General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night Riding

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 10:26 AM
Dancemax
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Night Riding

Ride at night or not....the fact is that Motor Cycle lights are nothing compared to car's and truck's. Often MC lights are not aligned. Most MC riders specially crotch rockets ride beyond the sight distane at night. Road hazards and animals are a greater risk. One should get experience in night riding but dont push it. Do what you feel most comfortable. I enjoy night riding but avoid it as much as possible.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:33 AM
jt1965
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is dark when I head in to work in the morning, 55 miles of Bambi dodging darkness. But usually at 4:30 am there are no other vehicles around.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dancemax

Ride at night or not....the fact is that Motor Cycle lights are nothing compared to car's and truck's. Often MC lights are not aligned. Most MC riders specially crotch rockets ride beyond the sight distane at night. Road hazards and animals are a greater risk. One should get experience in night riding but dont push it. Do what you feel most comfortable. I enjoy night riding but avoid it as much as possible.
So align your headlight. I can't imagine riding without the lights pointing ahead of me where they are supposed to.
My lights aren't worse than any of my cages, but then again I have the spots to supplement the 1 headlight.

and of course #1 rule, don't ride faster than you can see...

Old 09-19-2006, 11:10 AM
QT Hush
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My night vision is so bad that I avoid riding at night. Curves completely disappear while rounding them when a cage is coming the other way. Not very safe. I can't even see very well on a lit, straight road at night.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:55 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My night vision is crap so I too avoid it. Exception is pre dawn if I'm going on a trip or meeting other riders for a day trip. Not many cages then, but do see deer occasionally. [sm=grinangel.gif]

Old 09-19-2006, 01:05 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I ride at night and it's no problem. Just don't out run your head light. The only down fall for riding at night are the bugs.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:19 PM
stubby
Road Captain

With all other things variable; Lighting, road conditions, traffic, some folks see good at night , some don't. I have always had good night vision, now with age my eyes are getting weak, but I have been around people who can't even see across the street at night. Our vision is probably the one single thing that keeps us alive.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:26 PM
fordpartsguy
Road Warrior

i enjoy night riding. i just slow down a bit. being in my 40s my eyesight has changed a bit (for the worse) my night vision is still excellent.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:33 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't particularily care for night riding when I am traveling. 1st and foremost, because I can't see anything. If this is the 1st time through that territory I want to see EVERYTHING! The sky, the scenery, architecture, etc.etc. 2ndly, by the end of the day, I'm tired, it is much harder to concentrate on the road with glare from other headlights, and concentrating on all the other distractions (IE: Wildlife)... You have to be much more aware and on the watch for the critters, not to mention obstacles on the hwy. That just plain ol' tuckers me out.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:37 PM
venture33
Road Master

I agree with most of what has been posted above.
But, I differentiate between "Night" riding and "Dark" riding.
The days are getting shorter so my commute in the morning is in the dark. Close to 50 miles so I'm taking the super slab, and am at least keeping up with traffic (60 - 70).
My night rides are more for pleasure than transportation. I tend to be on back roads, not in a hurry, and likely have had one beer shy of the legal limit. The solitude is good for my head.

Bottom line:
To quote the Outlaw Josie Wales..."A man has to know his limitations."

Quick Reply: Night Riding