General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABC HD in Waterford, MI

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts
Default ABC HD in Waterford, MI

Any experiences with the service department at this dealership? Good/Bad/Indifferent?

Old 09-18-2006, 07:27 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: ABC HD in Waterford, MI

I have personsally NOT used them, However, from some of the guys I talk to, thier service department is pretty good. Timely, and accurate with repairs is what I have heard for the last several years.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:57 PM
Dancemax
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am Ann Arbor area, all I have haered is nothing bad, that should be good news. Actually all dealers are OK to me but some reason MC riders tend to be too picky, I think auto dealers are more vicious.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:48 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

Thanks for the replies! The reason I'm asking is that I've had service done at: Ann Arbor HD, MoTown HD, and Motor City HD. Of the three, I would only go back to Motor City (but I haven't used them for service since they moved and went 'upscale'). I called Motor City today to see if they could work on my bike, and not take a couple weeks doing it. No problem, bring it in. So then I asked if they could pick up my bike....They said it would be a week before they could schedule a pickup. I'm wonder were they're picking up and delivering bikes? Omaha? I live eighteen miles from their dealership.

I don't want to ride the bike because there is something wrong with it, I don't know what, but something isn't right...It's a long painful story....That never wants to end...It just continues to write new chapters. I've been through two independent shops in the last three years. I'm not taking it back to the last shop. So I figured I'll try the dealers....again.

The guy, Allen I think his name was, in service at ABC actually seemed helpful, even though I've got a thirteen year old bike. I didn't get any of the attitude I got when I was at Cummings HD in Burton, MI. about not wanting to work on older bikes. He said that he could be out tomorrow to pick it up. Even bring a workorder with him so I wouldn't have to make the trip (50 miles one way) to the dealership.

We'll see how this chapter unfolds. Since I've owned this bike I've learned never to let my expectation exceed my ability to accept disappointment.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:58 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Dancemax

I am Ann Arbor area, all I have haered is nothing bad, that should be good news. Actually all dealers are OK to me but some reason MC riders tend to be too picky, I think auto dealers are more vicious.
Yeah, But I've never had an auto dealer's sevice department keep my car for seven weeks. And then have to take it back again, and again. I'm just as picky about my cars as my bike. Jeez....What's an auto dealer service department charge? $70-75 per hour...No different than the HD dealers. Theses guyz are supposed to know what they're doing whether they work in an Auto Dealership, Motorcycle Dealership, or whatever independent shops out there....I get the feeling sometimes that 'they' all think everyone that brings a car/motorcycle/etc in for service...Is an idiot.....I don't like it when my car breaks down after it's been repair, I like it even less when my bike breaks down after it's been repaired.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:04 AM
5701andbroke
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't heard anything bad about ABC. They had a part I needed when all the other dealers didn't and I was set to go to Texas. I wouldn't ever deal with Mowtown on telegraph rd. American and Motor-City are good dealers.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:14 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

Alan from ABC called me this morning at 11:10, said he was about to leave the shop and come pick up the bike...It's a good 30-40 mile trip each way. He arrived at noon, and after shooting the breeze (turns out he's a retired LEO from one of the Grosse Points) for a bit we filled out the work order, and he loaded up the scoot. I asked him to write up the tow charge separate so I could turn it into on of the three towing services I have.

We'll keep everyon posted on this experience.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:26 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

Alan from ABC called last evening, must of been around 4-5pm. Said that he was just calling to let me know that they were looking at the bike. He said that there were three guys that they wanted to have work on my bike as they had the experience with 'older' (geez it's only a 93 I can't get historic plates for it just yet.) bikes. Two of them were off today, and the one that's looking at my bike now had been tied up in the dyno room until now.

He also asked if I'd be interested in a driver's backrest for the bike, cause they had one in stock that matched my FLHS seat and would sell it to me at an employee's discount. I figured what the heck, I'd always thought about getting one, and If I don't like how it looks...It is detachable. Hopefully today I get 'The Call' as to what is wrong with this bike.....

Old 09-21-2006, 12:31 PM
SUPER01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like they might do ok with the service.
They are great with sales, got you buying something you didn't even know you needed.

If your ever in Mid-Michigan (Saginaw-Bay City area) stop by Syndicate Cycle or Bubba's Tri City Cycle. These guys know what they are doing and will work on any Harley no matter how old. I was at Syndicate and they had a 1950's something in there for some repair work.
The local HD dealers are good too just a little more expensive for some things.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SUPER01

Sounds like they might do ok with the service.
They are great with sales, got you buying something you didn't even know you needed.

If your ever in Mid-Michigan (Saginaw-Bay City area) stop by Syndicate Cycle or Bubba's Tri City Cycle. These guys know what they are doing and will work on any Harley no matter how old. I was at Syndicate and they had a 1950's something in there for some repair work.
The local HD dealers are good too just a little more expensive for some things.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Yeah...I'm a sucker for a deal....Especially on a part that The MoCo has probably obsoleted.....

Quick Reply: ABC HD in Waterford, MI