General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I screwed up! Melt down

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 10:46 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, there's really only one thing to do....you've now got a rat bike, and it's time to buy another one for polishing and riding in pristine weather conditions!

As for the dumbshit comments....there's not a member of this forum that hasn't pulled a dumbshit move at some time in their life.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:05 AM
JerryL....
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weekender2098
Thank you for your advice. One of you basically called me a dumbass. I’m not arguing that I’m not a dumbass on this particular incident.
Everyone in their life will make some dumb mistake. I may have done a stupid thing but I’m not a dumbass. As a matter of fact I have a 140 IQ.
I’m also a very successful top executive with the 4th largest multimedia company in the world.
I will try the aluminum foil trick but I think those fine scratches are here to stay. Oh well s#it happens.

I guess I will do that now so I can get a long ride in today—not raining today.
Thanks again
Why would you even attempt to wipe off wet road grime after a ride, without doing a real wash job? You smear those dirt particles around on your paint, scratching it needlessly. If it hasn't been named yet, Neverdull, works good on getting stuff off of chrome. I've pulled many so called dumbshit moves in my life, and will continue, I guess. Some forum members just jump at the chance to call someone a dumbass. It's the keyboard commando world we live in today. Personally, I won't call someone a dumbass online, unless I'm willing to do it in person.

Last edited by JerryL....; 10-23-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:07 AM
JerryL....
Banned

Combined into above post.

Last edited by JerryL....; 10-23-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:16 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by JerryL
Why would you even attempt to wipe off wet road grime after a ride, without doing a real wash job? You smear those dirt particles around on your paint, scratching it needlessly. If it hasn't been named yet, Neverdull, works good on getting stuff off of chrome.

Yes, how dare you pull a stunt like that?

Looks like we're gonna have to convene the HDForum disciplinary council to deal with this blatant case of HD abuse.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:26 AM
JerryL....
Banned

Originally Posted by krusty1
Yes, how dare you pull a stunt like that?

Looks like we're gonna have to convene the HDForum disciplinary council to deal with this blatant case of HD abuse.
Well, what I meant was krusty, was to go on into work, ride the thing home dirty, and wash it at home.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:48 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by JerryL
Well, what I meant was krusty, was to go on into work, ride the thing home dirty, and wash it at home.
Just joking around, Jerry!

You're quite right, of course....wiping down a dirty bike (even a dirty wet bike, with a wet pure cotton towel or microfiber, without frequent fresh rinse) will move around all the dirt particles and result in fine scratches all over. And even when you can find a hose somewhere out on the road it's important to never use paper towels on the bike (and the windshield if you've got one) because the cellulose is plenty hard enough to scratch paint. You need lots of water, and frequent washing of the microfiber. Start at top of bike and work down.

Or better yet, realize that a dirty bike is a ridden bike, and only wash the damn thing when you can do so carefully. Dirt and bugs just mean a bike's been out on the road where it belongs.

Hell, the first scratches, chips, and dings are always the worst!

Old 10-23-2010, 11:51 AM
JerryL....
Banned

Originally Posted by krusty1
Just joking around, Jerry!

You're quite right, of course....wiping down a dirty bike (even a dirty wet bike, with a wet pure cotton towel or microfiber, without frequent fresh rinse) will move around all the dirt particles and result in fine scratches all over. And even when you can find a hose somewhere out on the road it's important to never use paper towels on the bike (and the windshield if you've got one) because the cellulose is plenty hard enough to scratch paint. You need lots of water, and frequent washing of the microfiber. Start at top of bike and work down.

Or better yet, realize that a dirty bike is a ridden bike, and only wash the damn thing when you can do so carefully. Dirt and bugs just mean a bike's been out on the road where it belongs.

Hell, the first scratches, chips, and dings are always the worst!
+1 Dirt and bugs usually ride around with me for more than one or two rides. LOL

Old 10-23-2010, 11:54 AM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you are Dumbass. Altought there are alot of arrogant asses on this forum. Like insulting you when you feel dumb enough. You made a mistake, won't do that again. Neverdull might work. Worse comes to worse heat sheids. I never had my IQ tested. Altought I have met a lot of engineers that didnt have the common sense to come in out of the rain. As a prof. I had once told me "College doesn't make you smart it just educates you". Don't panic over the bike getting dirty next time. I understand you want it to look good ,but next time wait and clean it right. When I see a dirty bike I think now theres a rider not a polisher.

Last edited by BB4xl; 10-23-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,981 Likes on 4,173 Posts
Default Boot rubber

I have noticed that the boot rubber that gets on my pipe tends to rub off better after its had time to cook a few times. Also your going to need a 6" buffing wheel on a high speed motor with some polishing compound if you take steel wool to them. Once you have that flat scratched look it usually takes a 1/ buffing wheel or 2/ some fast hard elbow grease with a cotton pad and polishing compound. If your are under 40, 2 will work. Over 40 and it's a pain

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 10-23-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:30 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

Be gratefull that you didn't touch the pipe with your bare skin! Major pain!

Quick Reply: I screwed up! Melt down