General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I screwed up! Melt down

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by weekender2098
I screwed up!

I have entered the point of no return. I rode in the rain yesterday to work. Of course when I arrived at work the rain stopped and the rest of the day was clear and beautiful. It only seems to rain when I’m riding so to get my bike wet and dirty in every nook and cranny.
So, I hop off my bike thinking no problem, I have a micro fiber towel.
Mr. Clean smartass that I am I start wiping my bike down. Oh, this is great my bike is getting clean and dry again. WTF!!! I touch the micro fiber towel on my pipes and bam! the towel melts instantly on my pipe. What are micro fiber towels made of? Crap! My heart is racing because these are brand new Vance and Hines pipes and my brand new 2010 Harley. I hook up with a guy at work and he tells me don’t worry I have some bad *** solvent crap that will take that s#it off guaranteed. As we are walking outside to my bike I’m starting to feel a little better having all the confidence in the world that this stuff will wipe it clean. Heck, my bud at work has never let me down before.
So here we go…I get on one knee place some of this magic solvent on a rag, reach towards my ugly stained pipes and start to rub. ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING COMES OFF, NOT A DAMN THING! My friend at work is speechless but manages to say WTF! “This crap works on anything all the time”. I reply “not this time”.
Now I have to work 9 hours thinking about my pipes all day. The work day is done so I ride home and hop off the bike and stare at that ugly melted spot. I try everything-lacquer thinner, WD-40, scratch remover, 3 types of waxes, chrome polish, easy-off oven cleaner, a buffer. I finally manage to remove 98% of the melted crap but can’t help to noticed I have screwed up; I have very fine scratches on the chrome. I’m not happy!!!

Now I’m at the point of no return. Thanks for reading this truly sad but true story of mine. I go back in the house, crack open a beer and start drinking.
By the way, I started writing this at 4:30 in the morning because I can’t sleep, just thinking about my stupid micro towel debacle.

Ride safe.
Weekender
Just think of the wonderful thing you did for your coworkers.

They'll be gossiping about this one for years to come!

Old 10-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Rick-e
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give it up already. Mr. 140 IQ has moved on, leaving us Normals and Dull Normals to amuse ourselves.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:02 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Ive used steel wool and aluminium foil on some mag wheels yrs ago,, I wont ever use either one again unless U want some dull looking chrome. the foil put scratches the only one I tried it on.. I did it to remove minor rust spots,, looked better with the rust than it did dull...

Old 10-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Trucky911
Sorry about your pipes but, I think your a little annal about keeping it clean..Just sayin'....

Trucky911
I agree.Just ride it.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Fnortner
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No such thing as "too ****" about keeping a Harley clean. That's like saying "that bikes cool, but it's just too clean." Huh?

Old 10-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by Fnortner
No such thing as "too ****" about keeping a Harley clean. That's like saying "that bikes cool, but it's just too clean." Huh?
One can bring joy to a cold rainy Saturday by popping a few beers and detailing his bike.

Especially if the alternative is "chores".

Old 10-24-2010, 07:16 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
One can bring joy to a cold rainy Saturday by popping a few beers and detailing his bike.

Especially if the alternative is "chores".

Got a set of 80 spoke wheels sitting around that would LOVE to bring you some joy and they will bring their own rags & beer .

Old 10-24-2010, 07:41 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Got a set of 80 spoke wheels sitting around that would LOVE to bring you some joy and they will bring their own rags & beer .

Waaaaay more fun on your own stuff! LOL

Old 10-24-2010, 11:18 PM
phrogflyer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Recently running engine = hot exhaust pipes. Make note of that.
but the rain should have cooled it!
that's what someone with an IQ of 140 would say. lol.