General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WINTER's coming how cold do you ride and what do you wear.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 09:55 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As long as there is no ice, I'll ride.

Last year, I rode ~25 miles in 6°F.

How? I wear a lot of ski stuff: base layers, ski pants, jacket, gloves, glove liners, and a full-face.

Skiing gear is designed to keep you warm and dry at very cold temperatures in extreme weather. It works on the bike.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:36 AM
xk207
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coldest temp was 7 degrees. Insulated underwear, jeans, sweater, leather jacket and leather pants was good for about 45 minutes and then I was ready to find some heat.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:39 PM
DMorr99
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Europe and we wear Speedos year 'round!

Old 10-23-2010, 01:52 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackheat
Winter time is almost hear on the east coast. What is the coldest you have ridden in and what do you wear? For me I wear long johns and flannel lined jeans and 2 pair insulated socks of course with heavy leather jacket.
The coldest with wind chill was high 30's low 40's
Coldest so far 14 degrees, before windchill
Gear worn, leather jacket, gore-tech gloves, full face helmet, leather balaclava, flannel shirt, jeans, insulated carhartt overalls, Battery operated glove liners, boots.
Distance rode was ≈120 miles.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:21 PM
JC650
Road Captain

I will go into the teens and I dont have any specific clothing. I just layer on a bunch of stuff and hope it works.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:41 PM
BHBlacky
5th Gear

You obviously haven't tried ice racing? If it ain't cold you ain't dry. IF the ice isn't thin it can slush up so colder is better. I've been to zero and lower but when you're on a track wearing Daymart's you will sweat. All the exertion.
Road riding is colder with a 20+ degree difference.
Worst thing to watch for is your eyes and face. Make darned sure they're protected or you can freeze them.
I've been in S. Florida for 24 years but I still go to Savannah and have actually been to Daytona at low thirties.
Heavy socks, boots with the heating pads from the big sports shops,, gaiters to close the gaps, insulated gauntlets, sweat pants under my leather pants, same with top end , dicky(for those of you too young, it extends from about my shoulderblades and chest up past my mouth kinda like a turtleneck with out the bottom part). And a good full face helmet and shield. If done right you can still be comfortable with only a little discomfort on the extremes.
But hey, it's all good.

Blacky

Old 10-24-2010, 02:16 AM
psyco1
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 11FatBob
Chaps or riding pants?
Chaps have a hole where your *****, Mr. Happy and *** are, riding pants don't. Think about it.

Mid 20's and dry for about a half hour are about my limit with the current gear unless I layer up and head south.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:36 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Same here. I've ridden in mid 20's, for about a half hour it isn't too bad. Beyond that and it's no longer what I'd consider enjoyable.

I have ridden my dirtbike on the ice, zero is about my cutoff there but I usually have warmer gear and for the most part I'm not going freeway speeds either.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:51 AM
SGAL1
Advanced

I used to live in Morrison, Colorado and worked in Boulder.
I would consistantly ride if the weather was forcast to be 30 degrees or above. I remember one day a blizzard snuck in over the mountains while I was at work. That ride home was white out conditions and I believe the temperature was twenty something. The snow was really comming down hard....sideways and sticking like crazy. Several inches had accumulated on my foothills route home. I will never forget the look on the peoples faces as they drove past me in their cars, only to spin out in front of me, several landing in the ditch ahead. My feet were sometimes out like pontoons. I made the trip in Jeans, my lined leather jacket, some gauntlet gloves, my trusty army sling that I have always used to cover my face in extreme cold, and my black wool stocking cap. When I got home my wife said I looked like a snow man with icecles hanging off my nose. I'll never forget that ride.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:16 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

The only time I wear my chaps are when it's cold, makes a HUGE difference, mine are lined. Other than that I do the layered thing as well. Full face helmet and leather jacket. I don't ride until the temps get in the mid 40's and above. Hell, I'm retired now so I can pick and choose my days to ride.

Quick Reply: WINTER's coming how cold do you ride and what do you wear.