General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freedom vs. Fear

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 09:26 PM
Hiram
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Freedom vs. Fear

I second virtually everything all those in favor have said. In my situation, I invited the wife to take the course with me, not just go see it, not just visit, but actually become part of what I was doing. Gotta say, she's a trooper. She was terrified but she took the course and she passed. She's still terrified of bikes, but she wants a trike, too cool. Try it, you might like it.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:51 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My best friend who rides with us, is the Chief of staff in E.R., need I say more?

Enjoy and ride safe.

Regards.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member

Its not how long you lived its how much did you enjoy the life you had.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:06 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Since I've been riding all my adult life, I haven't faced the problem of getting the wife to sign off on riding a motorcycle. I would think that a serious conversation involving your desire to ride, and assurances that you will do it the right way; MSF course, protective gear top the list of things.

You might find that she will put aside her objections once the bike is bought, the courses taken and passed, and she goes for her first ride on the back. Hard to express the allure until it is experienced.

My wife can't go on long trips with me and always puts up a fuss when I go. But the first night I'm gone, when I check in, I find her in good spirits. Sometimes it is the anticipation rather than the actual doing, that worries people.

Have fun. Be careful, and responsible.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:50 AM
jackhammer
Tourer

I love bikes and always will. I often think of old age and how crappy it will be when I can't ride anymore ( I'm 40 now). I have had my share of close calls, some I still dream about and have had only one run in with a truck ( I lost, two brocken arms, one busted collar bone and tons of road rash and bruises). Not trying to scare you its just part of this game. If your serious then do it but keep the fear and that will keep you safe, loose the fear and you will take chances, perhaps cost you the ultimate. As for your family, well its not worth the devorce especially if this is just a last minute passion to ride and then next month its boating. There is alot of satisfaction that comes with riding and it is a way of life for some and for the rest, its not what they thought it would be and sell. Maybe buy a cheap bike or used HD to see if its your cup of tea first.

Good luck with your choice.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:27 AM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doctors kill more people every year than motorcycles and handguns combined. More people die of infections they get while in the hospital than those that go in with one. Yet no one stops going to the doctor. Fact is that the most dangerous thing the average person can do is drive to work in the morning and then back at night. Yet everyone does it. Every......single.......day.

How many men have lived and died having never lived the simple dream of riding a motorcycle? How many selfish wives have made it so? What's worse is that they do it strictly according to age-old, misguided, pre-conceived notions born out of pure ignorance. We have a family friend, he is a little older than my parents, in his mid-late 50's. He has wanted a Harley so bad he could taste it for as long as I can remember. His wife wouldn't let him do it. His kids grew up and moved on. She still wouldn't let him. He worked his *** off and retired from a utility company with a good pension. He was a faithful husband and father. Overall a good, hard working man that spent little money on himself. Here he is retired with grown kids, plenty of money and she still wouldn't let him get one. Now, just a few years after retirement, he's having unforeseen health problems. He has already lost one eye and is coming to the realization that he will never be able to ride.

How tragic is that? And for no good friggin' reason but a woman's unjustified fear of the unknown. I hate to get off on a rant but it just really bothers me to see a good man immasculated by a woman just because she's afraid to let him live.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:58 AM
Phil K
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got back into biking after a 21 year hiatus...took some real convincing for the wife as i had been hit years back on a Sporty...it's everything i remember it was...go for it,and check back here often...lots of good people and good advice.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:26 AM
Andym
6th Gear

Phil - you are right on on three counts. I need to do this, there's lots of good advice here and there are a lot of good people.

Andy.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:03 AM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior

Well like everyone else I think you should do it. Accidents can happen everywhere or at anytime.

I wonder if your wife works? I can understand her concerns, but does she understand yours? In the end you have to do what is best for you and of course your family.

Take a MSF or Rider's Edge course get your license and insurance then get out on the road. You will regret it if you don't and you may blame your ol' lady down the road.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:26 AM
nod
Intermediate

I too experienced life as many posted above. Road the living sh*t out of a sportster. Can't believe I didn't kill myself. Went many years without a scoot and finally purchased a Wide Glide. Followed the advice posted above and stayed out of trouble. Sold the bike to help purchase a new 3/4 ton truck with the intent of buying a Electra Glide in the near future. Two weeks ago while setting at a red light some a$$ hole rear ends me. He never even attempted to stop. Really made me wonder where I would be now had I been setting on the WG. I dunno.... I'll probably still get another scoot. Hard to get riding out of your system. FWIW: Dodge Ram 2500 - $900.00 worth of damage 1990 Toyota Corolla completely totaled

nod

Quick Reply: Freedom vs. Fear