take the revenue collecting that gives us all a bad name!

Quick Reply: Have you ever run from the cops