General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freedom vs. Fear

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 01:15 PM
fatrob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Freedom vs. Fear

I'd say go for it. Like you I had never ridden until 2 years ago. At aged 43 I decided I had waited long enough and wanted to learn to ride and get my own bike. Family were not really in favour, as none of them had ever ridden bikes.

I enrolled on the Rider's Edge training course (in England this is a 5-day intensive course, with the statutory test on the 6th day) - the best thing I ever did.

Got myself a Sportster first, then recently traded up to a Heritage Softail.

Sure, as everyone has said, the risks are higher - sure, you could get killed. Just like in a car, on a train, in a plane, etc. Everything is a risk - it's a matter of trying your hardest to manage the risk. You can never account for the 'other guy' of course, but it's the same when you're driving your car.

As for your wife, well she might just take to biking. Mine has no interest in riding herself but ALWAYS wants to pillion with me whenever I go out - it's kinda given us a new, shared interest which is nice. Be careful, sure, but go do it!!!

Old 09-18-2006, 01:22 PM
03RK
Cruiser

I am 40 years old and I am new rider, started riding 5 months ago and it was the best decsion that I have made in a long time. I also enrolled in the MSF rider course. Taking the course was the best $250.00 that I ever spent. I constantly use the techniques that we learned in class and I also catch myself when I am falling into bad habits. When I first statrted to ride after taking the course I was scared to death, now I am more relaxed, I always keep my guard up and trust know one. The FREEDOM is worth the risk!

Old 09-18-2006, 01:25 PM
saidin43
Cruiser

It is hard when loved ones have such fear of something like that. I had to deal with this with my parents. I had to wait till I didn't live with them to buy a motorcycle, they would've felt responsible if they let me buy a motorcycle and something happened to me. Once I left home, I bought one a few months later ! Of course, you can't really do the same.

I did run into a similar situation when I wanted to pick up paintball. The parents didn't want me playing with projectile weapons, but once I gave em a presentation showing them the safety gear that is required at paintball fields, and the strict rules, they felt that I would be safe, and they let me go...that was about 10 years ago.

But what I find might help you is to educate the people that are worried. Usually irrational fear is born out of ignorance. While it is true that many people are hurt or killed on motorcycles, there are many more that are just fine and riding.

I would say start with the MSF course, maybe you can have your wife go with you for the instructional portion or something like that. I think she'd feel much better if she saw what is involved and the type of things you'd be learning. Heck maybe you could have hre just take the whole course with you, she might like it

Next I would talk to the loved ones about the gear that is involved - helmet, pants, jacket, boots, gloves. Let them know how the properly designed items can help you if something should happen. Plan it all out, and get items of good quality. This will also help assuage the loved ones that even if something should occur, you are as protected as possible.

I would also check out this site http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...helmet_review/ It has some very interesting info on helmets and crash statistics. You may even want to try searching for motorcycle crash statistics too.

Also, if you know anyone who rides motorcycles, see if you can go in rides with them to start after the MSF course, it helps to have an experienced rider by your side when you start to ride.

Overall, it is a risk, but if the proper precautions are taken, you'll be riding and loving it.

Good luck

Old 09-18-2006, 01:41 PM
buzzingstrings
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well said everybody!
go for it andym, you wont regret it once yer ridin on the open road!

Old 09-18-2006, 02:14 PM
kjriv
Road Warrior

Nearly every job/hobby has its own set of "horror stories" - talk to any cop/fireman. I also have some nurse friends who've been 'stuck" with needles. They're still working as nurses tho.

And nearly everything you do in the course of your daily life carries with it some form of risk as well. That however doesn't stop you from crossing the street, going to the store, swimming in the ocean, walking the dog, driving the kids to school, etc. ; you get my drift.

As for riding, take the MSF course, and get some riding time under your belt. That'll help you overcome the fear. You can ride in a somewhat controlled environment where you can acquire skills you'll need for the street. Is it dangerous?...yes. BUT is it worth it....definitely. The sensation of freedom you have on the road is second to none. You just always need to maintain your focus and awareness, expect the unexpected, and ride with the assumption that the folks around you REALLY don't see you. That'll help avoid alot of BS.

In the end, realize that if its your number, its your number regardless of where you are or what you're doing. All you can really do with anything is have some faith in the man upstairs and enjoy life as much as possible.

Good luck in any case!

Old 09-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Paintrain
Banned

Skydiving is less dangerous than bike riding. I think they are right. (yea I said it)

The only reason I haven't been run over more than once since getting back into riding 3 yrs ago is all the experience falling off bikes in NY 20 yrs ago (combined with being less impulsive-ie stupid). You didn't say experience if any. If you've never ridden before you're doomed (not a guarantee just a belief, Your results may vary).
Just yesterday coming up to the intersection to Battlefield HD, BIG black pickup in front of me ran right threw the red light. Started slowing down on the other side of the intersection. The fact that there were no bikes leaving BHD and crossing in front of this idiot is a miracle. The would have died if they were lucky (a car driver would have miner injuries at worst).
I have been T-bone by a Dodge Durango while driving a small Mitsubishi. Me totaled (NO INJURIES) Durango cracked headlight. If I had been on a bike I'd be dead five times over.
I'm just getting tired of riding while paranoid. (too hard to enjoy the ride.
I'm actually debating getting out of riding.

Not what you wanted to hear?

(All names, dates, facts, figures etc. in above post have been slightly change to protect all idiots involved. Void ware prohibited by law, all claims made are reletive & your results may vary.)

Old 09-18-2006, 02:20 PM
Paintrain
Banned

ORIGINAL: dr_trousers

Came around a corner and some jerk in a huge white pick up had completely drifted into my lane. I swerved to avoid him but made the mistake of jamming on my front brakes as I was going over the gravel on the side of the road. Bike slide out from under me. I hit the road but fortunately, the bike hit mostly dirt and grass and was on the non pipes side. Not too much damage to the bike (tanks scratched up, spring is dented, and needs new grips, bars and some chrome). Me, not so lucky. I hit my head hard, screwed up my shoulder and broke 2 ribs. At least I had on my leather and helmet.

I have only been on the bike a month and a half and wonder if I was more expereinced, I could have avoiding going down. A few people stopped but not the f-er in the truck. Oh well, hopefully I got my one spill out of my system!

Oh, and I gave a presentation 2 hours later in front of 30 people with two broken ribs and all!
Good thing for a helmet but makes the point. (not to mix and match posts but I bet you had quiet exhaust, SE included) ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:37 PM
firemankrug
Outstanding HDF Member

Andy, after reading the posts on this thread I think most of the safety issues have been hit, I'll just add this, I think most people that start riding later in life look at the "what if" factor. My advice, life is for living, follow your dream. As for the family concerns, it took me two years of talking to get the wife to go along with me buying a Harley, and now she loves going for rides with me. So if getting on a bike is something you really want, go for it.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:40 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I find it interesting the number of people who get a Harley shortly after a life threatening event such as cancer. Its as if they haven't been living before that, then all of a sudden they realize " Hey!, Life really IS a limited term engagement. I better start doing what I REALLY want"

If you REALLY want this, I think you should do it. But make the best of the advice posted above.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:52 PM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member

In deference to your daughter's anxiety, my counsel, if you wish to call it that, is to wait until she is an adult and no longer financially and emotionally dependent on you. After that, get yourself a $500,000.00 life insurance policy with a double payout in the event of accidental death. Name wifey and your child as co-beneficiaries. Then go out and get the yourself the biggest, baddest, bike you can find. I suspect that you may, at that point, have their blessings.

Sometimes delayed gratification can be the sweetest tasting gratification of all.

<><Peace

Quick Reply: Freedom vs. Fear