General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety Devices

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 01:22 PM
ut_vols_fan
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety Devices

Damn, I'm sure getting tired of reading about more bikers taken out or f***ed up by inattentive cagers. My questions for all are:

1) Do you have a headlight modulator or brake light modulator installed. If so, do you like it? Is it effective? Thinking about getting one or both for Christmas from me to me.....Just ordered the HD kit to convert my tail light into running lights/brake lights too, but always looking for something better and more effective.

2) Other than defensive driving, what's the most effective device you have installed on your bike to help others see you and minimize trouble?

Keep the shiny side up!!

Old 09-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Mikester48
Advanced
Default RE: Safety Devices

I had a headlight modulator on my last bike and it attracted a lot of attention, so I would say that it was effective. I don't have one on my current bike, haven't got around to it. I run with my bright headlight on during the daytime, and ride like I am invisible. I know what you mean about reading the news, it can get to you if you think about it. I try to wear a bright colored shirt if I'm going to be riding all day, wear a light colored helmet or do-rag. I don't think any of that is effective against some nut just not looking. They biggest thing we can do is ride defensively, in the end its really up to us to stay out of harms way.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:28 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member

I have the signal dynamics (they're down here in fort lauderdale) headlight modulator and taillight combo modulator... Tail/Brake/Signals combo with LEDs (Big display/bulbs) and LED liscence surround with larger taillights. Large display LED signals up front and passing lamps.

That and a cowardly disposition with a major aversion to pain (Caution) is my plan.

Jim aka kiltiemon

Old 09-18-2006, 02:28 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been riding 65+ years and so far for me, paying attention and being aware of what I'm doing and where I'm at in relation to trouble has paid off 100 %.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:47 PM
vegashd
Banned

I perosnally think the headlight modulators are a POS. CYCLE WORLD did a test a few years back about them and found they made no difference on the highway.

It may attract attention when moving slow, or while stopped but thats not the attention you need. The attention you need is the punk young kid, new driver, woman on a cell phone, who makes the quick evassive manuever that cuts into your lane while trying to buzz through traffic. People not paying attention slowly coming into your lane are not nearly a threat. In fact someone casually switching lanes causing a threat to you where you feel you need a modulator shows you need better driving techniques. I pay attention to everything that goes on around me. The guys that slowly come into my lane i just slwoly move over with them and tap on their window... DO not ride in blind spots.

if a driver cannot see a big loud bike with a headlight on, they WILL NOT see a flashing light.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:48 PM
Pathfinder
Cruiser

I run with my passing lights on at all times during daylight hours. Added high mount tour pack spoiler with brake light and lighted saddle bag turn signal latches.

IMHO, AGGRESSIVE DEFENSIVE DRIVING is an absolute necessity. My wife used to think I was galking around looking at everthing along the road until she started riding. Now she knows I was looking for threats. S.E.E.!!!

The biggest threat I see in the last 45,000 mi. is cagers on cell phones! We lost a rider here locally a couple weeks ago. A young girl traveling in the opposite direction (on a 2 lane road) dropped her cell phone on the floor, leaned down to get it and hit a man and his wife on their scooter head on. Killed the man, obviously injured the wife and put her in the hospital.

My neighbor damn near hit me last week at 15 MPH because he was jackin around with his cell phone. He wasn't 100 feet from his driveway before he was grabbin for his cell phone.

They have got to start enforcing the laws in place about cell phones in the cages. I can't believe that HD even sells a cell phone interface for the new radio systems in the baggers.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:49 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This helps...

Name:  DSC01859.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  112.4 KB

Old 09-18-2006, 04:45 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the HD stoplight kit and Motolights on the front. The Motolights are mounted low on the forks to provide the "triangle of light " that is supposed to be so effective.

My touring bike has PIAA auxiliary lights and Hyperlights on the back. Don't reccomend PIAA , replacement bulbs too expensive.

My wife's bike has a headlight modulator and Hyperlights in the back. I really like Hyperlights-going to put them on the Harley when I figure out a good clean installation.

I put all this stuff on about three years ago after a series of close calls I think they work as no one has pulled out or turned on me since and I ride about 24,000 miles a year.

Not to say I put any trust in these things, as others have said before "you gotta ride like you are invisible".

Old 09-18-2006, 04:52 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will be putting air horn on - prolly the expensive but small MoCo version.

But until the legal buttplugs do something about the growing cager epidemic nothing will do much good. Change the law so these morons are treated like drunks and things WOULD improve.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member

Defensive driving, treat all cages as idiots. The trumpet horns help also.

Quick Reply: Safety Devices