General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo/tach combo question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:56 AM
FastGraf
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo/tach combo question

I hate not having a tach.

Instead of an add-on, I'm looking at the HD combination speedo/tach that drops into the current speedometer hole. (HD part # 74676-09).

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

My question is do you retain the current features: two trip meters; odo.;clock, low fuel miles to empty and "idiot lights" for 6th gear, low fuel, fuel injectors, check engine, oil temp?

I've asked two dealerships and they scratched their heads and I called HD customer service and was told they don't know b/c they outsource them but they wouldn't let me call their vendor and ask them. What a laugh.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Uncle Bill
Stage IV

Though not exactly the same set-up as the one you are looking at, I have the spun alumnium speedo/tach combination for my 08 FXDC. It has two trip meters, and odometer, low fuel indicator, 6th gear light, check engine/oil light, and security alarm light (I think that's it). There's no clock, oil temp, or miles until empy, as you alluded to in your post.

Hope that helps...

Old 10-26-2010, 04:43 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

I can tell you that my Heritage has a speedo option that shows what gear you are in and your RPM. I drive leaving it selected and check it all the time. I obviously still have the two trip meters, DTE, clock and mileage.

Having said that I can't imagine that the one you are looking at would leave out those other options.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Getbigmatt
2nd Gear

Im also interested in this set up for the purpose of the tach. Do you have to go to the dealer to have the mileage reinstated?

Old 10-26-2010, 04:48 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FastGraf
I hate not having a tach.

Instead of an add-on, I'm looking at the HD combination speedo/tach that drops into the current speedometer hole. (HD part # 74676-09).

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

My question is do you retain the current features: two trip meters; odo.;clock, low fuel miles to empty and "idiot lights" for 6th gear, low fuel, fuel injectors, check engine, oil temp?

I've asked two dealerships and they scratched their heads and I called HD customer service and was told they don't know b/c they outsource them but they wouldn't let me call their vendor and ask them. What a laugh.
I have that very combo on my FXDF for the past 2 years. It retains all functions that were on the factory issued speedo... idiot lights, trip meters, odo, clock, miles to empty,low fuel, check engine, oil. I have since changed the front sprocket from 32 teeth to 30 teeth, and the 6th gear indicator no longer functions.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Getbigmatt
Im also interested in this set up for the purpose of the tach. Do you have to go to the dealer to have the mileage reinstated?
Actually, your dealer will order it from the MoCo and the MoCo sets the speedo mileage prior to shipment to your dealer.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:52 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by BassCatcher
I can tell you that my Heritage has a speedo option that shows what gear you are in and your RPM. I drive leaving it selected and check it all the time. I obviously still have the two trip meters, DTE, clock and mileage.

Having said that I can't imagine that the one you are looking at would leave out those other options.

I'm not familiar with that on a Harley. Sometimes, I find that I am a gear too high or too low. Not necessary, but a nice feature. I have the 6th gear indicator. Without it, I know I'd be looking for 7th! Was it a stock unit?

Old 10-27-2010, 12:58 AM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one just like the one you pictured. It's on my '07 Heritage. Mine does not have a clock or miles to empty feature. But it does have all the rest.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:36 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default All functions available on the tach/speedo combo

I have the same unit on my 09RK. It's an easy plug'n'play install for the later models. Depending on who you buy it from, they will ask you what mileage you want on it. If you buy it directly from a dealer they will probably check either your service history or visually check your bikes odometer. I ordered mine via the phone and the guy asked what I wanted on it. Just depends I guess.
ps: just don't get it wet, they are not that water tight.

Last edited by Watch Guy; 10-27-2010 at 02:36 AM. Reason: addendum
Old 10-27-2010, 07:22 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
I'm not familiar with that on a Harley. Sometimes, I find that I am a gear too high or too low. Not necessary, but a nice feature. I have the 6th gear indicator. Without it, I know I'd be looking for 7th! Was it a stock unit?
Sorry for the late reply. Yes it is stock on the new Heritages.

Quick Reply: Speedo/tach combo question