General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just when you thought you've seen it all

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 02:05 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,052 Likes on 17,933 Posts

Originally Posted by texas_speed_freak
On the compression test it had 30psi in the rear cylinder and 60psi in the front. Also pulled the cam cover to check that over and found a piece of broken piston ring inside the plastic breather. How it got there is anybodys guess, because the rings are still intact...

I'm betting Jefro was dancing from foot to foot telling you about badass this bike is when it's running right too . I know the type all to well man your in a hard spot with that basket case . You doing from a shop or as a side business like I do sometimes ? This is looking more and more like a walk away job from my end , nothing you can tell the owner is going to make any sense and your going to be the bad guy .

Keep posting I'd like to follow this a bit please . I see a bunch like this all to often .

Old 11-08-2010, 02:35 PM
GMbagger
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If this is what "old school" is about, then I'm glad that schools out.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:11 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,052 Likes on 17,933 Posts

Originally Posted by GMbagger
If this is what "old school" is about, then I'm glad that schools out.

This kinda stuff has squat to do with old school that there is dumbass redneck backyard as it get's , guys like that think Budweiser is best money can buy and a clean shirt is dressing up to go to WalMart .

Old 11-08-2010, 05:09 PM
stev0n
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-08-2010, 06:56 PM
Stubby3492
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To Quote Bobby Elvis on SOA... "Hell this bike hasn't even seen it's prime yet!"

Old 11-08-2010, 06:59 PM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the compression test it had 30psi in the rear cylinder and 60psi in the front. Also pulled the cam cover to check that over and found a piece of broken piston ring inside the plastic breather. How it got there is anybodys guess, because the rings are still intact...

That broken ring tear up or gouge up the case?

Old 11-08-2010, 07:08 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:27 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default yech!

Try to retain at least some self esteem. Business can't be that bad that you have to work on such pigs. (Just say no.)

Old 11-08-2010, 07:34 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

looks like it was eatin ricers/metrics for lunch..

Old 11-08-2010, 07:39 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Paniolo
I just wonder about the liability of working on a bike like that. The customer brings it in for an exhaust leak. The tech taps and extracts the stud and fixes the exhaust. The customer rides off with the exhaust fixed. Later down the road the JB Weld over the front down tube cracks (or anywhere else on the bike), the axle pops out and he wrecks. If that were to happen, I could see someone (meth head) coming back at the shop with a law suit for releasing an unsafe bike back to the customer. Yes I know the customer did all that JB Welding himself, but I could also see an ambulance chaser blaming the shop for giving the bike back to the customer that way. You can TELL the customer the bike is unsafe, you can WRITE IT on the mans bill, but I can still see a lawsuit in there somewhere.

Over 30 years ago I worked at an auto repair shop. A lady pulls in and her car is leaking oil. I look under it and she had cracked the oil pan and someone tried to repair it with putty (JB Weld I think) and duct tape. She was asking for us to putty it up again to get her down the road. I told her she either needed a new oil pan, or to have that one pulled and welded properly. I told the owner and he would not touch it unless she would let us repair it properly. I dumped in a quart of oil and GAVE her another quart. Off she went. Later he told me that if we worked on the car and released it to the customer, and she got into an accident or killed someone, we would liable for giving her back an unsafe car. Now I don't know if that's true or not, but it did stick in my mind.

A couple of years ago I was at my local independant bike shop getting a new tire. I told/asked the owner about changing out to some fancy looking rims. He advised against it. He told me of a bike that came in with a weird sound in the back. The owner had gotten new rims and tires from one of the high profile wheel and tire places a few months earlier. Well the shop that sold him the rim and tire installed the wrong axle bushings in the rear and the rear wheelbearing got messed up and broke under pressure. The man could have been killed. So the man took pics, saved the parts and went after the shop with an attorney. I don't know what the outcome was but that stuck in my mind too.

A BIG company like HD is not easy to sue, even if they do have a track list of problems like cracked swing arms and steering wobble. But a small independant shop is easier to go after.

i can't imagine there would be any liability on the techs part.. i know in md as a mechanic or state insp, you can not legally keep someone from driving their vehicle, regardless of the condition.. only a person with a badge can do that. i can't tell you how many times over the yrs i had the advisor or myself write on the customer copy that a vehicle was unsafe to drive and that they were informed both verbally and in written form.

Quick Reply: Just when you thought you've seen it all