General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freedom vs. Fear

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 02:54 PM
zombie
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Freedom vs. Fear

The way I look at it is; When it's your time...it's your time, and it's going to happen in the shower or on a bike or anywhere else.

A few years back, a guy driving under an overpass in California when a big piece of concrete falls off the overpass onto the car and kills the driver...what are the chances of being under that overpass at the exact moment a chuck of concrete comes falling down on you. Life has no guarantees and all you can do is enjoy it.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:55 PM
Andym
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you one and all for your advice and counsel. I have a very good friend who's been on bikes since he was 16 and now works as a Harley mechanic. He's offered to give me some "private" lessons before I do the HD Riding Course.

One thing I have learned though - Harley riders seem to look out for each other like family. I think I like that as much as I like the sound of the bikes themselves.

I'll keep 'yall posted.

Andy.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Mr Breeze
Cruiser

Here ia another good point.........Do you want to be on your death bed dying of old age or whatever and say to yourself "So this is how i'm gonna go....and all these years I could of "Been It The Wind".........Andym.....NO REGRET'S

Old 09-18-2006, 03:48 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: zombie
The way I look at it is; When it's your time...it's your time, and it's going to happen in the shower or on a bike or anywhere else.
This has actually been my philosophy for a while. I had done things earlier in life that were, in retrospect, somewhat stupid but at the same time what's life without doing the things you want to, stupid or not.

In terms of the motorcycle, I'm in the same camp many of the guys here are. I turned 40 in April and I had always wanted a motorcycle since I was younger. My father had one when he was younger, but my Grandmother was very opposed to motorcycles. I was also always worried about crazy drivers and all the standard fears.

I finally went to a local MSF course with a friend and said that if I went through the course and afterward felt confident enough that riding a motorcycle was for me, that I was finally going to take the plunge and get one. 2 weeks after the course I bought my first motorcycle (a Sportster 1200C) and have been loving it ever since. Riding makes my wife a little nervous, but I alleviate this with the fact that I wear a full face helmet, armor jacket, and boots any time I ride. I've done everything I can to ride safe, so she is at least more comfortable with the idea, which I think helps when trying to sell it to ones wife or kids.

The main thing I've noticed is that you just have to enjoy it. I've locked up my rear wheel once and I came close to hitting the edge of a curve I misjudged once, but in both cases I've been calm, remembered what I've been taught, and after each incident I've just gone on to enjoy the ride. If I was nervous all the time I would probably not enjoy it near as much. This was why I went with the MSF course as my "trial ride" before committing to riding.

So, I would echo what others have said and recommend you take an MSF course, or the Riders Edge course and if afterward you're thinking "hell yeah, I'm buying a motorcycle" then I imagine you can work out any of the issues with your wife or daughter.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:50 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Andy, welcome to HDF from Utica New York. Don't fear, but respect the machine. Watch out for the other guy and you will be fine. Take a basic MSF course. As others have stated go for it [8D]

Old 09-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go for it, you may be surprised how much the wife enjoys it if she can get over the anger part. I would never have guessed how much my wife does. We tool around to eat, junk stores, and sight see all the time. She absolutely loves it.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:10 PM
Maniac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

You can just use the philosophy that I use in life that applies to most anything.

It's ALWAYS easier to ask for FORGIVENESS than PERMISSION.

Do it!

Old 09-18-2006, 08:16 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Andym

This may sound like a really stupid question, but I need some help here.

For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to ride. I've dreamt of me cruising a country road with friends from the saddle of my own Softail custom. As my 43rd birthday approaches, I've reached a point where I feel like i've got to to it.

So here's my problem. My father was a physician and never hesitated to share with me the stories of patients brought to the emergency room having suffered an accident on a motorcycle. My 15 year old daughter is absolutely scared to death that her father (me for those of you keeping score) will kill himself if he gets on a bike. And my wife is about as likely to approve of my getting a bike as she is likely to sprout wings and fly. And just for the record, all things being equal, I'm not in favor of dying or becoming paralyzed either.

But after all that, I still have this insatiable desire to get on that Deluxe, listen to those dual fishtails and just go.

How do I reconcile my common sense with my dream?

Andy.

BUY ONE...AND RIDE IT

Old 09-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Paintrain
Banned

ORIGINAL: liltrk

I find it interesting the number of people who get a Harley shortly after a life threatening event such as cancer. Its as if they haven't been living before that, then all of a sudden they realize " Hey!, Life really IS a limited term engagement. I better start doing what I REALLY want"

If you REALLY want this, I think you should do it. But make the best of the advice posted above.
That's exactly what happened to me (I guess I've got a short memery) 3 years ago It's the reason I got my ZRX 1200. Thought I was dying. Two bikes later I graduated to an HD. (ALL TRUE)

I change my vote to "get it you only live once".

The way I'm fip-flopping I must be a Demecrat.[sm=joke.gif][sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 09-18-2006, 08:51 PM
clg9mm
Advanced

You can die living or you can live dying...either way in the end your still just as dead.

Quick Reply: Freedom vs. Fear