General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Florida vertical plate law....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 10:36 AM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Florida vertical plate law....

I posted this in the Sportster section, but was wondering if any one had any insight into how this works:
I dunno how you would read into the law as it has been admended to allow for vertical plates as long as it can't be rotated to conceal the numbers.......technically the numbers wouldn't be concealed, just pointed in a different direction and no different if it was mounted horizontally on a sportster.

Anyone have any insight or idea how it would work?

http://www.prlog.org/10332367-govern...se-plates.html

Old 10-27-2010, 11:18 AM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vertical plates

I actually discussed this with our local HD owner because I forget which one but one model HD comes with a vertical mount license plate. His take on it was that as long as the plate was fixed and movable then all was ok. He said he had heard that what was happening was that (mainly the crotch rocket guys) were mounting the plates on movable back plates which could be then "rotated" to hide the numbers. So as long as yours is solidly mounted you should be ok.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:24 AM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

Originally Posted by fishcop
So as long as yours is solidly mounted you should be ok.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I have an Iron, but honestly I don't see the difference between horizontal and vertical on the swinging plate mount. I can rotate it just the same either way......

Old 10-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Marblemania
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, coppers spill their coffee and drop donut crumbs if they have to tilt their heads to read a plate.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:45 PM
95custmz
Road Master

Originally Posted by Marblemania
Yeah, coppers spill their coffee and drop donut crumbs if they have to tilt their heads to read a plate.
LMAO!

Old 10-28-2010, 08:45 AM
OUTLAW1969
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fishcop
His take on it was that as long as the plate was fixed and movable then all was ok. He said he had heard that what was happening was that (mainly the crotch rocket guys) were mounting the plates on movable back plates which could be then "rotated" to hide the numbers. So as long as yours is solidly mounted you should be ok.

Your dealer is mostly correct. Florida state statutes will be amended to allow these plates, and most leo's have been instructed about the difference.... and to not issue citations for it until the amendment is in place. The law was written for a totally different reason, and then was being "loosely interpreted" by individuals, and in some cases, whole agencies. Although, there are some hold-outs that might still issue a citation, it would be thrown out if you contested it in court. Check your local city ordinances too, though. Alot of cities have their own peculiar little quirks written, but hopefully nothing like this.

Atleast this is true locally, and I have actually seen a state bulletin that was issued to "correct" everyones interpretations of this law. So you are safe in Jacksonville, for sure, and probably everywhere else in Florida, too.

Last edited by OUTLAW1969; 10-28-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:00 AM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

Originally Posted by OUTLAW1969
Atleast this is true locally, and I have actually seen a state bulletin that was issued to "correct" everyones interpretations of this law. So you are safe in Jacksonville, for sure, and probably everywhere else in Florida, too.
Do you know if this would extend to mounting the plate vertically on the stock Iron/Nightster plate mount?

Old 10-28-2010, 09:25 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wahlumsurfer
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I have an Iron, but honestly I don't see the difference between horizontal and vertical on the swinging plate mount. I can rotate it just the same either way......
You can swing the plate either way, but the numbers are always facing to the rear of the vehicle. I have a vertical mount and have never had a problem... of course I changed it until the do gooder congress of Florida repealed it. The law was first introduced and pushed thru the Florida legislature by the gay congressman with two hyphenated last names from the Miami area after he and his "life partner" were surrounded by sport bikers doing tricks at 80 mph on the Miami freeway. He was pissed off that he couldn't read any of the license plates because they were tucked up and out of view... so he wanted all the ducks to line up and be exactly the same so that one only had to glance in one fixed spot in order to read a license plate. Like that was going to stop the sport bike crowd in Miami... I sent this photo to him along with a letter.

Attached Thumbnails Florida vertical plate law....-011.jpg  
Old 10-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Lord_Rahl
Tourer

and remember apes that go above the riders shoulders are illegal in florida as well. i have seen tickets for this.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:45 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member

Every vehicle, at all times while driven, stopped, or parked upon any highways, roads, or streets of this state, shall be licensed in the name of the owner thereof in accordance with the laws of this state unless such vehicle is not required by the laws of this state to be licensed in this state and shall, except as otherwise provided in s. 320.0706 for front-end registration license plates on truck tractors and s. 320.086(5) which exempts display of license plates on described former military vehicles, display the license plate or both of the license plates assigned to it by the state, one on the rear and, if two, the other on the front of the vehicle, each to be securely fastened to the vehicle outside the main body of the vehicle not higher than 60 inches and not lower than 12 inches from the ground and no more than 24 inches to the left or right of the centerline of the vehicle, and in such manner as to prevent the plates from swinging, and all letters, numerals, printing, writing, and other identification marks upon the plates regarding the word "Florida," the registration decal, and the alphanumeric designation shall be clear and distinct and free from defacement, mutilation, grease, and other obscuring matter, so that they will be plainly visible and legible at all times 100 feet from the rear or front. Vehicle license plates shall be affixed and displayed in such a manner that the letters and numerals shall be read from left to right parallel to the ground. No vehicle license plate may be displayed in an inverted or reversed position or in such a manner that the letters and numbers and their proper sequence are not readily identifiable. Nothing shall be placed upon the face of a Florida plate except as permitted by law or by rule or regulation of a governmental agency. No license plates other than those furnished by the state shall be used. However, if the vehicle is not required to be licensed in this state, the license plates on such vehicle issued by another state, by a territory, possession, or district of the United States, or by a foreign country, substantially complying with the provisions hereof, shall be considered as complying with this chapter. A violation of this subsection is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

Quick Reply: Florida vertical plate law....