General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night Riding

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 12:49 AM
harleybiker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Night Riding

How many of you prefer to leave a place early so you don't have to ride at night. I'm a fairly new rider and haven't been out yet in total darkness . How difficult is it to get used to? Thanks.

hb

Old 09-19-2006, 12:59 AM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Night Riding

Rather ride in the day but, night is okay to??? If you think about it, depending on where you live there is less traffic at night!!! Just make sure your are seen, I usually roll with my brights on and figure on the worse from cages, let them go around whatever they need to do to get outta my space

Old 09-19-2006, 01:06 AM
E DOGG
Road Master

If I drive at night , I drive slower. And stay in back of a "Cager" So if there is something on the road , in front of us, the "Cager" will hit it first!

<<<<<<<<<< I have white reflector tape on my helmet. And my Jacket has relfected trimmings on it.

Safe than sorry.[]

My opinion...

Old 09-19-2006, 01:08 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here prefer riding in the day light, but night is ok, the FDX has excelent headlight.

except last night on the way home from work, wet fog, shield was so wet no longer wipable, then glasses had to come off, i was glad to see the lights of my garge

Old 09-19-2006, 01:12 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Have rolled back in this year after dark several times, the only thing that bothers me is watching for the deer, oh, I forgot about the millions of bugs that give their life to make mine misserable.[:'(]

Old 09-19-2006, 01:15 AM
4merRacer
Road Master

Just keep in mind that if you follow a car they'll only kick up whatever is in the road. So instead of you rolling over a flat piece of metal on the ground, you now have to duck under it or die. [8D]

Old 09-19-2006, 01:39 AM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member

Day tripping on familiar roads I find night riding to be quite relaxing as long as the traffic is light . Which it generaly is because I'll seek out the backroads .

But thats not the question.

I'll leave right at dawn or just before as a rule. Crank the miles on in the morning the traffic is lighter , air is cooler.
Put some lazy miles on in the afternoon and call it quits in mid afternoon .
Its much easier to find a motel or set up camp when its light.

Now as far as night riding you have to ask yourself how good is your night vision. Mine isn't nearly as good as it used to be hence the familier roads , also I SLOW it down.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:46 AM
jackhammer
Tourer

I don't make a point of riding in the dark but have done it enough that its not a big deal. Just slow it down abit. I got hit with some rain at 1 am on a freeway it sucked because the spray from the big rigs blind you. But on a clear night not so bad.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:54 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually really like riding at night.
I can see the cages easier. Twisties at night in the backwoods can get a bit hairy, but I just ride slower.
Deer are out day or night, so don't be fooled into being safe because the sun is out.

I'm a leave before light, stop after dark kind of person. The dark cool air feels good especially here in the SF Bay area when the fog rolls in.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:23 AM
zombie
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with Rhubarb...I actually enjoy riding at night. In the summer, cooler temps...less cagers and the smells are better.

Quick Reply: Night Riding