General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avoiding TARGET FIXATION...tips anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 07:15 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Leaned a long time ago how to stay between the shoulders,comes from being aggressive.You have to look ahead and be prepared for any and all situations.We all go through a learning curve,some get it some don't.The reason why we all travel at different speeds.Very important to know your ride,and what it's limits are and the very reason why I build my own machines,they become extensions of your body making high speed aggressive riding a pure adreniline rush.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:43 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

Good thread!

I know this stuff but it always help to re-read it.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:27 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Common occurence in flying and racing cars too. 1) You got to look where you want to go, not where you're going; and, 2) You can't stare at what's directly ahead of you either. If you're following another car you need to be looking beyond him not at his trunk badges and lights. Too many times I've seen the guy in trail follow "lead" right off the road, or break the hard floor on a range because he was just following the guy in front versus controlling his own path. Finally, you always need a "what if" plan. What if the guy turns in front of me, what if I go in too hot, what am I going to do and where am I going to go?

Old 10-27-2010, 09:09 AM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
Simple really, practice looking at your "outs" or "escape paths" (where you may want to go). You will still see the cars, road, signs, animals etc. You just won't focus on them.
I think this hits on the best way to prevent target fixation. In an emergency situation I do not think you can control what your reactions are, you have to develop the proper habits through practice. When I am out riding I try to go through the curves and such with a definate goal in mind such as an exact exit point, or holding a specific line through the curve, or whatever. It will actually amaze you when you pick out a specifc spot on the road, say a dark spot you can see 100 yards ahead, and keep your head and eyes on that spot...you will run right over it. While doing this, also keep your peripheral vision aware of any other traffic, that cow by the fence post, the dogs in the yard, etc. In other words, teach yourself to see things without looking directly at them while developing a constant habit of looking where you want to go.

Develop proper riding skills when you do not actually need them so that they kick in automatically when you do need them.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:27 AM
TexasCowGrower
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent suggestions! My own experience with this (as I have posted the story before) involved a trip home from work. As I was approaching a sweeping curve to the left a huge mechanic's tool truck ran a stop sign in the apex of the curve. I was about a 1/2 block away doing 80mph on a sportbike. My FIRST thought was that I was going to DIE!. I pulled the front brakes and looked behind the truck for an "out". I noticed the second car pulling UP to the stop sign and feared they too would pull out...deleted that option. Pulled the brake harder and actually thought I would get it stopped until the rear wheel came off the ground. I was then out of options (or so I THOUGHT) so I layed the bike onto it's left side and slid into the side of the truck behind the rear wheel. Later I noted I had hit the truck about two feet from the REAR bumper and the skidmarks stopped almost at the yellow centerline! Had I not been "FIXATED" on the truck I could have driven BEHIND him easily, unfortunately, I was too afraid of the second car. I know about looking "through" curves and such, but when something like this happens, no matter HOW fast you are traveling, it tends to get your attention...ALL of IT, and sometimes it can HURT!

Old 10-27-2010, 12:56 PM
dv102
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasCowGrower
I know about looking "through" curves and such, but when something like this happens, no matter HOW fast you are traveling, it tends to get your attention...ALL of IT, and sometimes it can HURT!
I think each scenario has it's own variables. In my case I was coming off a curve up a hill into another curve, When an oncoming bike lost it and slid into my path. In hind sight I still cannot see any way I could have avoided impact. I could have swerved into his lane which could have put me head on into someone else or I could have tried to swerve off the rode which would have sent me down a ravine. But the angle the bike was coming at me was such that that left me no option but to hit him head on. Even the rider of the bike told the cops there was nothing I could have done to avoid him.

Avoiding TF can be good for avoiding objects not moving or slower moving objects especially objects that can't think, but as the speeds of different objects are increased, the your reaction times are too usually too small to avoid an impact.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:25 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

A head-on is always the worst as closure rates are usually about double and the angles are so bad they exceed the manuverability of almost any platform. Sometimes you're just "SOL."

Old 10-28-2010, 08:29 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Simply keep your head up and turn it to look where you want to drive. Do not look at the obstruction but where you want to go. The bike will drive where you look as long as you keep your head up and both hands on the grips. It works.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:49 AM
casper gomez
Tourer

my scariest target fixation was on north georgia mountain roads riding behind a couple riding two-up. the guy took nasty downhill snake too hot and went off the road on the inside. he didn't lose the bike but his wife got bucked off when they bounced up out of this shallow ditch and back on the road. her leg got caught in the passenger footboard and she got dragged across the road right in front of me. i went low and just missed running over her. i gambled that the driver wouldn't be able to stop before i got to a certain spot and i got lucky. that was some truly scary ****.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Target Fixation hurts me the most when with the wife and walking along Huntington Beach in the summer

Quick Reply: Avoiding TARGET FIXATION...tips anyone?