General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Layers or spend $$$ for heated stuff??!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010 | 08:23 PM
Blackheat
|
Tourer
Default Layers or spend $$$ for heated stuff??!!

Are layers better then heated stuff? Does the heated stuff get hot enough and what heated stuff is a "gotta buy" and how much to spend on it?

Attached Thumbnails Layers or spend $$$ for heated stuff??!!-bike-10-16-2010.jpg  
Old 10-23-2010 | 08:36 PM
dgoodbmw
Tourer
Default electrics

I use an electric vest and gloves, wired together, using a thermostat. Yes they do get HOT ENOUGH and the thermostat allows you to get comfortable without all the bulk of layers. Highly recommended if you ride under 40 degrees regularly.

Old 10-23-2010 | 08:51 PM
Squee
Cruiser

I definately recommend heated gear if you are riding below 30 or 40 degrees. If you are on the bike long enough that cold air is going to penetrate the layers anyway. Before I bought the heated jacket, on those long rides it was only a matter of time before my jacket and the layer felt as cold as the air I was riding in.s

I picked my gerbing jacket up off of ebay last year and so far no complaints. The mornings here are already at 30 degrees and I feel like I could ride comfortably all day. During the 20 degree weather I put on the heated jacket and a heay winter jacket and I am fine.

If you hate the cold weather as much as I do the $180ish is well worth it.

Old 10-23-2010 | 09:02 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Lightbulb

I've argued that concept myself for a long time. I've been riding a lot of years and faced all kinds of weather and temperatures. Now that I'm much older, I find my comfort level needs to be higher.

I find that layering works for me. I know when its going to be pretty durned cold, so on goes the long johns first. For my legs, that is usually enough down to maybe 35 degrees with just the Levi's and boots. Above the waist, I wear a regular cotton t-shirt, a woolen shirt, and my winter jacket and I'm good to go. What I've always had trouble with is my hands getting so cold that they hurt, get stiff, and move slower.

I bought some electric gloves. Hated the wires and sent them back. I tried battery operated gloves, not enough endurance, though both kept my hands fairly warm. I even tried those chemical heat packs but no heat where its needed.

So, after much thought, I went for heated handlebar grips. Bingo! No wires, hands stay warm, and I only need to turn them on. I know, I know, HD grips have had trouble and so did mine. They worked for one winter and quit. Under warranty, the rheostat was replaced and I'm told they've worked out the bugs. So far (I've only used them once) everything is fine.

I also have a First Gear riding jumpsuit. I wear it below 30 degrees. Never get cold in it. Awfully bulky when its time to store it in a saddlebag, but its a true all weather riding suit.

Old 10-23-2010 | 09:09 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member

Layers for me! I used to do winter mountaineering so layering comes most naturally for me.

Old 10-23-2010 | 09:15 PM
mikey120
Intermediate

For myself I would like some kind of heated gloves but thats about it. I have a pair of artic carhartt coveralls and they are warm, real warm. Last winter on the coldest day it was around the mid 20's when i left for work and from head to toe it went fullface modular helmet, turtle fur neck cover, cotton tee, jeans, cotton socks, boots, and my artic coveralls and some gloves. I traveled 20 miles on the freeway at 70mph and was very comfy but at the stop lights I would start sweating. My only comlaint are my hands gotta do something about that.
just my 2 cents
mike

Old 10-23-2010 | 10:31 PM
dutcharoo
Cruiser
Default Heated clothes

I used heated gloves last year and they worked great, just bought a heated jacket to go with the gloves. It is well worth the price. Was out in February and the temp was 25deg hands stayed warm. Well worth the money

Old 10-23-2010 | 11:29 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

Heated gear was the best riding equipment money I have ever spent.

Old 10-24-2010 | 12:02 AM
jackstrr
Road Warrior

heated grips still left the tops of my hands cold. gloves were better my $.02

Old 10-24-2010 | 12:15 AM
Elgin47
Cruiser

The older I get the colder I get; so my heated liner and gloves make it a whole lot more comfortable to ride when the temps regularly drop below 40. Like now, for instance.

Layering alone used to work for me, and I still layer some with the heated stuff but just not as many.

Quick Reply: Layers or spend $$$ for heated stuff??!!