General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I screwed up! Melt down

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Like others have said, and not to be sarcastic, live & move on. Yes you scratched the chrome a bit so if it bothers you that much just spend some of that executrive pay to have them re-coated, or get new pipes. Cycles & accessories are materialistic/dispensable - there are alot of worse things in life to worry about so "don't sweat the small stuff."

Last edited by Iceman24; 10-23-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: sp
Old 10-23-2010, 12:53 PM
DMorr99
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JerryL
Why would you even attempt to wipe off wet road grime after a ride, without doing a real wash job? You smear those dirt particles around on your paint, scratching it needlessly. If it hasn't been named yet, Neverdull, works good on getting stuff off of chrome. I've pulled many so called dumbshit moves in my life, and will continue, I guess. Some forum members just jump at the chance to call someone a dumbass. It's the keyboard commando world we live in today. Personally, I won't call someone a dumbass online, unless I'm willing to do it in person.
If I am not mistaken that Neverdull is cotton wadding in a can treated with some type of chemical. From what I remember from the Corps that stuff had cotton seed particles imbedded in the wadding and it will scratch your chrome. Don't ask me how I know that... from experience..if we are talking about the same chit.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:58 PM
DMorr99
Road Master

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Like others have said, and not to be sarcastic, live & move on. Yes you scratched the chrome a bit so if it bothers you that much just spend some of that executrive pay to have them re-coated, or get new pipes. Cycles & accessories are materialistic/dispensable - there are alot of worse things in life to worry about so "don't sweat the small stuff."
Yeah man use some of that exec pay to have them recoated or better yet just buy a new bike. You guys got money to burn yo! Big EXEC in the house!

Old 10-23-2010, 01:07 PM
len_atwork
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what the IQ had to do with any of it??? My daughter was 7 when they pegged her with an IQ of 132, but she's still capable of doing stupid *****. Most learning comes from experience. You just learned a few things: 1. Even after riding in the rain an exhaust heat shield is hot enough to melt plastic. 2. Micro fiber seems to be made of plastic. (Thanks! I didn't know that for sure til now)

Old 10-23-2010, 02:18 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by CWDoc115
Be gratefull that you didn't touch the pipe with your bare skin! Major pain!
Not to mention how difficult it is to get burn skin off the pipes.

Take the bike for a ride, get the pipes good and hot. Scrape the majority of the melted crap off with a soft piece of wood.
Then let the pipes cool down. Polish the rest off. Nevr-Dull cotton wadding works good or use your choice of polish.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:27 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Run the bike get the pipe hot and dunk a rag in COLD water and do a fast swipe it will take most of that crap off , keep the rag cold . After that like a post said live & learn .

PS scotch brite or steel wool is going to scratch the chrome how ever finely period .

Old 10-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When possible, I try to use a damaged part as an excuse to upgrade that part to a better version. Head game, but kills the pain fairly well.

PS scotch brite or steel wool is going to scratch the chrome how ever finely period .
True dat. It makes me cringe how often I see someone recommend steel wool, after I personally used it to destroy good chrome.

Last edited by Faast Ed; 10-23-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:18 PM
SMF
Banned

Hahahahahaha lesson learned right?

Old 10-23-2010, 03:23 PM
JerryL....
Banned

Originally Posted by BB4xl
I don't think you are Dumbass. Altought there are alot of arrogant asses on this forum. Like insulting you when you feel dumb enough. You made a mistake, won't do that again. Neverdull might work. Worse comes to worse heat sheids. I never had my IQ tested. Altought I have met a lot of engineers that didnt have the common sense to come in out of the rain. As a prof. I had once told me "College doesn't make you smart it just educates you". Don't panic over the bike getting dirty next time. I understand you want it to look good ,but next time wait and clean it right. When I see a dirty bike I think now theres a rider not a polisher.
I never miss a chance to bring this video back up. LOL. "The polisher."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpOBgvHmqf4

Old 10-23-2010, 03:25 PM
JerryL....
Banned

Originally Posted by DMorr99
If I am not mistaken that Neverdull is cotton wadding in a can treated with some type of chemical. From what I remember from the Corps that stuff had cotton seed particles imbedded in the wadding and it will scratch your chrome. Don't ask me how I know that... from experience..if we are talking about the same chit.
I don't know. I've used it and it worked great.

Quick Reply: I screwed up! Melt down