General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avoiding TARGET FIXATION...tips anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:22 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default see the clear path

A few months ago I was riding a long section of twisties on a poorly maintained mountain road, where there were frequent small rock-slides. At times I caught myself watching intently for the debris in the road, sometimes actually running over it, thinking: DAMN! But I forced myself to look for the clear path through the debris, and the problem was eliminated. This technique has helped me through very bad roads where there were lots of potholes; looking for the clear path w/ no holes. Same w/ dirt roads--seeing the best path having the least holes, rocks, and bad spots.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:24 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Target Fixation is real and hard to overcome. A rider needs to be comfortable with his/her bike and riding skills. It's natual to look at what you don't want to hit. Nerves will make you fixate on that object and ride right into it.
It's simple to say 'look to where you want to go', it's difficult to do it. You need to practice all the time. Think about it and do it on curves. It's an amazing feeling when you purposely do this and feel the bike just natually go with you.

However, I don't think T.F. is closely related to the scenario of hitting a car which turns left in front of you. The skill of swerving, as someone mentioned, is.
Too many riders don't realize, or don't have the experience, that most cases can be riden out. Bikes are so manuverable. A rider needs to know how to control the bike, throw it around, hang off the side, move your butt. don't just be a passenger.
This is the reason I believe a few years on a dirt bike, or other off hwy riding, is so beneficial.

I did t-bone a left turner in my day. In this case, maybe target fixation helped me. I was fixated on what I was obviously going to hit.
Swerving may or may not have saved me.
1. I didn't have the time to know what was to my side which I may have swerved into, or the condition of the road to the side which may have caused me to lose traction.
2. I didn't know if the car would continue in it's path which then may have t-boned me.

Fixating on the car, rather than screaming like a little girl as I dump the bike, allowed me to hold my bike upright, use the brakes up until the collision, and jump UP off my pegs on collision causing me to fly over the car avoiding impact to my body. VIOLA!

I am far from a great rider. Target Fixation sometimes gets to me on the curves. Many times I feel tense and nervous when riding unfamiliar roads.
But when I can overcome that, relax and enjoy my ride, I feel like I can throw that 700lb+ bike around like it's my old YZ125.
Many times when I have a close call, natural reactions (learned in the dirt) and the idea that I will do anything I can before laying the bike down take over.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:42 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I agree with all the others. This is something that they really talk about in the MSF courses. I've been able to kind of train myself to recognize the fixation and break it quickly. So far it's worked, but there's always that one time....

Old 10-26-2010, 03:52 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The only Target fixation I ever had was a fine looking lady,too many times almost crashed checking out the felines.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:33 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

I don't think there were any fine ladies to distract this guy. http://bikerpunks.com/mediaviewer/24...guardrail.html

Old 10-26-2010, 04:47 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
Some driving schools do the drill where you drive down the center-lane towards 3 traffic lights side-by-side, and then two lights turn red and the other light turns green- you're supposed to swerve to go under the green light. This supposeedly makes swerving instinctive.

But the way I "avoid" target fixation came from years of racing, where I had to avoid spinning competitors. This taught me to aim for a spot where the other vehicle won't be when I get to that spot, but it involves being arround vehicles that are all headed generally in the same direction. And I can't say I avoid "Target Fixation", because there have been times I was so focussed on the guy in front of me that when he forgot to slow down for a corner, I kept following him.

It's kinda like going around a corner. We're supposed to train our eyes to look where we're going, and we'll go there. Don't look at the rock you want to miss. And try to think about what you'll do if the left-turner that's ready to turn in front of you actually does. Can I cut in behind him if he pulls in front of me without hitting oncoming traffic? Is the pavement between lanes clean, or is it littered with debris ? What lane position gives me the most visibility, and what lane position will give me the best chance to avoid contact ?

Absolutely correct. Absolutely easier said than done!

Old 10-26-2010, 05:42 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Target Fixation

SA will cure it...situational awareness. There are always other options if you look for them.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:53 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

It is as simple as watching the road and where you want to go. Used to have my own issues with this and had at least 1 wreck that was my fault due to target fixation as I was watching the taillight of the bike in front of me.

Drew

Old 10-26-2010, 06:21 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

In the scenerio you posted, with a car turning left in front of a rider, the rider usually does one of three things. You mention target fixation: The rider sees the hazard, stares at it, panics, and runs into it. Or, the rider turns right as the cage turns left, and broadsides the cage. Or, the rider sees the hazard, panics, hits the brakes, and low sides into it.

Don't overlook the obvious. If the cage is already turning left in front of you, that driver is no longer looking at you (if he ever did!) and is going to cross in front of you. He has already made the decision to turn, and will (almost always) continue to turn. That opens up a huge hole....BEHIND the cage. Swerve to the left, around behind the vehicle, and immediately swerve right to get back into your lane.

For all of you who don't believe in a MSF course....well, swerving is one of the techniques taught.....

As for avoiding target fixation: Keep your eyes moving. Don't stare. Look where you want to go, and your mind/body interaction will take you along that path.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:11 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 55Bubba
I think MSf teaches SEE where you are constantly looking , evaluating your dangers and making plans to escape or evade the problem. AS others have said, where you look is where you go. A wide man once said that a motorcycle stops faster on it's wheels than on its side sliding down the road.
Could not have stated it any better.

Jim

Quick Reply: Avoiding TARGET FIXATION...tips anyone?