The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rant alert..Improper use of engineering terms

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 08:54 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 10-22-2010, 09:21 PM
vwmark
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=rizzo;7444039]So let me get this straight, when the mass exceeds the maximum bending moment and the modulus of elasticity has been exceeded resulting in permemant deformation, what type of failure is it ?[/quote

Busted.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:26 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,682 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by rizzo
So let me get this straight, when the mass exceeds the maximum bending moment and the modulus of elasticity has been exceeded resulting in permemant deformation, what type of failure is it ?
Failure to communicate, havnt you been paying attention?

Old 10-22-2010, 09:27 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,034 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by FBRR
"Aren't you special."
No, I have been lucky enough to have an education,
[/COLOR]
So you're counting grade school? I don't know where you got your education, but my fourth grade English teacher would have given your post a D-. As long as I can understand what someone is saying I don't care about their spelling and grammar, just don't be bragging about education.

Last edited by nevil; 10-22-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:58 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,539 Likes on 932 Posts

Ed Norton said it best. "The armature sprocket is causing interference; which, in turn, causes the combustion line to interfere with the flow in the Dynaflow.

The Honeymooners

Hey wasn't Norton a "subterranean engineer"

Old 10-22-2010, 10:27 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So........... before you eat X-lax, you call it a "Torque Multiplier".
After you have your big dump of the day, Is it a transmission again?
sounds like **** retention disorder, go have yourself a poop O.P, No one here is out to impress anyone. were just here because we share a common interest!
hatch.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:28 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

never mind.....
awwww. I missed it. the op deleted his post.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

I can easly accect poor spelling and grammer. ( I'm guilty of both without the use of spell check.)

I do however CRINGE when folks insist on using or improperly using real engineering "defined" terms.

Prehaps we can all agree on what certain TERMS really define.
If percise definition of terms doesn't bother you, you might wish to quit reading now..

Spark Knock!
There is no predetonation! term (predetonation is the condition that exsists BEFORE detonation OR normal operation!)

Detonation is KNOCK or PING and makes noise as the end gases explode before the burn is complete.i.e. End of combustion!

The OTHER term some are looking for is
PREIGNITION ! That is silent and is the lighting of a fresh charge of fuel before a spark event and will very quickly burn a HOLE in whatever melts first! Normally the piston dome!

Predetonation is exactly how an engine is designed to FUNCTION!
(before detonation!)

TORQUE AND HP.

Hp exsists in the presence of torque. Too many folks try to define the difference between TORQUE and HP.

Torque is the measure of rotational force! As in dynamometer output. That output is DIRECTLY ( as in the math sense of DIRECT relationships) related to HP. Torque is MEASURED directly.

HP is a define measure of HOW MUCH WORK can be done. ( a calculation from TORQUE at any given RPM ..)

When you MEASURE Torque, you can alway derive how much HP is being generated. They are not mutually exclusive as some folks seem to think or wish to define their function!
The Shape of a Torque curve explains how an engine will accelerate and product HP.

I often see the over simplification of Torque produces accelerationa and HP defines top speed. The fact is if a vehicle is accelerating HP (work is being accomplished) and Torque (rotational force that can be meaured) allows us to know how much WORK is being done at any given speed.

End of rant..Thanks for listening
Your Rant might be more effective if you actually knew what you were talking about.

Here is some suggested reading.

This is a High School / Community College textbook: Jack Erjavec (2005). Automotive technology: a systems approach. Cengage Learning. p. 630. ISBN 1401848311.

H.N. Gupta (2006). Fundamentals of Internal Combustion Engines. PHI Learning. pp. 169–173. ISBN 812032854X.

Daniel Hall (2007). Automotive Engineering. Global Media. p. 32. ISBN 8190457500.

Barry Hollembeak (2004). Automotive fuels & emissions. Cengage Learning. p. 165. ISBN 1401839045

Engine Basics: Detonation and Pre-Ignition by Allen W. Cline Accessed June 2007

Charles Fayette Taylor, Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice: Vol. 2, Revised Edition, MIT Press, 1985, Chapter 2 on "Detonation and Preignition", pp 34–85. ISBN 0-262-20052-X

Old 10-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by rizzo
So let me get this straight, when the mass exceeds the maximum bending moment and the modulus of elasticity has been exceeded resulting in permemant deformation, what type of failure is it ?
It's been stretched or compressed so much that when you release it, it does not return to it's original shape . . . it's elastic limit has been exceeded.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:01 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sorry I asked.

Quick Reply: Rant alert..Improper use of engineering terms