General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I screwed up! Melt down

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 06:51 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeez some of ya'll are HARSH! I was gonna tell ya about the time I parked under a tree for the shade and came back to a brand new white paint job, but I don't think I will now!!! Must be nice to be perfect and never do anything dumb.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:59 PM
firefighter156
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by weekender2098
I screwed up!

I have entered the point of no return. I rode in the rain yesterday to work. Of course when I arrived at work the rain stopped and the rest of the day was clear and beautiful. It only seems to rain when I’m riding so to get my bike wet and dirty in every nook and cranny.
So, I hop off my bike thinking no problem, I have a micro fiber towel.
Mr. Clean smartass that I am I start wiping my bike down. Oh, this is great my bike is getting clean and dry again. WTF!!! I touch the micro fiber towel on my pipes and bam! the towel melts instantly on my pipe. What are micro fiber towels made of? Crap! My heart is racing because these are brand new Vance and Hines pipes and my brand new 2010 Harley. I hook up with a guy at work and he tells me don’t worry I have some bad *** solvent crap that will take that s#it off guaranteed. As we are walking outside to my bike I’m starting to feel a little better having all the confidence in the world that this stuff will wipe it clean. Heck, my bud at work has never let me down before.
So here we go…I get on one knee place some of this magic solvent on a rag, reach towards my ugly stained pipes and start to rub. ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING COMES OFF, NOT A DAMN THING! My friend at work is speechless but manages to say WTF! “This crap works on anything all the time”. I reply “not this time”.
Now I have to work 9 hours thinking about my pipes all day. The work day is done so I ride home and hop off the bike and stare at that ugly melted spot. I try everything-lacquer thinner, WD-40, scratch remover, 3 types of waxes, chrome polish, easy-off oven cleaner, a buffer. I finally manage to remove 98% of the melted crap but can’t help to noticed I have screwed up; I have very fine scratches on the chrome. I’m not happy!!!

Now I’m at the point of no return. Thanks for reading this truly sad but true story of mine. I go back in the house, crack open a beer and start drinking.
By the way, I started writing this at 4:30 in the morning because I can’t sleep, just thinking about my stupid micro towel debacle.

Ride safe.
Weekender
Been there done that. The scratches are likely there to stay. I have had success with a product called Goo Gone. Buy it almost anywhere. Put some on, let it sit for an hour or two or three and wipe it off. If it's on the heat shield, just buy a replacement heat shield. No big deal. Good luck.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:24 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

0000 steel wool and WD40. I use it all the time and it does not scratch chrome.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:31 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSwede
Jeez some of ya'll are HARSH! I was gonna tell ya about the time I parked under a tree for the shade and came back to a brand new white paint job, but I don't think I will now!!! Must be nice to be perfect and never do anything dumb.

I hear ya , defiantly a tough crowd but suspect there's more than a few glass houses here too . Did the paint have little green and black flecks in it ?

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 10-24-2010 at 04:34 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:38 PM
dstonemega
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't give a **** about your IQ, lulz.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:34 AM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by weekender2098
I may have done a stupid thing but I’m not a dumbass. As a matter of fact I have a 140 IQ.
I’m also a very successful top executive with the 4th largest multimedia company in the world.
Sounds to me that the stupidest thing you did was try to use you executive position to do a "real man's" job.
Didn't your momma ever tell you that wearing a neck tie all the time chokes off the oxygen to your brain?
Five bucks says that the zit faced dude that works in your mail room would have had that melted rag off in no time at all. Your IQ may be 140, however your common sence leaves a lot to be desired.
Good luck with your pipes RUB.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:43 AM
Ramona
Cruiser

weekender2098....the same thing happened to me..
I used an orbital sander with 80 grit and it came right off....press down hard.

Don't let the snide remarks get you down.....
My IQ is 150, and I'm the top executive in the largest multia media corporation in the world....also a hard-core biker

Had a bug splat on my windshield once, but that's another story......

Old 10-24-2010, 04:31 AM
wiredwilly
Tourer

how much IQ do we need to clean a bike, maybe he used to much.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:33 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramona
My IQ is 150, and I'm the top executive in the largest multia media corporation in the world....also a hard-core biker
Too many things wrong with that statement to begin cracking on it , lose the " Biker " you may have shot at selling it .

Old 10-24-2010, 06:34 AM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow.......What a bunch of pr!cks

Quick Reply: I screwed up! Melt down