General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avoiding TARGET FIXATION...tips anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a split second of TF yesterday.

Cruising up the freeway doing about 75 or so. Was in a long sweeping right and wanted to change lane to the left into the HOV lane.

As I start my lane change I could feel my focus hit onto the center dividing wall and a sense of swinging wide and into the wall consumed me (for a split second).
I quickly looked ahead to where I wanted to go and kept tight on the inside of the lane without swinging wide.

But I could easily see how someone could freeze in this situation and drive themselve right into the wall.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hockey Stick
Had a split second of TF yesterday.

Cruising up the freeway doing about 75 or so. Was in a long sweeping right and wanted to change lane to the left into the HOV lane.

As I start my lane change I could feel my focus hit onto the center dividing wall and a sense of swinging wide and into the wall consumed me (for a split second).
I quickly looked ahead to where I wanted to go and kept tight on the inside of the lane without swinging wide.

But I could easily see how someone could freeze in this situation and drive themselve right into the wall.
This has happened to me a couple times (not hitting the wall), but on the highway... Seems that the higher the speed (and therefor more inertia/centrifugal force) its seems that I tend to let this happen.... wakes you up for sure!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:08 PM
moejo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head and eyes

This phenomenon of target fixation was explained to me by a Motor Officer instructor at a large PD. As from childhood we are taught hand to eye coordination is keeping your eye fixed on your target and reaching out with your hand to capture this object. It becomes a basic motor skill we all enjoy (hopefully).
The problem with motorcycling when you apply Head and Eyes technique is we have to reorientate our thinking and detach our head from our hands. We must trust that when we turn our head AWAY from our hands, our hands will follow with the motorcycle. Trust your training and your skills and you will be shocked what you can accomplish on your bike.
However make no mistake about it........you must master these skills in order to have a great experience when you ride.
The old addage PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT applies here big time.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by moejo
turn our head AWAY
Yup, head turns. It was the first thing I said.

It's one of the hardest things for folks to learn. Every weekend I am out there telling folks "Turn your head and look where you want to go". Interestingly enough, newer riders adapt to it easier than old timers. Sometimes it's easier to work with a new rider who is open to learning than with a rider with 25 or 30 years of bad habits to try and break.